Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Thread: ADSL versus Wi-Fi

All wireless ISP knock ADSL as an unreliable service do not turn a blind eye 98% of them use it......... Telkom Fiber international silver class line is arround R 1500 /64k isp can never purchase at that cost you would have to contend it more than 100 and the silver class line is already contended from telkom , until a cheap access solution for the int fiber arround the coast can be achieved SA will be the slow and expensive lane UK 20mbps down 768k up cost R 150.00 uncapped and R 20 for a public ip
    Last edited by wirelessvsadsl; 23-03-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Actually, no. I am on Amobia's 2mbps plan that costs R300 per month and comes with 2GB of traffic, you can topup at R89 per GB. My connection has never been down as apposed to "ADSL outages" I frequently hear about and read about and experience at work where we have 2x 4mbps lines.

Their latency is also excellent, I have made Voip calls to Japan from my wifi phone (using a Linksys WRT54gs connected to my Amobia CPE) and it was as instant as making a local call.

Amobia FTW
    You playing online with this connection? Is the latencies good enough for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Actually, no. I am on Amobia's 2mbps plan that costs R300 per month and comes with 2GB of traffic, you can topup at R89 per GB. My connection has never been down as apposed to "ADSL outages" I frequently hear about and read about and experience at work where we have 2x 4mbps lines.

On Amobia their is also no signs of contention. When I signed up I asked them what their contention ratios were and all they would say was "better than Telkom ADSL". I thought this cannot be true, but more than a year later I have to say it is.

Their latency is also excellent, I have made Voip calls to Japan from my wifi phone (using a Linksys WRT54gs connected to my Amobia CPE) and it was as instant as making a local call.

Depends from one ISP to another. My friend (also in Stellenbosch) was on UniNet for 4 years with no problems, then things started to go bad. Soon after I got Amobia and when he saw how good it was he switched to Amobia.

I have also hear bad things about the local Snow Ball service so I did not even consider them.

Amobia FTW
    Just shows that it usually is you get what you pay for.

R300 for 2GB's is a realistic price in the SA environment, while if an competitor is charging R300 for uncapped then you know there is a catch.....

check with the ISP on the traffic they use if they use fiber out fiber return you can expect arround 320ms + your latency on the wireless connection that can be arround 5-10 ms per hop so you can look arround 340ms if they are on satellite return the latency is arroung 630 ms + the wireless latency so look for an isp on fiber

Hello RPM

How did you come up with this?
    Telkom ADSL 384Kbps 1GB R323.00

If I have a look at Axxess then I get this:
    Axxess 384Kbps ADSL Line rental = R139.00
    Axxess 3GB ADSL Account = R59.00
    Total monthly is = R198.00

and

Telkom ADSL 512Kbps 3GB R660.00

Axxess 512Kbps ADSL Line rental = R289.00
    Axxess 3GB ADSL Account = R179.00
    Total monthly is = R468.00

Am I missing something?
    ISP@home: Axxess ---> 4 Mbps Business Uncapped account (Unshaped)
    ISP@work: Internet Solutions ---> 10Mbps Uncapped Business ADSL with 5 IPs

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    You playing online with this connection? Is the latencies good enough for that?
    Online games? No I play offline cause online means you actually spent money on legal games I have played BZflag over it and the lag was very low (much lower than on 3G).
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetman View Post
    Just shows that it usually is you get what you pay for..
    Thats pretty much how I feel about them. Sure it is expencive to pay R89 for a GB but you don't get it much cheaper elsewhere in SA. Plus their 2mbps is really 2mbps as you can download at speeds of up to 290kb/s
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Quote Originally Posted by m0zy View Post
    Hello RPM

and

Am I missing something?
    Hi Mozy

Think your missing the Telephone line rental portion paybale to Telkom which is not included in the ADSL Line rental. Not sure what the exact cost is but guess it is somewhere between R120 and R150?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by m0zy View Post
    Hello RPM

and

Am I missing something?
    Hmm...i think they were talking only about Telkom as your ISP.

If i look at WebAfrica's prices:

384k Line
    3GB TRaffic

R340 per month

or

512K line
    3GB Traffic

R479 per month

I don' think they did their research on this topic properly...
    Last edited by ben dover; 23-03-2009 at 10:02 AM.
    MOS 6510, 1MHz | 64K RAM | 320 X 200, 16 colors max | ROM BASIC | External 170K floppy drive | SID 6581, 3 channels of sound

Hi Mozy

Think your missing the Telephone line rental portion paybale to Telkom which is not included in the ADSL Line rental. Not sure what the exact cost is but guess it is somewhere between R120 and R150?

Regards
    Nope...he did...you rent the line from Axxess not telkom.
    I think he thinks it's a 1GB cap.
    There's no way Axxess gives you 3GB for R59...
    Last edited by ben dover; 23-03-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    MOS 6510, 1MHz | 64K RAM | 320 X 200, 16 colors max | ROM BASIC | External 170K floppy drive | SID 6581, 3 channels of sound

Quote Originally Posted by ben dover View Post

If i look at WebAfrica's prices:

384k Line
    3GB TRaffic

R340 per month

or

512K line
    3GB Traffic

R479 per month

also exclude the Telkom Telephone line rental portion?

Telkoms prices aint half bad, considering their product quality is over 100% better than all the WIFI products out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tns View Post
    adsl is more stable than wireless, going to get WiMax installation done soon....lack of lines in my area.
    All adsl gamers ive met online had worse ping than I had using wireless..

Adsl is really slow internationally..
    A f r i h o s t - R29/GB ADSL
    \/Happily Banking With Capitec \/

Spot on

+1
    ISP@home: Axxess ---> 4 Mbps Business Uncapped account (Unshaped)
    ISP@work: Internet Solutions ---> 10Mbps Uncapped Business ADSL with 5 IPs

Quote Originally Posted by inferno View Post
    Telkoms prices aint half bad, considering their product quality is over 100% better than all the WIFI products out there.
    Wrong, my wiresless connection has not been out once since I got it more than a year ago. We have two ADSL lines at work and they have been down a few times.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

also exclude the Telkom Telephone line rental portion?
    Nope...the ISP gets the line on your behalf...they get a discount, and they charge you for the line.
    No need to pay telkom for anything, the ISP does it for you...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast