Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Dropped laptop - artifacts on lcd

Default Dropped laptop - artifacts on lcd

My laptop fell of the coffee table and was fine for the remaining hours of the night. The next day i switched it on and the lcd started getting vertical lines across the screen with short horizontal line connecting then. The vertical lines are probably 30mm apart and the horizontal lines probably 10mm apart. Added to this it is almost fuzzy around the lines. Can make out what is happening but not clearly at all. Plugged it into an external monitor and same thing. Also it boots into windows fine and then it starts the artifacts and then on a restart even during the bios post etc it is messed up. If i place pressure above the keyboard it goes away.

I have opened it and made sure everything in plugged in and all the heatsinks have new thermal paste on.

It is a Toshiba M30x, old one but it is only used for internet and the like and very handy i might add.

Anyone know a reliable place in cpt i can take it for a free quote? Or maybe some advice?

Your graphics adapter might have come loose by the sound of it, or may have been damaged by the fall as well.

Sounds like a complete strip-reassemble job awaiting you (not fun)
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

|GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

Quote Originally Posted by teraside View Post
    Your graphics adapter might have come loose by the sound of it, or may have been damaged by the fall as well.

Sounds like a complete strip-reassemble job awaiting you (not fun)
    Or a loose cable in the inards somewhere. Check that all the cables are properly seated to the motherboard.
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

Thanks, but like i said, i checked that, i opened that baby about 6 times to check it. I might add that involves about 30 screws and pulling of 4 ribbon cables.

Anyone know of a place i could take it in cpt?
    Last edited by nephelyn; 14-06-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Give these guys a call, they are in Edgemead.

Complete I.T. - 0215589085
    One cannot cross a chasm in two small leaps.

thanks, will do ...

I assume they are at the tennis courts?

Just some feedback, took it to them, and they looked all professional. Apparently the laptop is screwed, but they stripped screws and left something loose inside. That is not very professional ... So i will have to break it open to salvage some of the parts ....