Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Linux help needed...

Hybrid View

Default Linux help needed...

Ok im about to install linux....
    I DO NOT know a thing about linux only that is free, i once installed it but quickly removed it because
    1)my second HDD was not visible.
    2)I did not have any sound
    3)I didnt have a clue how to install the drivers....
    So can anyone tell me how i do all that..

Is it possible to play games on it,and is the a way i can run it and windows at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Project X View Post
    I DO NOT know a thing about linux only that is free, i once installed it but quickly removed it because

Is it possible to play games on it,and is the a way i can run it and windows at the same time?
    If you're looking for a cheap OS on which to run your windows games - linux isn't it.

If you want to explore a new OS and learn a different way of doing things, then give linux a bash (so to speak).

There're a couple of ways you could run linux and windows at the same time -

Dual booting

Virtual Machine
    Wine
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkomisaloser View Post
    I must get banned
    <!--

Blog Entries

FWIW, I recommend Ubuntu. It's slick, works really well and even allows you to try the OS out without installing a single byte on your HDD. You can't simply play Windows games though. Certain titles may work with a program called Wine, but don't expect miracles.

Instead, either use a second HDD, or create a new partition for Linux. It installs a "boot-loader", which presents you with a menu at bootup, allowing you to choose Windows or Linux (or whatever else you're running).

The newer versions of Linux tend to provide drivers for a huge amount of hardware. I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 on:

Home PC = Asus A8N NF4 motherboard, AMD X2 4400+ (dual core), 2Gb RAM, 160Gb + 250Gb Seagate SATA HDD's (both accessible), XFX 8800GT (with fully working official Nvidia drivers), onboard sound (since Creative still hasn't released Linux drivers for the X-Fi).

Laptop = old Acer with 512Mb RAM, even has the Intel-910 graphics drivers

Booting from the Ubuntu LiveCD, you have a GUI, with sound and networking all working without needing to configure or install anything! If I sound entusiastic, it's because Linux is starting to come closer to a user-friendly OS. That said, it still often requires some fiddling with command-line instructions and doing research on forums. It's not quite as simple to use as Windows (IMO), but it is impressive.

Aside from Ubuntu, there is also great support for PCLinuxOS (based on Mandrake), which attempts to be as easy to use as Windows and also LinuxMint (based on Ubuntu), which does the same. Then there's OpenSuse, which has long been considered to be an easy-to-use OS, although in my experience, Ubuntu is the right balance between ease-of-use and showing new Linux users the differences to Windows.
    "No! You idiot! You on the right track but on the wrong train." - RPhiri

A bit off the topic, but flarkit, is it worth it to install v 7.10 for Ubuntu. I heard there is still a few bugs aound it.
    Golden Lions Rugby Union - 125 years of passion

Quote Originally Posted by DWPTA View Post
    A bit off the topic, but flarkit, is it worth it to install v 7.10 for Ubuntu. I heard there is still a few bugs aound it.
    For sure, unless you want to wait until the end of next month for 8.04.

I've not come up against any bugs using 7.10 in various flavours daily - graphics, sound, wireless, printing all working 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkomisaloser View Post
    I must get banned
    <!--

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DWPTA View Post
    No more so than any other OS. Ubuntu is a great way for someone who's serious about learning to use Linux, but doesn't have a background with *nix.

Having sampled Red Hat, Mandrake, OpenSuse and 3 earlier versions of Ubuntu (5.10, 6.06 and 7.04), I was very impressed with 7.10 because things work well enough to work comfortably in Linux. I actually can't wait for Hardy to be released.
    "No! You idiot! You on the right track but on the wrong train." - RPhiri

Banned

Not much has changed since you tried it. I think the sound has been sorted though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    Not much has changed since you tried it. I think the sound has been sorted though.
    Im looking forward to the day when you actually know what you are talking about I am very hopeful
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Super Grandmaster

You can dual boot, there are lots of guides.

But anyway, format and install Vista? xD

Sound through the optical out seem to not work on my onboard sound, but the normal analog outs works perfect. Networking is not a problem, nor most other hardware.
    The only problem I had on my PC, was the wireless network card based on the TI RT61 chip set. Drivers is available though, but you might need to compile it, as the supplied driver didn't work for me. Everything else is working 100%.

I installed a few things to play around with, such as the openfire jabber server, asterisk server and a drupal website.

Blog Entries

I inserted my Ipod nano the other day, and it worked right out the box without the need to do anything. I am loving it Most hardware now is supported by Ubuntu, and Ubuntu definitely supports more hardware natively (without the need to install or compile drivers) than any of the Windows installations. I have had it installed on two machines (laptop/pc), and my bluetooth dongle, usb skype phone, ipod nano, usb wireless device, huawei modem... all work perfectly without the need to install a single driver. Windows simply can not do that.

Also, my laptop crashed, so I am running Ubuntu on it... on an _external_ usb drive! hehe, you do not need to install it onto your local machine, you can install it onto a decently sized flash disk or external drive.
    Last edited by ghoti; 20-03-2008 at 01:00 PM.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

I want know more about linux because everyone is raving about it and complaining about vista..

I've used Ubuntu 7.10 on pcs with good results but on my laptop there is no sound.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I just installed RedHat 6.0 in VMWare for old times sakes and it took about 5 minutes. AWESOME

So theres noway to install some kind of driver for the sound?

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast