Votes: 61 18.3%
  • No

Votes: 150 44.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters

Brian_G

Expert Member
Being under 40 is no reason to feel safe....the majority of the patients with Covid during this second wave are in that age group. Due to year end school functions etc. Do not be complacent...this virus does not select on basis of age...
That's the new hype anyway...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
@Geoff.D , where did your course come from. Has that source been confiscated / forced to be locked up?
It came from our house doctor, prescribed for a worm scare we had when we rescued a dog diagnosed with some or other worm infection. The vet recommended we all go our doctor who in turn prescribed a course of tabs that we need to take.
Very old but you know how it is sometimes these things end up not all being taken and just sit there in the cabinet. Just dumped the 3 tabs left.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Yes see the previous posts about a kit approved for use in India.
Link please, I'm searching and can't find anything.

I don't know , but the numbers for a population off over a billion , and not really a first world country don't add up
I understand that, I'm just trying to confirm that it's linked to Ivermectin and that the image is really that of the Indian covid pack .

Last edited:

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Take it. If you want to deworm yourself.
Otherwise there's no use for it.
It's not something that kills viruses.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Take it. If you want to deworm yourself.
Otherwise there's no use for it.
It's not something that kills viruses.
Not saying it does, but are you saying you know more than all of India?? :oops:

(Not to be confused with most of us here knowing more than our grabbamint, that's different.)

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Not saying it does, but are you saying you know more than all of India?? :oops:

(Not to be confused with most of us here knowing more than our grabbamint, that's different.)
Nope. I know people in the agricultural industry. There's nothing more to it. It's a deworming product for livestock.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I know people in the computer industry, and was in it too. Doesn't mean I understand quantum computing much.
Your comparison doesn't make sense.
Either way. Check for yourself.

It's only used for deworming livestock.
The people I know have decades of experience with said products.
So yes, doesn't mean I understand or believe it. It's knowledge that they have shared with me.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Your comparison doesn't make sense.
Either way. Check for yourself.

It's only used for deworming livestock.
The people I know have decades of experience with said products.
So yes, doesn't mean I understand or believe it. It's knowledge that they have shared with me.
No, the point is they can't know beyond its normal use either. Sometimes other uses are found for products that wouldn't appear to relate.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Useful technical paper for those that want to read about Ivermectin. Been around since the late 70's.

Ivermectin, ‘Wonder drug’ from Japan: the human use perspective (nih.gov)

Originally introduced as a veterinary drug, it kills a wide range of internal and external parasites in commercial livestock and companion animals. It was quickly discovered to be ideal in combating two of the world’s most devastating and disfiguring diseases which have plagued the world’s poor throughout the tropics for centuries. It is now being used free-of-charge as the sole tool in campaigns to eliminate both diseases globally. It has also been used to successfully overcome several other human diseases and new uses for it are continually being found.
Ivermectin proved to be even more of a ‘Wonder drug’ in human health, improving the nutrition, general health and wellbeing of billions of people worldwide ever since it was first used to treat Onchocerciasis in humans in 1988.
It proved ideal in many ways, being highly effective and broad-spectrum, safe, well tolerated and could be easily administered (a single, annual oral dose).

In referring to the international efforts to tackle Onchocerciasis in which ivermectin is now the sole control tool, the UNESCO World Science Report concluded, “the progress that has been made in combating the disease represents one of the most triumphant public health campaigns ever waged in the developing world”.16)

The process, from the discovery of ivermectin’s activity against onchocercal microfilariae to the successful distribution programme from 1988 onward, was neither an easy or direct path. Success was achieved through groundbreaking and innovative partnerships. The journey was a complex undertaking, incorporating scientific uncertainty, conflicting views, ambiguity, frustration, individual innovation and unexpected twists and turns.

Ivermectin has continually proved to be astonishingly safe for human use. Indeed, it is such a safe drug, with minimal side effects, that it can be administered by non-medical staff and even illiterate individuals in remote rural communities, provided that they have had some very basic, appropriate training. This fact has helped contribute to the unsurpassed beneficial impact that the drug has had on human health and welfare around the globe, especially with regard to the campaign to fight Onchocerciasis.57)

Ivermectin’s development into a drug for human use also involved a number of organizational, individual and pharmacological variablestogether with a large slice of luck, educated insight and personal commitment.

So, tell us again about how dangerous this thing is?

Last edited:

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Nope. I know people in the agricultural industry. There's nothing more to it. It's a deworming product for livestock.

You're right that it's a deworming product. But it is possible that it could have other uses as well. It's not only used in animals but humans as well.

What’s the treatment for strongyloidiasis?

The goal of treatment is to eliminate the worms. The medicine of choice to treat strongyloidiasis is a single dose of the antiparasitic medication ivermectin (Stromectol). This drug works by killing the worms in your small intestine. link

The recommended dosage of STROMECTOL (ivermectin) for the treatment of strongyloidiasis is a single oral dose designed to provide approximately 200 mcg of ivermectin per kg of body weight.

The recommended dosage of STROMECTOL (ivermectin) for the treatment of onchocerciasis is a single oral dose designed to provide approximately 150 mcg of ivermectin per kg of body weight. link

From reddit.com , click on below article.
I can't find any official communication or newspaper article, saying that this Ziverdo covid kit is being distributed by the Indian government or that the government has anything to do with the Ziverdo kit.
It may just be that there is less restrictions in India regarding what medicines can be sold over the counter and that the company that put the pack together did so of their own volition.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The actual ingredients:

IVOMEC Injection is a clear, ready-to-use, sterile solution containing 1% ivermectin, 40% glycerol formal, and propylene glycol, q.s. ad 100%. IVOMEC Injection is formulated to deliver the recommended dose level of 200 mcg ivermectin/kilogram of body weight in cattle when given subcutaneously at the rate of 1 mL/110 lb (50 kg).
The highlighted components are what is dangerous about using Ivomec in humans. Just look them up.
(Edited to stack up with the reference found by @Pinball)
So, It would appear that this thing is pretty safe anyway. See Pinball's post for confirmation.

I believe the mantra of SAHPRA is:

"Do no harm". Please explain to me how they have satisfied that goal with their ruling?

Post edited to stack up with the info found be @Pinball. Seems that generally speaking Ivomec might not be very dangerous after all provided the dosages are correct for humans.

Last edited: