Web Squad ISP

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Can somebody in Cape Town with a gigabit link run some tests to these servers and see if they see similar speeds?

1618828120551.png

Still trying to diagnose the slow speeds to Joburg. Steam download speeds have improved in the past weeks but it's still not where I expect it to be. It really feels like we're not quite ready for gigabit and I don't know if this is a ISP specific thing or a separate backhaul thing. The only way for me to determine that would be to test with a different ISP but that's not exactly easy.

I expect to see higher latency links have worse speeds than low latency links but that's not at all what I'm seeing, CPT to JHB is only ~20ms yet the speeds to Amsterdam and London are faster or on par with these at ~150ms. It just doesn't make sense.

JustinB

Can somebody in Cape Town with a gigabit link run some tests to these servers and see if they see similar speeds?

View attachment 1054987

Still trying to diagnose the slow speeds to Joburg. Steam download speeds have improved in the past weeks but it's still not where I expect it to be. It really feels like we're not quite ready for gigabit and I don't know if this is a ISP specific thing or a separate backhaul thing. The only way for me to determine that would be to test with a different ISP but that's not exactly easy.

I expect to see higher latency links have worse speeds than low latency links but that's not at all what I'm seeing, CPT to JHB is only ~20ms yet the speeds to Amsterdam and London are faster or on par with these at ~150ms. It just doesn't make sense.
I am in JHB with gigabit. I know that's not what you asked for, but happy to test anything if it helps.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I am in JHB with gigabit. I know that's not what you asked for, but happy to test anything if it helps.
I don't think users in JHB have any issues with speeds to JHB but maybe try running some speedtests to Cape Town and see what results you get.

Thanks!

Bionic

Expert Member
@websquadza - Lit up my service with WS and OS today. Overall a pleasant experience. I noticed that my internet has improved from the former ISP however have a concern about international latency. I connect to a server in Europe and latencies are not the best. You will notice that after 10th hop it gets into the 200ms. Another forumite with Octotel and WS tested the same route and was getting in the region of 180 till the destination. How is that possible?

1618859834403.png

Last edited:

Zodiak

Something is seriously wrong with the internet tonight, Evotel North Riding, local speed 5 mb and international almost 0, tried router reboot, testing via LAN cable to PC, horrific performance:

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Something is seriously wrong with the internet tonight, Evotel North Riding, local speed 5 mb and international almost 0, tried router reboot, testing via LAN cable to PC, horrific performance:

Looks like a last mile issue. I see you've submitted a ticket. Escalating to Evotel.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza - Lit up my service with WS and OS today. Overall a pleasant experience. I noticed that my internet has improved from the former ISP however have a concern about international latency. I connect to a server in Europe and latencies are not the best. You will notice that after 10th hop it gets into the 200ms. Another forumite with Octotel and WS tested the same route and was getting in the region of 180 till the destination. How is that possible?

View attachment 1055271

Any chance you can PM me a reverse traceroute from this Hetzner server (if you have access to it?). Will help narrow down this issue.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep