Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Billion 5100 DHCP issues

Unhappy Billion 5100 DHCP issues

I just got my Billion 5100SM ADSL modem, but I’m having trouble configuring it...

The modem connects me to the Internet correctly, but I cannot get it to serve DHCP addresses, nor can I get it’s configiration webpage to open. I’ve tried to Reset the device at the back by holding it in for > 10 seconds, but this made no difference.

These are the steps I took when I installed it:

1) Plugged in all of the cables as instructed. The lights go on appropriately.
    2) Configure the Windows Server 2003 PC to “Obtain IP address automatically”
    3) I type in “IPCONFIG /Renew” in a CMD prompt. – After 1 min it reports that it cannot find an address.
    4) Finally I provide a static IP address: 192.168.1.200
    5) The connection is successful and I can dial out on the ADSL and connect, browser etc.
    6) Question: Why doesn’t DHCP work?
    7) I try to open its config webpage as told in the manual : http://192.168.1.254, but after 30s I get the message “Page cannot be displayed”. (Although Pinging this IP is successful)
    8) Question: How do I get to the configuration web page?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

try changing your subnet to 255.255.255.0 and if it is, then try 255.0.0.0.

Don't think this is the problem though
    Biggest Permanent LAN - www.ptawug.co.za

I have just received the following email from Billion support. Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I guess for R399 it's still a HUGE bargain.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your enquiry.

Please note that the 5100SM is a pure modem and does not have routing capabilities like the 5100S. This implies that the unit:

1) Can not be accessed and it does not have a configuration web page like the 5100S. You just connect the cables.
    2) It does not have DHCP functionality - it is not a router like the 5100S.

You used the correct method in assigning a fixed IP to the PC’s (or Server’s) network card if there is no other DHCP server on the network.

We apologies for inconvenience caused by the lack of a QSG for the unit – but being a pure modem the original manufacturer did not think it necessary at the time. All our new 5102SMs do have QSGs because of this.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Support

BILLION SA

Hi Jeeves,

Please note that the 5100SM is a pure modem and does not have routing capabilities like the 5100S/5102S. You most likely downloaded the manual for the 5100S - please make sure. Being a pure modem the 5100SM:

6) Question: Why doesn’t DHCP work?
    1) Does not have DHCP functionality - it is not a router like the 5100S/5102S.

7) I try to open its config webpage as told in the manual : http://192.168.1.254, but after 30s I get the message “Page cannot be displayed”. (Although Pinging this IP is successful)
    8) Question: How do I get to the configuration web page?
    2) Can not be accessed and it does not have a configuration web page like the 5100S/5102S. You just connect the cables.

You used the correct method in assigning a fixed IP to the PC’s (or Server’s) network card if there is no other DHCP server on the network.

We apologies for inconvenience caused by the lack of a QSG for the unit – but being a pure modem the original manufacturer did not think it necessary at the time. All our new 5102SMs and all other models do have QSGs because of this.

I hope this helps.

Tell me, will the Billion 5100SM ADSL modem be suitable for use with the linksys54g?

At the moment I am using my usb modem and the pc as the DHCP and the 54G as an access point only.

Is the modem really only R399

Robone: I bought the modem from www.jump.co.za for R399. I think they've got the latest model for R419.

Robone,

Yes it will definitely. Just confirm whether your 54g access point has a WAN port to connect the 5102SM too. If not, the 5102S might be a better option with its routing capabilities. The 5102S can also be used on your 54g access point by connecting it to one of the LAN ports then.

The 5100SM has been replaced with the ADSL2+ compliant 5102SM. It is on special at jump.co.za for R413.

Thanks. The linksys54g does have a WAN port.

Should never have got the usb modem, but it suited my needs at that time.