Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is my wireless fixed yes or no ??????

Default Is my wireless fixed yes or no ??????

As mere mortals in the quest for a decent internet connection, is my wireless better or worse than before ??????[}:)]

it is better but not acceptable see the wraping over the nukkles they got from ASA

It is certainly not better than it was when I started in February but is better that it was in August

It's improved drastically, but it's not perfect yet. I think it would be wise to hold back for a while before ordering, give it some time to become consistently better. You never know with sentech: you may wake up tomorrow and it's back to 1.26kbps.

Better, yes. Fixed? NO. It's still worse than a dial-up modem. I have graphs to prove it, taken last night at 10.30.

See http://privacy.4mg.com/MyWireless.html#WAITING

The only sane reason it order it is if your dial-up usage costs you more than R700 per month, and you can't get ADSL or ISDN.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Donn Edwards <font size="2"><div align="right">MyWireless: Diva-style reliability, dial-up performance (or worse)</div id="right"></font id="size2">
    <font size="1">“If our government ever goes bad, as sometimes happens in a democracy... As we extrapolate our [surveillance] technologies into the future, if the incumbency has that political advantage over their opposition, then if a bad government ever comes to power, <b>it may be the last government we ever elect</b>.” See http://privacy.4mg.com </font id="size1">

it's K@K

--
    256k ... BAH..more like 25.6k
    FSCK YOU Sentech!! [:(!]

Grandmaster

When you say "fixed" do you mean like when they cut off a dogs b@lls ? [:I]

Pass the pringles please ....

not fixed

stay away from sentech or infosat or anything run by sentech... that means every gawd damn tv signal and radio signal you get

they're ****ed up and need to catch a wake up to the 21st century

Hell, my gran on a scooter with a memory stick is faster than Sentech's MyWireless!

In my opinion, if it worked like it was supposed to, it would be a great product, <b>BUT</b>, on my side I still get connectivity problems with the wind, and sometimes it just wont work. Wind sucks, big time. For me though it is still a better option than 64k ISDN, because of it being "always on". And <b>yes </b>I am contradicting myself, cause it isn't always on.

Quarter Pounder with Cheese Please

the wind has nothing to do with it, does your cellphone cut off when the wind blows? NO, so thats a bull**** reason

Hell, my gran on a scooter with a memory stick is faster than Sentech's MyWireless!

Grandmaster

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zak2</i>
    <br />As mere mortals in the quest for a decent internet connection, is my wireless better or worse than before ??????[}:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    "Before" as in "May through September" or "before" as in "Feb/March"? If the latter, then no, it's much much much worse. If the former, then about the <i>only</i> thing that has improved is local bandwidth. International is rubbish, literally slower than dial-up (average about 4KB/s).

IF you don't care about international speeds, and IF *all* your downloading is local, and IF you don't mind a 10GB cap, and IF you don't play online games, and IF you're rich enough that a R650+/month for 4KB doesn't seem ridiculously high to you, then sure, MW is perfectly fine. But e.g. waiting two hours for a Win2KSP4 'Windows Update' to complete, or taking forever to access US-hosted website control panels or to upload site changes, is not exactly 'accelerating my business', it's just wasting my time now.

R650/month for a 4KB connection is a blatant rip-off (just like ADSL is a blatant rip-off). An appropriate price for 4K would be, I'd say, about R250/month. If it really was "128" as they claim, then perhaps R350/month, no more. Every other country can do it.. we can too.. it's just that SAn companies seem content with miniscule market share and enormous high margins (in the UK 500 DSL connections are rolled out <i>every day</i> - cf. Telkom's pathetic ADSL user base of about 10000, 'cos it's overpriced by a factor of 5). Now Sentech wants to embark on an "education campaign" to further lower the SAn public's expectations to try fool people into believing that the speeds they offer are an acceptable level of service for a "broadband" connection 'here in Africa'. It's time we started asserting to these companies that we're not going to "settle for less" any more. We know the problem isn't lack of bandwidth (SA has the BW it's just mostly lying dark because Telkom charges ISPs too much for it), it isn't lack of infrastructure, it isn't lack of a market (there is a potential market of well over half a million broadband connections in SA in the next five years if a company would offer a reasonably priced package), and it isn't lack of working capital to develop the infrastructure (see Telkom's profits) -- the problem is just greed and in Sentech's case, a lack of vision to take on a broader market (incorrect market focus).

Stay away from MW, that's my advice. It's rubbish.

To answer the question again.... FSCK NO!!!!!!

Turtle, I believe ADSL have 22000 subscribers. ADSL atleast delivers the speed indicated by the package.

Not even local MyWireSuck 256K is fast. To give you an idea...I'm downloading from a local site at 8-10KB/s...and I'm on 256K package....RIP OFF

--
    256k ... BAH..more like 25.6k
    FSCK YOU Sentech!! [:(!]

nonrooker I think you should downgrade to 128 because with multi thread downloading I am getting Average over the last couple of weeks about 10KB and some downloads have been up to 14,4KB.

With a 56K dial up I never got more than 5,5KB.

As for the wind, if you have a bad signal and trees in the way, the leaves do attenuate the signal especially if they are wet, and you signal will go down. Do some research on google, if you don't want to take my word for it.

zak2 - please let us know what you want to do with the connection. There ARE applications where this **** really works. If I had to make the call I made in February to use Sentech again today for my purposes, I would go for Sentech again (In spite of th k@k times we have been through), BUT do youself a favour - Get a PRO to install an external antenna for you. A 30% and less signal could make you a very unhappy user!

Grandmaster

zak2 - from what I can gather the 128k service has improved but whatever you do avoid the 256k or 512k packages as, believe it or not, they are slower for international bandwidth than the 128k package - this is definitely the case with the 256k package - I can attest to this from personal experience.

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of by mere mortal men - Shakespeare

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast