Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Migrating Firefox from XP to Vista or Windows 7

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Migrating Firefox from XP to Vista or Windows 7

When you have your Firefox set up the way you want with all your extensions, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. You might want to migrate that same setup to other computers.

Disclaimer: This isn't what's recommended by Mozilla, it's just what worked for me.

* Install Firefox on Vista or Windows 7, launch it once, then close it. Make sure Firefox on XP is closed also. Important! Make sure they are the same versions! You cannot migrate between different versions!
    * Go to XP: Back up C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. It should contain only one folder, which has a garbage name like "9cofchse.default" or some such nonsense.
    * Hit Ctrl-C to copy that entire folder.
    * On Vista, go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData. Now go in to the "Roaming" folder, then Mozilla, Firefox, Profiles to get to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefo x\Profiles. There will be another folder there with a garbage name.
    * Hit Ctrl-V to paste the folder from the XP Firefox to this folder next to the other folder with the garbage name.
    * Now go to the other folder in this area and select it. Write down that folder name. Then Press F2 as if you are going to change the file name. But when the filename is highlighted, press Ctrl-C again to copy that filename. While it is still selected, rename it to "default.profile" and press enter to change the name.
    * Go back to the folder you just pasted in and change its name to the same as the folder name you wrote down (that you just copied to the clipboard).
    * You have just replaced the default folder in the new Firefox location to the same as your other XP profile.
    * close all the windows and review your steps.

Now all you have to do is start Firefox and pray. If you did it correctly your new Vista or Windows 7 Firefox should have everything that your old XP Firefox had.

Edit: I am aware that the mozbackup extension can do this as well. But I figure why load an extension in memory for a function that you can perform once a year by hand. Whenever you have to back up your profile, just backup that profile folder... it has everything you need!
    Last edited by Garyvdh; 17-01-2009 at 11:31 PM.

It would've helped me if you posted it 5 days ago

This also helps if you want to move your current profile over to a Firefox Portable installation. I'm even using Portable on my desktop now, so I won't have to worry about fiddling with profiles ever again, just copy the entire Firefox folder over and you're done.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the post Gary

Mozbackup isnt an extension its a seperate program

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

works well

Gosh, Maxthon is somewhat easier. Upload settings on PC1, install Maxthon on PC2, log in with email address and password, download settings, and favorites are synced automatically. Easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Gosh, Maxthon is somewhat easier. Upload settings on PC1, install Maxthon on PC2, log in with email address and password, download settings, and favorites are synced automatically. Easy.
    Maxthon does not support Extensions beyond the normal IE plug-ins! Firefox does! I'll bet my kitted out Firefox can do a hundred things more than Maxthon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spike_za View Post
    Mozbackup isnt an extension its a seperate program

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

works well
    Ja, you are right.... I was thinking of this extension....

http://customsoftwareconsult.com/ext...febe/febe.html

But, It is still easier for me to just grab my entire profile folder (15 MB) and copy it somewhere than install software to do it.

Blog Entries

OR

Just download Firefox Portable, set it up and then copy and paste the folder it into your flashdisk then transfer the folder to your new PC

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

I'm using Mozbackup because it works with both my Firefox and Thunderbird. But I haven't gone over to W7 yet, glad to hear it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    Maxthon does not support Extensions beyond the normal IE plug-ins! Firefox does! I'll bet my kitted out Firefox can do a hundred things more than Maxthon!
    Er...Maxthon does support plugins (there's fairly large selection too), as well as IE extensions, as well as filter packs! And a bare-bones Maxthon can handle heaps more than a bare-bones Firefox.

I share the same profile between my Linux OSes and XP or Vista. I just run firefox –profilemanager and create a profile and then point firefox to the directory (works with thunderbird as well).

The great thing being that I can then create a directory like /data/profiles/ff/milomak (or D:\data\profiles\ff\milomak for windows). And I often run differing versions of FF and I have never had any issues.
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

Nice guide, Garyvdh

Been using this method since FF 1.0 or so, had the same profile since then, have moved from XP, Ubuntu, Suse, Vista, XP, 7 etc; with almost no hassles (only some linux-specific plugin config changes, but nothing big)

For those that don't know yet, download the Xmarks addon (formerly Foxmarks) so you can sync your bookmarks across multiple PCs, a lifesaver.
    "In fact, the weirdest thing just happened - I broke wind, and as a result felt so dizzy I nearly fell from my chair. That cannot be normal." -Copacetic

Like nililist said, use Xmarks for syncing bookmarks and passwords and just redownload the *.xpi files for extentions (and I'm not sure if it is the same thing with themes).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJNgoma View Post
    Like nililist said, use Xmarks for syncing bookmarks and passwords and just redownload the *.xpi files for extentions (and I'm not sure if it is the same thing with themes).
    Why waste the bandwidth and the time on searching for and re-downloading all your extensions? Just move your entire profile folder. It may look complicated but it is in fact, very very easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast