Vodacom will charge you to roll over mobile data

Because you are paying for a set amount of access to a resource within a specific time period...
No the norm is to pay for a set amount of a resource or for access for a set amount of time, not both.

I cannot believe Vodacom did this.
Ha, it's actually something I've come to expect from them. Says quite a lot.
 
lol, people are too lazy to move to another network.

Vodacom can double the prices and no one would even care.
 
So they're moving away from the OOB Shark, to the newly inducted......mmmm, what we gonna call this one.....the RO Hyena? (Roll Over Hyena) RO Piranha? RO Vulture?
 
At least one of the alternatives are not trying to screw you dry without foreplay.
No alternatives but MTN in my area, unless I go for rain and have uncapped (and really bad connection) whenever I am not at home. I prefer my 100+100 from vodacom @R600pm...
 
It's because of Vodacom and its OOB shark policies that data is measured in bytes??
 
It was Vodacom's data practices that inspired my move to safer waters.
But on the whole their business model seems to me to be more rapacious....less "how can we bring prices down and increase usage to up revenue".
Sadly, no sense of "providing a service to the citizens of South Africa and contributing to the growth of the country".
 
No alternatives but MTN in my area, unless I go for rain and have uncapped (and really bad connection) whenever I am not at home. I prefer my 100+100 from vodacom @R600pm...

But not everyone is in that boat, most have all the networks as an option yet stay with Vodacon and complain about being raped. Battered wife syndrome it seems.
 
So, you either pay for a new bundle, or you pay to have your current bundle extended, but pay will you pay. This should be illegal.
Yeah, as far as the ISP's are concerned, there are no changes. They'll find loopholes everywhere.
 
So waiting in the wings with very little lube is the method of how they will allocate this rolled over data , last in first out like their airtime. which mean you use current months data before the RO data, potentially paying for nothing
 
It's because of Vodacom and its OOB shark policies that data is measured in bytes??
It's pathetic really. Vodacom keeps sending me these get 100MB "free" SMSes. What can you do with 100MB? I pay R10 on Cell C for 1GB. It will probably cost me more than that in spend at Vodacom to get the 100MB.

These guys seriously need to get out of the dark ages and realise that data is no longer used in megabytes or even gigabytes but in terabytes while they are stuck in a byte mindset.
 
Funny all these people defending the principle that a data allocation should expire after a month. It's not milk. It's transmitting electrons and radio waves.

There is no intrinsic reason why 1GB of data that I buy today cannot be used tomorrow or three months from now, or why it would be difficult for a network to do that, especially considering they've been sitting on your money in the interim.

The only reason to structure it the way they do is greed and the continued confidence that the consumer will buy into their artificial paradigm of "expiring" data. A good demonstration of this attitude is how they will always use your newest bundle first.

I'm all for capitalism - they would be remiss if they didn't exploit the opportunities, but they've dipped their hands too deeply in the cookie jar and blown the illusion that expiring data in a few months is a necessary thing. If they want recurring revenue they'd be better off selling pure access time with a speed throttle, not access time plus a quantity limit.

I understand that bundles are sold with valid time periods, but the reasoning for that seems flawed to me. The cell companies always say it is so that they can manage their network and know that they have enough capacity. Have they ever refused to sell a data bundle because their allocation for the month was already at capacity? I doubt it. They will just keep selling, and if your connection speed becomes so slow as to be unusable they won't care. So they will sell more access to their network than they have capacity for, but you are not allowed indefinite access to your allocated data because they need to manage their network?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X