Web Squad ISP

Seeyou

Expert Member
PPPoE session disconnected and wouldn't authorise again for a few mins. Back now though.

RazorCPT

Anyone else noticing Whatsapp not connecting when on Fibre/internet. Minute I switch to 4G it works. Fibre works for everything else.

Napalm

Expert Member
Trenched doesn't dial PPPOE, it's DHCP. Have you checked your Vumatel CPE for all the lights?
Mine came back online about 7pm. I did reboot my CPE and my wifi modem 3 times before logging the call. no change. then i just left it... and about 50min to 60min later it was back to normal. Not sure what changed or happened.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Mine came back online about 7pm. I did reboot my CPE and my wifi modem 3 times before logging the call. no change. then i just left it... and about 50min to 60min later it was back to normal. Not sure what changed or happened.

Seems to have been a general outage on Vuma’s side. Seeing multiple reports across the forum. But no official notice from vuma.

Napalm

Expert Member
When mine was giving issues, i switch to 8.8.8.8 , tried 8.8.4.4 15min later. made no difference.

Eventually i put 9.9.9.9 back. and left it . 1hour later it was all good again.

so something else was up there....or should i say "not up"

Last edited:

abudabi

Expert Member
@websquadza why did I think you had a link to asia? I noticed the apex servers in singapore is sitting at a hefty 250ms so that can't be a direct route, right?

Seeyou

Expert Member
@websquadza why did I think you had a link to asia? I noticed the apex servers in singapore is sitting at a hefty 250ms so that can't be a direct route, right?

They do, but there seem to have been some routing changes recently, and I've also been unable to get the super low pings from before. @websquadza is still to respond after taking a look at a few example IP's.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
They do, but there seem to have been some routing changes recently, and I've also been unable to get the super low pings from before. @websquadza is still to respond after taking a look at a few example IP's.
Looks like we're learning these prefixes via both PCCW (lower latency) and Cogent (fewer AS hops) in JHB. BGP favours AS hops (it's not smart enough to know anything about latency), so we've needed to tweak our route selection.

Linode have also been a little painful to manage because of their upstream with HE. HE have a great global network, but no direct paths between Singapore and SA. Which means that their return path choice is much longer.

We're working through the IPs and adjusting advertisements as best we can. Obviously, this is manual and can be a little hit and miss.

Seeyou

Expert Member
@websquadza - Noticed Cool Ideas are now advertising the top end package on Octotel as 1000/200. Was there a change in the package from Octotel or is this just a CISP thing?

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza - Noticed Cool Ideas are now advertising the top end package on Octotel as 1000/200. Was there a change in the package from Octotel or is this just a CISP thing?

It's been updated by Octotel. We haven't sent out comms, but our packages have been updated on the backend. I see our site needs an update as well. Will get that sorted asap.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Looks like we're learning these prefixes via both PCCW (lower latency) and Cogent (fewer AS hops) in JHB. BGP favours AS hops (it's not smart enough to know anything about latency), so we've needed to tweak our route selection.

Linode have also been a little painful to manage because of their upstream with HE. HE have a great global network, but no direct paths between Singapore and SA. Which means that their return path choice is much longer.

We're working through the IPs and adjusting advertisements as best we can. Obviously, this is manual and can be a little hit and miss.

Another Singapore Apex server IP with high latency: 107.6.119.208 and 107.6.117.246

This one looks like the routing goes through London first for some reason.

Quite a few other servers are back down to the ~140ms range though, so thanks for that.

Last edited: