Web Squad ISP

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Anyone else's international die? I'm having random throughput issues, cannot access origin, all traceroutes and pings resolve locally instead of internationally, twitch is unusable (front page doesn't load).

I'm on Vumatel area in the Roodepoort area.
I've reverted on your ticket. No issues on our side. Local resolution of sites is because they're being fed from CDNs we peer with locally (so they're actually local sites).

Saw a blip on 8.8.8.8 a few mins ago, so might be that. Set your DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 for now.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
I've reverted on your ticket. No issues on our side. Local resolution of sites is because they're being fed from CDNs we peer with locally (so they're actually local sites).

Saw a blip on 8.8.8.8 a few mins ago, so might be that. Set your DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 for now.
Update: Looks like pages mentioned by @Senshi were pages served by Fastly CDN. I don't remember these pages being served by the CDN until today (that being said they may have been).

philitoo

Can anyone explain why it is when I do speed tests on my 1Gbps service with Websquad on Vumatel aerial to any Joburg servers I get over 900 Mbps yet when I do the same test to Durban or Cape Town servers speeds drop right down to around 350Mbps I thought with the 1 Gbps service I should be getting more or less similar speeds locally on the 1 Gbps service, am I missing something?

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Can anyone explain why it is when I do speed tests on my 1Gbps service with Websquad on Vumatel aerial to any Joburg servers I get over 900 Mbps yet when I do the same test to Durban or Cape Town servers speeds drop right down to around 350Mbps I thought with the 1 Gbps service I should be getting more or less similar speeds locally on the 1 Gbps service, am I missing something?
welcome to the 1Gbps club! We've covered this in a previous post, but to recap. You should see a variance in results from the national tests as each provider carries their own traffic nationally and hands over at a local exchange. Speedtest traffic is low priority and most SPs don’t want this affecting user experience. But you will see a gbps from the local exchange without issue (assuming the source isn’t rate limiting).

STORMERSFAN

welcome to the 1Gbps club! We've covered this in a previous post, but to recap. You should see a variance in results from the national tests as each provider carries their own traffic nationally and hands over at a local exchange. Speedtest traffic is low priority and most SPs don’t want this affecting user experience. But you will see a gbps from the local exchange without issue (assuming the source isn’t rate limiting).
HI there websquad, sent u a pm at 13.20 yesterday .. Still waiting for a reply?

Gazed416

I'm pretty sure that vumatel aerial has been given me problems because for some reason I'm not getting Internet access at all. Vumatel gave me a DZS(?) modem, and after I plugged the fibre optics cable into my previous modem it still doesn't give me any Internet access. The ladies at websquad have helped me a lot today but unfortunately I'm still without Internet access. Hopefully a vumatel technician can help me out tomorrow

Zodiak

Hi Websquad, seem to be having a problem tonight, getting 8 meg speedtest results locally and 1.9 megs internationally, upload seems ok. Is there an issue?

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Hi Websquad, seem to be having a problem tonight, getting 8 meg speedtest results locally and 1.9 megs internationally, upload seems ok. Is there an issue?

No known issues. Could be network related. Can you please submit a ticket for tracking?

Zodiak

No known issues. Could be network related. Can you please submit a ticket for tracking?
Will log a ticket now, definitely still a problem, speed has picked up but only half at local, getting like 25 megs to Midrand on my 50 meg line which usually maxes out....