Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my first linux experience...

Thumbs up my first linux experience...

so i installed hardy last night on my laptop expecting that this is going to be a mission, especially to get my wireless to work.

i finish the installation, go to my desktop and connect to my wireless. no fuss, no drivers. nothing. just as simple as entering the WEP password thing.

i go to install more apps (so i can watch movies/listen to music in bed )

search amarok, get a few codecs and thats it! everything is working perfectly.

linux rocks. if my games and recording software would work on linux then i'd run it on every machine i own for the rest of my life.

...i especially like the way you install apps and how the folders are right there for your music and videos etc...

well done, and welcome to the fun side of computing; do not forget ubuntuforums.org is just a click away for any issues you may get along the way.

Blog Entries

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras to make your codec life easier.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by w1z4rd View Post
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras to make your codec life easier.
    thanks! i couldnt get this one damn mp4 video to work until i installed those restricted extras... shot man.

I normally use the Medibuntu repo, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift-wp View Post
    I normally use the Medibuntu repo, but that's just me.
    Medibuntu also has Skype available for Ubuntu-64 users. This is a lot easier than having to hack a hole in Ubuntu just to get it working, since Skype have not made a 64-bit version of their Skype yet (wtf man?).
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

This Froot is no longer available.....

Grandmaster

What happend to the good ol'days when setting up a Linux machine required a respected man :-)
    South Africa needs World Class Broadband at World Competitive Prices.

Quote Originally Posted by kaspaas View Post
    What happend to the good ol'days when setting up a Linux machine required a respected man :-)
    It hasn't changed. To set up a really good copy of Gentoo you still need to be a respected man (feeling out my collar) .
    For the rest of the world, there is always the option of using the more user-friendly distros.
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

This Froot is no longer available.....

Quote Originally Posted by hxc87x View Post
    linux rocks. if my games and recording software would work on linux then i'd run it on every machine i own for the rest of my life.
    For recording software, install Ubuntu Studio or 64 Studio http://www.64studio.com

Recording software itself: ardour http://www.ardour.org

Both Ubuntu Studio and 64 Studio are multimedia distro's designed to be used in a professional multimedia environment. 64 Studio have a live CD demo so you can check the stuff out.

Both these distro's have some really juicy software for the audio guy:

Hydrogen: Software Drum Machine
    Rosegarden: MIDI Sequencing Software + Notation
    Lilypond: Music Typesetting Program (CLI). Lilypond makes the nicest looking music ever.
    QSynth: Software Synthesizer
    QSampler: Software Sampler
    Ardour: Professional Quality Audio Workstation (like ProTools or Cubase)
    Jack: Realtime audio server that connects all these devices together and synchronisss them.

Currently I am on 64Studio, and it rocks!
    Linux Mint 14, Mint 13, Mint 13, DreamStudio 11.04, Mythbuntu 12.04, Ubuntu Server 12.04
    I dont i-Anything, and use Windows to check the weather outside

Welcome!
    Computers are about to become fun again.
    Think twice, speak once.
    ANC - outfailing itself year after year
    ESKOM - Eish, Sorry Krag Opge*** - Maintenance

I hate to admit it, but I've been experimenting with Ubuntu/Kubuntu for the last 3 weeks in a virtual machine. I like Kubuntu more - the KDE interface is very Windows-ish.

For general computing the OS works OK. What I can say is that you are a bit screwed if you don't have a internet connection, especially if you are a n00b with linux. It seems as if the majority of software also install via the internet.

For games, thus far Kubuntu sux. I can get very little to properly run with Wine or any other Windows emulator for that matter. Is there a reason why there is so little linux game support?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lcbxx View Post

For games, thus far Kubuntu sux. I can get very little to properly run with Wine or any other Windows emulator for that matter. Is there a reason why there is so little linux game support?
    Microsoft uses anti-competitive behaviour to lock the game vendors into just writing their games for Windows. Two really really good examples of MS slaves.. Would be EA Games and Blizzard.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Microsoft uses anti-competitive behaviour to lock the game vendors into just writing their games for Windows. Two really really good examples of MS slaves.. Would be EA Games and Blizzard.
    Could be true, however, have you compared the prices of console games & games for Windows?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lcbxx View Post
    Could be true, however, have you compared the prices of console games & games for Windows?
    No.. I have a PC.. I dont buy consol games.. they are sub-par in my books. Though... since MS are Xbox... I imagine theyre involved in the same practices there.

No.. I have a PC.. I dont buy consol games.. they are sub-par in my books. Though... since MS are Xbox... I imagine theyre involved in the same practices there.
    No more so than Sony.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast