Uncapped ADSL bundles - price comparison

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
why is MWEBs pricing given on their product which is not intended for use outside of browsing? A proper comparison - ignoring the throttling issue - is the "premium" product which is priced in at R509.

* On a side note: MWEB has taken to putting on their website for "standard": http://www.mweb.co.za/productspricing/2/Home/ADSL/UncappedADSL.aspx
MWEB reserves the right to enforce its AUP Policy on ADSL services based on individual usage patterns and usage history.

this does not however appear on the "Premium" accounts which is were the issue is.

Syphonx

Expert Member
why is MWEBs pricing given on their product which is not intended for use outside of browsing? A proper comparison - ignoring the throttling issue - is the "premium" product which is priced in at R509.

* On a side note: MWEB has taken to putting on their website for "standard": http://www.mweb.co.za/productspricing/2/Home/ADSL/UncappedADSL.aspx
MWEB reserves the right to enforce its AUP Policy on ADSL services based on individual usage patterns and usage history.

this does not however appear on the "Premium" accounts which is were the issue is.
+1, It's a crippled account that gives the illusion of being the cheapest but value wise it should be avoided like the plague

Tns

Executive Member
mweb 2mb uncapped is R199 not R300 something although they now suck since moving 1 to 2 mb and i also got this annoying "MWEB Connect Acceptable Usage Policy" email crap.
So which isp is better then?

jetlee

2 years ago 10 meg uncapped for less that 1000 rand a month was a wet dream .. it may be slow, but we are moving at least

Necuno

Court Jester

Perhaps the article writers are not aware of this :eek:

absynth

Expert Member

+1 - I have also noticed that those accounts get used for comparison.

CeeBee

Expert Member
yeah the premium Mweb product is more 'uncapped' than the standard "uncapped".
i also got mail from Mweb about upping the ADSL line, from existing 1Mbps to faster... "You can change to the standard ADSL up to 2Mbps option for the same price. The latter allows about 70GB per the AUP. For the premium 2Mbps option, it is about 200GB."

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Wait, I thought MWeb were the most expensive?

if you were comparing apples they would come out as the most expensive
the problem with this article is that it is taking products which can't be compared.

F

Fudzy

if you were comparing apples they would come out as the most expensive
the problem with this article is that it is taking products which can't be compared.

That's really an opinion, as is the article if you want to argue it like that. Why not put a table that shows the price per GB?

CeeBee

Expert Member
That's really an opinion, as is the article if you want to argue it like that. Why not put a table that shows the price per GB?
to get a better view should get a table with acceptible usage Gig allowance?
for Mweb, e.g. the standard 2Mbps uncapped gives "about 70Gb allowance" whereas the premium gives "about 200Gb allowance"...
and surely all the ISPs gives a certain 'usage allowance" on uncapped, before they start frowning apon you, and start with the throttling?

but then... speed is also not everything... quality of connection also important... not so easy to measure

Zertop

Expert Member
to get a better view should get a table with acceptible usage Gig allowance?
for Mweb, e.g. the standard 2Mbps uncapped gives "about 70Gb allowance" whereas the premium gives "about 200Gb allowance"...
and surely all the ISPs gives a certain 'usage allowance" on uncapped, before they start frowning apon you, and start with the throttling?

but then... speed is also not everything... quality of connection also important... not so easy to measure

Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Afrihost and Axxess do not have fixed thresholds, but rather shape you when the network is under strain. This means that if the network is not under any strain, you can run into the TB's - however if it is under strain, you will be shaped :-(

Another thing is that on Afrihost - I get around 9ms ping to local servers and ~160ms ping internationally, however on telkom/openweb - I used to get 20ms to local and ~200ms internationally.

There are so many factors to consider, that it is almost impossible to create an accurate comparison of these things :/

Last edited:

CeeBee

Expert Member
yeah... too many factors involved to really get a black n white comparison.
speed and volume and quality to keep in mind
best is to test the different offerings, and stay with what works best for you.

i see Mweb has a 7day trial of the uncapped offerings. maybe the other too.

myself, i'm still on a capped account with AH... but with the pricing coming down so nicely, i'm starting to consider the uncapped options available

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master

that the products aren't of the same nature isn't an opinion - the very different intended use cases establishes that
A price per gig would be an interesting

If the article aimed to present the cheapest possible ADSL bundle then an explicit statement of working with the cheapest product should be made and then there would probably be a few other "browse" accounts - most of them have fallen by the way it seems.

F

Fudzy

that the products aren't of the same nature isn't an opinion - the very different intended use cases establishes that
A price per gig would be an interesting

If the article aimed to present the cheapest possible ADSL bundle then an explicit statement of working with the cheapest product should be made and then there would probably be a few other "browse" accounts - most of them have fallen by the way it seems.

The fact that you're not paying as much is usually an indication of a lesser product though isn't it? I'm not going to buy a Volkswagen Jetta and expect it to be a Rolls Royce.

EDIT: These can be weighed up against use cases.

Mweb: Throttles individual users after xx number of GB over 30 days
Afrihost: Shapes the across the network to reduce load
Cybersmart: ??