VW Up!

Boereraat

Man I'm really itching to hear more about the Up!

I'm looking at a 130k ish car at the mo, so i'm holding out a bit longer until the supposed press release in a week or two. Anyone on the inside with some info?

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Drove 'em last week. Very nifty l'il cabby - drives like a car twice its size. Surprisingly quiet and refined. Base price should be close to that R130k level, but closer to R145k for something with cruise control, height adjustable driver's seat, electric windows and the like.

As I mentioned in another thread though, initial supply is likely to be rather constrained. It's going to threaten the lower spec Vivos, and I suspect VW will attempt to protect its market. Hopefully they have local production of the Up! as a backup strategy.

Timber_MG

I drove an Up! rental in Germany a year and a bit ago and it was surprisingly capable for a small car it is, but it will be rather short of breath up at the reef. As always, trim will be cheapened for the local market. A Polo Match edition rental was a fun ride (firmly sprung) and the interior trim made the local Polo look like a peasant model.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
I drove an Up! rental in Germany a year and a bit ago and it was surprisingly capable for a small car it is, but it will be rather short of breath up at the reef. As always, trim will be cheapened for the local market. A Polo Match edition rental was a fun ride (firmly sprung) and the interior trim made the local Polo look like a peasant model.

All N/A cars suffer at Reef altitude. The Up!'s sub-950kg kerb weight helps though, and it feels a lot more nimble and responsive than the direct competitors we got to drive. I was hoping for a soft-touch dash, but everything felt very well put together and still translated to a pleasant drive.

As for the Polo Match... I can only assume you've not seen the post-facelift locally produced Polos? Don't see much different in the Match, other than more colourful upholstery and optional (I'd assume) climate control?

I am tempted to get one but i dont desire being a hijackers best friend.

I can't see it being a target. It's not a potential taxi, and it won't do well on central African roads. :p

kripstoe

Expert Member
Drove 'em last week. Very nifty l'il cabby - drives like a car twice its size. Surprisingly quiet and refined. Base price should be close to that R130k level, but closer to R145k for something with cruise control, height adjustable driver's seat, electric windows and the like.

Where did you drive it? I saw them in Germany last year. Looks very nice

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The more I read about the up! the more you realize what a "cool" car this is & one that is SA-entry-level buyers were crying out for.

No sarcasm but the up! with that front & rear skirt looks tops...

This car will be a huge hit with SA buyers; no doubt about that.

Attachments

• Pimp Up.jpg
    Pimp Up.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 661
  • up!.jpg
    up!.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 634
  • Prices & Options.jpg
    Prices & Options.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 674

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
The more I read about the up! the more you realize what a "cool" car this is & one that is SA-entry-level buyers were crying out for.

No sarcasm but the up! with that front & rear skirt looks tops...

This car will be a huge hit with SA buyers; no doubt about that.

Bit of a typo in the specs there - 3yr/120,000km service plan? :D

We received our first few today. We're not allowed to have 'em on the floor until Monday, nor on the road until Valentine's day... It is a genuinely sweet little car; I predict major supply constraints.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Bit of a typo in the specs there - 3yr/120,000km service plan? :D

We received our first few today. We're not allowed to have 'em on the floor until Monday, nor on the road until Valentine's day... It is a genuinely sweet little car; I predict major supply constraints.

Must be a huge type then as I took the image from the the site not long ago; they need to correct it asap then.

Let us know if the "hype" dies in a few months time & if sales level off etc

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Saw a nice looking one last week in the metal. It was blue with a big "Up!" decal on the door. I'm adding it to my very short list of VW products I like.

Colin62

Executive Member
Saw a nice looking one last week in the metal. It was blue with a big "Up!" decal on the door. I'm adding it to my very short list of VW products I like.

Just when you start thinking that some things will remain constant and never change...