Web Squad ISP

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
My fibre been down the last couple hours. I see plenty of Octotel notices for the Blouberg area but nothing that indicates it should be down now.

@websquadza Any ideas?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Opened a ticket, I don't see anyone else here posting about this so it must be quite a localised outage.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I'm seeing weird PPPOE errors on the fibre link :(

Code:
Apr 21 11:51:05 Internet pppd[4322]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr 21 11:51:51 Internet pppd[4071]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr 21 11:52:20 Internet pppd[4322]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr 21 11:53:06 Internet pppd[4071]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

PPPOE on the ADSL link is working fine still so something has changed. Googling this error doesn't seem to help much, suggests it's something on the provider end.

Looking closer at my logs it looks like it started bugging out at around 1:54AM.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
I'm seeing weird PPPOE errors on the fibre link :(

Code:
Apr 21 11:51:05 Internet pppd[4322]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr 21 11:51:51 Internet pppd[4071]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr 21 11:52:20 Internet pppd[4322]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr 21 11:53:06 Internet pppd[4071]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

PPPOE on the ADSL link is working fine still so something has changed. Googling this error doesn't seem to help much, suggests it's something on the provider end.

Looking closer at my logs it looks like it started bugging out at around 1:54AM.
Those are sent/acknowledged packets on pppoe,so its timing out establishing connection

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Also the ticket system is broken.

First I opened up the ticket from inside the client area, but I cannot find it under my open tickets and have to access it directly from the URL.

Second, I've been replying just fine until now where it's throwing this error:
1619006898240.png

EDIT: Okay the second issue is because the client area keeps logging me out, but the error message wasn't clear that this was the issue.

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
My fibre been down the last couple hours. I see plenty of Octotel notices for the Blouberg area but nothing that indicates it should be down now.

@websquadza Any ideas?
My colleague on Webafrica in Blouberg was sounding like a robot on our MS Teams call earlier, so think they struggling as well.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
View attachment 1056229

Yep, connected it directly to the CPE with my laptop and same timeouts waiting for PPPOE.

Octotel Network Notice Update - Blouberg Node - 19 April 2021

✇ Octotel Notices
19 April 2021 at 15:59

By:
Dear Isp Partner,

Octotel technicians have identified the fibre break 3km from our node location and are on route to inspect the fibre line to assess and repair as soon as possible.

further updates to follow

Kind Regards

Octotel Noc

Octotel: Open Access Fibre Networks

www.octotel.co.za 0874700800

Dear Isp Partner,

Octotel Engineers will be performing Node maintenance in the following node:

Blouberg

Our engineers will be performing pon port tracing maintenance in the node which will result in certain customers in the area to lose connectivity for 5mins. No more than 20 customers will lose connectivity at a time.

Please see date and time of the maintenance schedule below:

Dates: Wednesday, 21 April 2021
Start time: 01:00am - 06:00am
Duration: 5 hours

Please find attached list of Roads that will be affected by the maintenance:

Willow rd
Rothesay rd
Wessels rd
Richmond
Winchester
Warwick rd
Sunbird Close
Blouzee MDU
Ruwallen cres
Saxon

If a customer loses connectivity between the maintenance windows it is the result of the scheduled maintenance.

Our Engineers will be on site to ensure down time is kept to an absolute minimum. During this time customers may experience intermittent to no connectivity.

Those notices both came through today via Rocketnets RSS feed. We with Octotel in CT CBD and our internet was dead today as well...

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Also the ticket system is broken.

First I opened up the ticket from inside the client area, but I cannot find it under my open tickets and have to access it directly from the URL.

Second, I've been replying just fine until now where it's throwing this error:
View attachment 1056205

EDIT: Okay the second issue is because the client area keeps logging me out, but the error message wasn't clear that this was the issue.

Will get the devs to look at these. is your failover connection via Telkom / Telkom Mobile by any chance?

We're definitely not learning your device MAC on our end, so there is a fault on the Octotel end. Our guys are looking into this and it has been escalated to Octotel.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

Octotel Network Notice Update - Blouberg Node - 19 April 2021

✇ Octotel Notices
19 April 2021 at 15:59

By:
Dear Isp Partner,

Octotel technicians have identified the fibre break 3km from our node location and are on route to inspect the fibre line to assess and repair as soon as possible.

further updates to follow

Kind Regards

Octotel Noc

Octotel: Open Access Fibre Networks

www.octotel.co.za 0874700800

Dear Isp Partner,

Octotel Engineers will be performing Node maintenance in the following node:

Blouberg

Our engineers will be performing pon port tracing maintenance in the node which will result in certain customers in the area to lose connectivity for 5mins. No more than 20 customers will lose connectivity at a time.

Please see date and time of the maintenance schedule below:

Dates: Wednesday, 21 April 2021
Start time: 01:00am - 06:00am
Duration: 5 hours

Please find attached list of Roads that will be affected by the maintenance:

Willow rd
Rothesay rd
Wessels rd
Richmond
Winchester
Warwick rd
Sunbird Close
Blouzee MDU
Ruwallen cres
Saxon

If a customer loses connectivity between the maintenance windows it is the result of the scheduled maintenance.

Our Engineers will be on site to ensure down time is kept to an absolute minimum. During this time customers may experience intermittent to no connectivity.

Those notices both came through today via Rocketnets RSS feed. We with Octotel in CT CBD and our internet was dead today as well...
I saw that too but I'm not any any of those roads. I guess they could have go their communication wrong, but it also should have ended at 6am...

CrypticZA

Expert Member
It's a Vox account.

Hope Octotel get back with some info soon, being off the entire day kind of sucks.
Our Octotel in CBD has been rather bad whole day but we a business account so i assume some things have been done to ensure uptime, we were down early this morning and recovered around 9am.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Support got back to me asked me to restart everything. Still broken :crying:
Been escalated to 2nd tier at Octotel. They got back to our team saying they were learning your MAC address, however it’s not making it to our NNI. They hoped the reboot would work.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
@websquadza I replied to my ticket now (also thanks it looks like somebody associated the ticket with my account correctly now).

PPPOE connection just started working again at around 10:05 this morning, Octotel called earlier to schedule a technician but nobody has been here yet. I would love to know what's going on, maybe they realised somebody broke something on their end or maybe my ONT has intermittent issues?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Update: Octotel called me and said they just remotely reset the ONT. Why they just didn't do this yesterday nobody knows :rolleyes: