The number you dialed does not exist ??

SlowInternet

Executive Member
This has been going on since last year sometime.

When I phone a certain Telkom landline number I get a message "The number you dialed does not exist" when in actual fact is does exist. I only get this when I phone from a phone with a Vodacom simcard. When I use a MTN sim it works, when I use a telkom phone it works. VC customer service is hopeless.

Today I phoned them again and explained the problem in detail, the consultant tells me to hold on, then gets back to me and offers to give me the Telkom directory number so I can phone them and find out if the number exists. :wtf: This after me telling them that the number does exist.

So I'm asked to hold on again. They get back to me and tell me that I must take my phone and sim to a VC store to be tested because it might be the phone or sim card. :twisted: This after I told the consultant that my phone is working 100% and it also happens when I use my other VC sim that is in a different phone. So she tells me to take all my VC sim cards and all my phones to a VC store to be tested. I politely asked her how it can be that this only happens when using VC sim cards. The answer was "I do not know and I cannot help you." Then I'm asked to rate her service :mad::mad:

I'm really getting tired of VC not being able to assist with problems. I think after 17 years it is time to port to some other network.

ajax

Executive Member
You sure it's actually a Telkom number? It could've been ported to Neotel or to another provider.
It could be a routing table problem where Vodacom cannot reach this specific number.
Or if your VC simcards were ported from another network then the tables on your VC simcards (after porting) got screwed up.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
You sure it's actually a Telkom number? It could've been ported to Neotel or to another provider.
It could be a routing table problem where Vodacom cannot reach this specific number.
Or if your VC simcards were ported from another network then the tables on your VC simcards (after porting) got screwed up.
Sounds like with your scenarios are still a VC problem, they should just log a call and investigate.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
100% sure it is a Telkom number.

My numbers have always been with Vodacom.

If it is a routing table problem surely they must be able to fix it ?

Saajid

Expert Member
You need to get in touch with one of the Vodacom reps here on MyBB. They should be able to help you out. Call center staff are useless with problems requiring them to use even 1% of their brains.

isie

Executive Member
Did you try calling the number from another Vodacom sim card?

And I know you said its definately a telkom number but this situation does sound like a port that wasnt completed correctly

Venomous

Honorary Master
Did you try calling the number from another Vodacom sim card?

And I know you said its definately a telkom number but this situation does sound like a port that wasnt completed correctly
/kicks

in OP more than one sim and more than 1 phone/device is mentioned...

RockOn

Try call the number again but don't put down when you get the message "The number you dialed does not exist". Wait about 10sec and see if the call goes through after the message.
If it does then its a routing problem on Telkom network.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Try call the number again but don't put down when you get the message "The number you dialed does not exist". Wait about 10sec and see if the call goes through after the message.
If it does then its a routing problem on Telkom network.
Still no luck trying it this way.

When I was in Johannesburg city center I dialed the number and it was working! But the moment I'm back home again I get the same "The number you dialed does not exist" So how is it possible that it only works when I am in Johannesburg ? I have tried it with different phones and different VC simcards.

Jackknife

Your description is excellent. It happen with other SIMS too. Nobobody seems to have the answer. Everybody has theories and ideas, but they don't work. I would really like to know when you find an answer.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Your description is excellent. It happen with other SIMS too. Nobobody seems to have the answer. Everybody has theories and ideas, but they don't work. I would really like to know when you find an answer.
I know what the problem is. Its software problems within the network.
Erroneous or plain faulty SS7 signalling, because, as per usual, the number of people in this country who actually know what SS7 is, let alone are competent in it, are getting very thin on the ground.

MrNotW!se

Hi All, I have the same problem dialing a Telkom landline from a Telkom SIM (other SIMs can dial the number, and other numbers can be called from my SIM), but I have not tested the idea of dialing the number when Im in N-Jhb vs S-Jhb. Any updated solutions to this?

Gendibal

I have a similar problem but it's the other way around. My problem is that people calling me get a message saying that my number does not exist. But only some specific people have that problem, and they are on different networks - VC, FNB (CellC), MTN.
I've cancelled my FNB contract and moved to Telkom thinking that it was a CellC/FNB problem but the problem still persists. People still get a message saying that my number does not exist.

ShaunyCT

I have a similar problem but it's the other way around. My problem is that people calling me get a message saying that my number does not exist. But only some specific people have that problem, and they are on different networks - VC, FNB (CellC), MTN.
I've cancelled my FNB contract and moved to Telkom thinking that it was a CellC/FNB problem but the problem still persists. People still get a message saying that my number does not exist.
You might be a ghost.. lol. I assume you have contacted vodacom.

genetic

Honorary Master
You have call forwarding enabled to a number that has been incorrectly entered or is wrong. Check your call forwarding settings.