Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Telkom dumped on ICT changes

Default Telkom dumped on ICT changes

http://www.finance24.co.za/Finance/M...0.html?kps=193

Telkom dumped on ICT changes
    03/09/2004 09:53 - (SA)

Cape Town - News of changes to telecommunications policy announced by Communications Minister Ivy Matsepe-Casaburri has seen investors dump Telkom shares as the utility faces a real threat to its monopolistic pricing policies.

Telkom took a knock in opening trade on Friday the JSE Securities Exchange South Africa (JSE).

By 9:20 the company's share price, which more than trebled after its listing last year, has fallen R4.50 or 5.8% after it closed at R77.50 on Thursday.

The volume traded so far is 512 822 shares, in 143 deals.

Total value traded was R37.7m.

Telkom said on Thursday in reaction to the liberal changes in the ICT sector, it was not warned or consulted before the announcement.

The changes, which could result in reduced costs for business by mid-2005, pose a threat to Telkom and the second fixed-line network operator's profitability.

At a parlaiment briefing on Thursday Matsepe-Casaburri said the amendments were part of government's aim to "reduce costs, stimulate competition and growth and expand the availability of services".

The amendments make it possible to create a so-called virtual telecommunications network and enables any organisation to offer telephone services such as payphones and laying cables.

Other services, such as voice calls over data networks such as the internet (VoIP), will also be legal now.

The amendments, which come into effect on February 1 next year, include the following:

* Cellphone companies may now use any supplier's fixed lines - thus far, cellphone service providers were dependent on Telkom for the provision of connection lines;

* The provision of payphone facilities and equipment will be expanded to allow any person or organisation to apply for a licence in any area. A licence will soon not be necessary anymore.

* Any value-adding service provider (VANS) will be able to provide voice transmission over any medium, including the internet.

* Any business can offer value-adding services. Consumers will therefore no longer be reliant on Telkom or the promised second fixed-line operator;

* Private telecommunication services and equipment may be traded and companies with private internal network services will be able to sell, rent out or transfer the rights of excess facility and capacity. Matsepe-Casaburri said this would result in better utilisation of equipment and facilities.

Edited by Fadia Salie

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Telkom said on Thursday in reaction to the liberal changes in the ICT sector, it was not warned or consulted before the announcement.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If I can quote Tito Mboweni, "tough Bru".

<b><hr noshade size="1"></b><font size="2"><font color="red"><b>You can take Telkom out of the Post Office but you can't take the Post Office out of Telkom.</b></font id="red"></font id="size2">

Couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

ANI4ANI

ahhhh ag shame ... yeah like im worried ... why must goverment notify you what makes you special ... i have been waiting 10 years for you to see your arse .... its time to change the way you do business and score or loose out

Grandmaster

Must not laugh must not laugh.....!..HA! HA! HA!
    Who`s your Daddy now Telkom.
    This calls for a drink..*opens a can of coke and drinks to Telkom for getting what they deserve*

Google is so smart,I typed in Hellkom and guess what google said

Don`t you mean.....&lt;insert evil laugh&gt;
    TELKOM!

Master
    Ex-Durban, ex-Perth, now Brisbane, Terra Australis

And so Telkom's fall to earth begins...make sure you kiss my ass on the way down Sizwe you bitch...

<font color="blue">Telkom needs a leash, ICASA needs some guts, and the </font id="blue"><font color="red">SA consumer</font id="red"><font color="blue"> needs to make it happen</font id="blue">

Grandmaster

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by billybobwoolmer</i>
    <br />Couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

ANI4ANI
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And could not have put it better myself! [:D]

Super Grandmaster

Shame - poor Teklom. My heart bleeds. MWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhehehehehehh ehahahahahahahhahahahha.

<b><font size="4">Please go to
    http://www.myadsl.co.za/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4735</font id="size4"></b>

Master
    Ex-Durban, ex-Perth, now Brisbane, Terra Australis

Donn, I appreciate ur efforts to get similar postings under one topic, but this topic is directly to do with Telkom's shares dropping as a result of the VOIP etc announcements. Its a topic in its own right.
    btw, most of us can read normal, unbolded text.

<font color="blue">Telkom needs a leash, ICASA needs some guts, and the </font id="blue"><font color="red">SA consumer</font id="red"><font color="blue"> needs to make it happen</font id="blue">

Grandmaster

Yeah I want to see how far their shares will drop and laugh at them.
    asked a mod if you think their is a problem with this topic.

Google is so smart,I typed in Hellkom and guess what google said

Don`t you mean.....&lt;insert evil laugh&gt;
    TELKOM!

Grandmaster

donn, appreciate what your doing but could you please be not so bold... (literally)

keep an eye on the telkom share price

Grandmaster

MTN's share price is falling too.
    http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/financial/2004/0409031149.asp?A=MAW&S=Mobile%20and%20Wireless%20T echnology&O=FPT

<font color="blue">"Telkom said on Thursday in reaction to the liberal changes in the ICT sector, it was not warned or consulted before the announcement."</font id="blue">

Sounds like "Insider Trading" if they wanted to be warned about the announcement. What would the CEO have done, sold off his shares.

I suppose they could end up threatening you, like this:-

<font color="red">"In the last few weeks we have seen an increase of Telkom bashing posts popping up and this will NOT be tolorated. This forum is a games discussion forum and not a Telkom bashing one. If you feel the need to express how you feel about Telkom this is NOT the place to do it. Those who continue to do so will have their posts and accounts removed permenantly"</font id="red">

[8D]

Banned

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Telkom said on Thursday in reaction to the liberal changes in the ICT sector, it was not warned or consulted before the announcement.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And why the **** should they be exactly? They worried about going bankrupt because of competition due to the position they put THEMSELVES in?

- Colin Alston
    colin@slipgate.za.net

"Getting traffic shaping right is easy and can be summed up in one word: Dont." -- George Barnett

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by georgestrydom</i>
    I suppose they could end up threatening you, like this:-

<font color="red">"In the last few weeks we have seen an increase of Telkom bashing posts popping up and this will NOT be tolorated. This forum is a games discussion forum and not a Telkom bashing one. If you feel the need to express how you feel about Telkom this is NOT the place to do it. Those who continue to do so will have their posts and accounts removed permenantly"</font id="red">

[8D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hehe, another games.saix.net forum reader[:D]