Web Squad ISP

El Presidente

Expert Member
There has been no official comms from Vumatel with any ISPs in this regard - so unlikely that you will hear anything at this point - but. There are no commercials for a 10G product from Vumatel (or 2.5/5G for that matter). If anything does come of this, besides fluff pieces for MyBB, we will send out more info.

1G sounds plenty for this kind of usage... But yes, it would be great to break the 1G barrier in SA. It would also be great for local cloud to be able to deliver 1G speeds - there are still too many 1G only servers running services locally, which means we're putting the cart in front of the horse with 1G+ services.

I'd be much more excited for a 2.5G product than 10G to the home. You can get prosumer grade hardware affordably that can make the most of 2.5G. 10G needs some serious metal to work well.
It will probably require new ONTs that can handle 2.5/10 Gbps, and the router would probably have to use a sfp+ port to connect to the ONT? Don't think normal cables can do 10 Gbps, really?

Napalm

Expert Member
There has been no official comms from Vumatel with any ISPs in this regard - so unlikely that you will hear anything at this point - but. There are no commercials for a 10G product from Vumatel (or 2.5/5G for that matter). If anything does come of this, besides fluff pieces for MyBB, we will send out more info.

1G sounds plenty for this kind of usage... But yes, it would be great to break the 1G barrier in SA. It would also be great for local cloud to be able to deliver 1G speeds - there are still too many 1G only servers running services locally, which means we're putting the cart in front of the horse with 1G+ services.

I'd be much more excited for a 2.5G product than 10G to the home. You can get prosumer grade hardware affordably that can make the most of 2.5G. 10G needs some serious metal to work well.
Agree, babysteps. 2.5Gbit offering would be a step in right direction.

Pricing would also be more manageable

quovadis

Executive Member
Remember , some houses (like mine) has multiple 4K devices.

65inch 4K HDR x3 (1 in lounge, 1 in braai area, 1 in my room)
I also have a My cellphone, A tablet, a file server, my home PC, my Work laptop (thats just me)
My brother has a Cellphone, a tablet and his Home Gaming PC (which has gaming Screen 4k too)
My dad has his work laptop that he uses (he probably uses the internet least, mostly teams or youtube or training vids)

Yes we do have multiple AP's and Multiple network points around the house.
The amount of effort necessary to saturate a 10gbit/s link for any meaningful length of time is immense. Your scenario wouldn't require much more than a few hundred mbit at most.

craig1606

I did this some time ago. Migrated from Vuma to Openserve and couldn't be happier. Websquad did a stellar job with the switchover. I can't recall anything going wrong... So if there were any issues they must have been minor :)
Thanks. I'm going to do the migration as well.

craig1606

Happy to assist and this is a question we're seeing more frequently.

1.1. Both networks are great, but Openserve definitely has an edge these days in terms of stability and performance. Both use similar technologies for the last mile (GPON). Vumatel's maintenance still edges Openserve out (just slightly) - so it's a close call. We have fewer Openserve maintenance issues though.
1.2. Sales was right there, unfortunately these are two different FNOs and we are bound by their commercials. So Vumatel have a strict 30 day cancellation clause - which means we are billed for the 30 days whether the line is used or not. The first step is to place a cancellation for this line. Openserve installs are generally very quick (<5 days from order) - this means our team would usually co-ordinate the installation date closer to the termination date of the Vuma service - this minimises the overlap. Given that we are unable to control the exact date of Openserve's install, we recommend a 5-10 day window which will include a short overlap of services.
2.1 You don't need to have the line terminated, but we would recommend placing the Vumatel cancellation -this is a date we have control over and we want to minimise your overlapping billing. You can place the Openserve order with us at the same time and ask the team to co-ordinate this switch for you to ensure you have zero downtime
2.2 You're one of the few clients who doesn't have an issue with this - so they've been trained to minimise the overlap - but we always make sure you don't have any downtime. I chatted to the agent you spoke to and explained the situation. If you would like to install the Openserve now, pending the 30 day Vuma cancellation, you can let us know and we'll order the Openserve asap.

Let me know if you need any assistance with this move?
Thanks @websquadza.
Yes. I would like to go ahead with the move.
PM or email me what I need to do and I will action it ASAP.

georgelza

... the Unifi has a great 2.5G range :)

G

Looney

Executive Member
Getting insane buffering tonight. Absolute trash. This is ridiculous. It’s been getting worse and worse and it’s reached a point I can no longer tolerate.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Getting insane buffering tonight. Absolute trash. This is ridiculous. It’s been getting worse and worse and it’s reached a point I can no longer tolerate.
Morning. Sorry for the late follow up here. What service were you struggling with? If RD, did you try different sources? They have a JOH stack. Their RBX stack will also be good off our France bound routes.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Exactly the same here. Back up now. Constant interruptions. Last night's buffering and latency was a nightmare.
Only interruption of the day from our side. Please log a ticket so the team can investigate - let me know and I'll follow up on the ticket.

Last edited: