Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: ADSL versus Wi-Fi

Default ADSL versus Wi-Fi

ADSL versus Wi-Fi

We look at a pricing comparison between ADSL and Wi-Fi services

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

adsl is more stable than wireless, going to get WiMax installation done soon....lack of lines in my area.
    Telkom: "Resistance is futile, your money is ours!"

I'm not so sure that you can call 384 kbps broadband...
    https://www.invoicesonline.co.za - Professional invoicing & recurring billing for South African entrepreneurs & professionals.

Very tempting to get 384k wireless unlimited - the question is how stable is the link?

Grandmaster

leaves that empty feeling in my stomach...me thinks we are going backwards quite quickly now. Somewhat like a rollercoaster which has almost reached the top of the next climb, but then gets stuck and starts rolling back down again.

This focus on wireless is just wrong. Here we are in the year 2009, and still we have no competition for fixed line telecoms. Now we are trying to console ourselves by trying to make wireless look like the only way to go.
    >>>>>> <<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by gregmcc View Post
    Very tempting to get 384k wireless unlimited - the question is how stable is the link?
    That would be the Aerosat, all i can say is STAY AWAY....
    I was an Aerosat subscriber till a couple of months ago, there service offering used to be good, but since last year they started shaping everything. Yes everything including skype, p2p and rapidshare, so it is unlimited yes, BUT you can only browse and e-mail, ZERO downloading and voice or video calling.

And to add insult to injury when i cancelled their billing department messed up and charged me for another month and was very rude to me when i took it up with them.

So all i can say is Aerosat are sharks stay as far away from them as you can.
    Last edited by Beetman; 23-03-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Beetman View Post
    That would be the Aerosat, all i can say is STAY AWAY....
    I was an Aerosat subscriber till a couple of months ago, there service offering used to be good, but since last year they started shaping everything.
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess if it looks too good to be true - it probably is

yip it probably is, I learned the hard way and have now gone back to ADSL....

PS. forgot to mention the non-refundable R1500 installation fee and the antenna and equipment remains there property, still waiting for them to come collect it from my roof though....

It would be mor helpful if this kind of article compared actual conditions such as throughput and stability rather than advertised speed.

It's rather futile to have a cheap so-called 384 connection which consistently provides a 10KB/s transmission speed.
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

does any1 know of a wifi ISP that has coverage in Centurion?

Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    It would be mor helpful if this kind of article compared actual conditions such as throughput and stability rather than advertised speed.

It's rather futile to have a cheap so-called 384 connection which consistently provides a 10KB/s transmission speed.
    or on the "uncapped" offerings just mention how badly it gets shaped an what protocols get shaped.

Default wifi cannot deliver

WIFI Cannot delivery the bandwidth required for the end user the actual throughput test done on routerboards on the bench gave only 18mps in one direction multiplex on 2.4 and it drops to arround 10mbps in 2 way traffic if there are 40 customers on the tower the latency goes up aswell ,all the international traffic is on unreliable ADSL / one way fiber mix uncapped actually means no limits or capping users beware you might be on an uncapped account but ask your ISP for the actual usage you have used you might be supprised that you have done less than 1 Gig better to go ADSL ..

most isp are as follows

20 x ADSL @ approx 17Meg through put

450 users with 10% browing

17 meg / 45 users = (.377 meg)/8 = 47.5kb/s with only 10% browsing poor wireless users imagine if 50% fired up a download 9kb/s

Quote Originally Posted by wirelessvsadsl View Post
    WIFI Cannot delivery the bandwidth required for the end user the actual throughput test done on routerboards on the bench gave only 18mps in one direction multiplex on 2.4 and it drops to arround 10mbps in 2 way traffic if there are 40 customers on the tower the latency goes up aswell ,all the international traffic is on unreliable ADSL / one way fiber mix uncapped actually means no limits or capping users beware you might be on an uncapped account but ask your ISP for the actual usage you have used you might be supprised that you have done less than 1 Gig better to go ADSL ..

most isp are as follows

20 x ADSL @ approx 17Meg through put

450 users with 10% browing

17 meg / 45 users = (.377 meg)/8 = 47.5kb/s with only 10% browsing poor wireless users imagine if 50% fired up a download 9kb/s
    nice explanation as a first post
    Last edited by Beetman; 23-03-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tns View Post
    adsl is more stable than wireless, going to get WiMax installation done soon....lack of lines in my area.
    Actually, no. I am on Amobia's 2mbps plan that costs R300 per month and comes with 2GB of traffic, you can topup at R89 per GB. My connection has never been down as apposed to "ADSL outages" I frequently hear about and read about and experience at work where we have 2x 4mbps lines.

On Amobia their is also no signs of contention. When I signed up I asked them what their contention ratios were and all they would say was "better than Telkom ADSL". I thought this cannot be true, but more than a year later I have to say it is.

Their latency is also excellent, I have made Voip calls to Japan from my wifi phone (using a Linksys WRT54gs connected to my Amobia CPE) and it was as instant as making a local call.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmcc View Post
    Depends from one ISP to another. My friend (also in Stellenbosch) was on UniNet for 4 years with no problems, then things started to go bad. Soon after I got Amobia and when he saw how good it was he switched to Amobia.

I have also hear bad things about the local Snow Ball service so I did not even consider them.

Amobia FTW
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Default Just the facts

Just want to show the people the facts arround wireless and how poor they are actually installed and run the technicians have no spectrometers do not know what a fresnal zone ..

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast