Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's better more GPU memory or higher memory clock?

Default What's better more GPU memory or higher memory clock?

Thinking I might be able to wangle one of these HD3650s:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...=8&l3=637&l4=0

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...=8&l3=637&l4=0

The first has 256mb and a 1.6GHz memory clock, the second has 512mb and a 1.4GHz memory clock.

So which should give better overall performance in games?

Most graphics benches I've read show little improvement with extra memory over 256mb, at least with these kind of lower-end cards, so I'm thinking the faster clocked one would be better?

It will probably (hopefully) go into a system something like this:

Biostar TP35D2-A7
    2x1GB DDR2-800
    E2180
    Thermaltake litepower 400w

On another note, does anyone have any ideas about when the lower end HD4000s are coming? I thought I should maybe wait for that.

I'm thinking the 512mb will win in a real-world app.

1.4->1.6 = 14% increase
    256->512 = 100% increase

Obviously that does not correlate 1:1 with performance, but the end result should still pan out in favour of 512.

Would also depend on what resolution you'd be rolling with. i.e. LCD's native res.
    Quote Originally Posted by hereticangel View Post
    Ok i am now the proud owner of 9 telkom shares
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanmuller View Post
    From now on you can't say anything negative about them, else your money might shrink....
    oh snap

ATM I've got a crt 17-inch, so no native res to worry about.

Hopefully a res of 1024x768 at least, I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than 1280x1024 though with this setup.

A low res would favour the high clock one, but I'd still go with the 512 on balance. Are the GFX's identical otherwise? 'cause that can also make a huge difference.
    From now on you can't say anything negative about them, else your money might shrink....
    oh snap

Do you think I could get decent performance much higher than those resolutions I mentioned with that setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Threepwood View Post
    Do you think I could get decent performance much higher than those resolutions I mentioned with that setup?
    Kinda, but on hardcore stuff like Crysis any AA will kill it. Other games like say UT3 and all the other things based on the UT3 engine should be fine at max setting...but not at much higher than 1024x768.

For comparisons sake, I've got a 3850 and start hitting limits in Crysis at 1024x768 2xAA and DX10 highest settings hack applied. And thats not entirely fluid on all levels so I'd either have to loose the AA or drop the detail. I'd guess you'd get something similar with a 3650.
    oh snap

Anyone else have an opinion on my original query?

The first has 256mb and a 1.6GHz memory clock, the second has 512mb and a 1.4GHz memory clock.

So which should give better overall performance in games?
    I'm most worried about the performance I can get in Oblivion, if that makes much difference.

Assuming that the bus width is the same I'd get the lower clock speed and overclock it to the 1.6Ghz

I'm most worried about the performance I can get in Oblivion, if that makes much difference.
    Haven't played Oblivion, but it can't be worse than Crysis on the hardware requirements front. So it should work nicely.
    oh snap

...doesn't know

um, well... you see, if you go for the 512mb, you could overclock the mem just a tiny bit and then enjoy the pleasures of both ....

I guess, I hadn't really thought of that

The higher memory one only has passive cooling though, do you think a small overclcok like that would increase temps much?
    Last edited by Threepwood; 07-07-2008 at 06:38 PM.

...doesn't know

I guess, I hadn't really thought of that

The higher memory one only has passive cooling though, do you think a small overclcok like that would increase temps much?
    well... honestly, I think in the range of say 5degree's MAYBE 10 degree's max. it's not much of an overclock, but it will add a bit more power and make more use of the 512 ...

and remember, you can always add a better cooler, and over clock the mem, but you can't add more mem and overclock

faster car engine or bigger fuel tank ?
    Disclaimer: The use of my free time precludes any reproach.
    Latest: The streams must flow! 24.7! 1080p!

...doesn't know

Quote Originally Posted by Necuno View Post
    faster car engine or bigger fuel tank ?
    and with a lil tweaking and overclocking you can have a fast car with a big fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by scotty777 View Post
    and with a lil tweaking and overclocking you can have a fast car with a big fuel tank
    true, also not forget thee pink fluf on the dashboard
    Disclaimer: The use of my free time precludes any reproach.
    Latest: The streams must flow! 24.7! 1080p!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast