Why DStv should have a Kodi app

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

MultiChoice, through its sister-company Irdeto, recently ordered the takedown of Kodi add-ons for Showmax and DStv Now which were created by New Zealand developer Matt Huisman.

Kodi has an unfortunate reputation of being associated with copyright infringement. Particularly, infringement involving unlawful streaming services.

signeffex

Really then why do they have a Samsung Smart Tv app?
Because technically speaking you cant have access to the APP if you don't actually have a dish and decoder with them. (Dont be a smart alec and say you using your parents account etc.) the only reason you allowed access is because someone with actual required equipment is paying for it.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Multichoice will be very stupid if they do not have a Kodi addon! Their biggest killer/competition, Netflix, amongst others, have a Kodi addon!

Last edited:

signeffex

I actually came here to say Kodi is absolutely amazing and I think every streaming service should have an official add on with them.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Multichoice will never be able to think outside the box cause their heads and asses are stuck on making money on decoders.
And riding the Tencent bubble via their parent Naspers. Now when the bubble has burst they are scrambling to save pennies.

snorbaard

MultiChoice, through its sister-company Irdeto, recently ordered the takedown of Kodi add-ons for Showmax and DStv Now which were created by New Zealand developer Matt Huisman.

Kodi has an unfortunate reputation of being associated with copyright infringement. Particularly, infringement involving unlawful streaming services.
Just a minor correction: Plex isn't open source

netflix have a kodi addon?
No. There are odd unofficial Netflix addons, but they're hellish to get working properly, break often, and not something you want to plan your evening's viewing on.

Tinuva

The Magician
Just a minor correction: Plex isn't open source

No. There are odd unofficial Netflix addons, but they're hellish to get working properly, break often, and not something you want to plan your evening's viewing on.
I think with kodi 18 that is about to change. Why, because kodi 18 support widevine encryption. Kodi 18 is still beta or release candidate status, so give it time for the official version to change official addons support.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Netflix have a unofficial addon with Kodi 18. A few hoops you have to jump through to get it working and often falls over due to Netflix changing some config.

Works but not ideal. I doubt there will ever be a official addon from Netflix.