Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Would an antennae help?

Default Would an antennae help?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could get some advice? My Neotel service is, to put it in safe-for-family speak, not so good, in fact its downright terrible. Now I am interested to see if an external antennae like the one the guys at Poynting sell would help but I am not about to fork over R640 just to try it out and it ends up being a hog of cupboard space (got enough hogs already thanks).

Is there anyway I can determine if my service would really benefit from the purchase of an external antennae? I currently do have an old IBurst antennae sitting around which I don't use, but I doubt it would be any help to my Neotel device.

Just telling me it helped you lots isn't really going to help me much because every area is different.

Looking forward to hearing what you folks can recommend.

It may help yes , and no the Iburst one wont work for you
    So Iburst has gone the same way as Neotel and Sentech... Iburst=Neotel=Sentech(R.I.P)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Waterworth View Post
    It may help yes , and no the Iburst one wont work for you
    lol .. well yes ... I know it may help, but thats exactly it, I don't want to spend R640 on a maybe. Hell, if theres anyone in the Fourways area willing to let me borrow theirs for a day or two to test it that would be great, but I doubt anyone here wants to disassemble their carefully calibrated antennae just so I can give it a spin.

Is there any data about my connection I can get to see if an antennae would really benefit? Anything I can do with just my device to test if an antennae would help etc, thats kind of what I'm asking I guess.

garethmcc

Yes it will help, for a short while, and then they will throttle you down again. Typical Africa style. You are not allowed to have more than your next door neighbour. If your brothers suffaa then ya will saffaa as well.

Well, you need to check your signal strength. If you have a phone then you must type in (I have a Lite) ##412365 and <OK>. Debug must be on. Back twice. The debug info you need is on the 2nd line. This will show you the tower you are connected to and your RSSI or signal streng. Smaller is better. My antenna gives me -72dBm (will only show 72 on the phone).

To test the flex device you will need to do the USB modem thing. Install as modem and press Menu on the Axess.tel software. On the status tab you will see your EvDO signal strengths. -120dBm is the cut-off. Even at -75dBm my router shows full signal. 1xRTT sucks. It is damn slow and basically what you will find on the Lite device. Check the "Current System" item and if it shows RTT then you have very weak EvDO signal.

My understanding is that below -80dBm one should have fairly good speeds. I have reached close to 100kbytes/s, with just the router's own antennas, at a good spot.

Now, if you have a flex router, keep the following in mind. You have 2 antennas(not the little WiFi ones in the middle). If you want to boost something then boost the one on the right. On this antenna the router receives AND transmits. The one on the left is for receive only. On my status page my righthand signal (Tx and Rx) shows -72dBm (with the yagi antenna) and -87dBm (with the normal whip antenna). Remember smaller is better. My RTT sits at -102dBm (not really usable). If I replace the antenna, from yagi to whip, the EvDo signal also goes to -87dBm, which causes Axess.tel to report weaker signal (Full at -72dBm though) and then the connectivity really drops.

What I found, since Friday, is that what ever I do to improve on my side is taken up as slack on Neotel's side. If I boost my dBs by 1 or 2 then my speed temporarily increases but as I stay connected it drops to dialup speeds. I am now currently at the same speed as last Thursday( only whip antennas, middle of my lab at -87dBm) than with my super yagi at -72dBm. So maybe it is a way how Neotel has organised a cash boost to Poynting. Create a need, fill the need, take up the slack.

Maybe Neotel is trying to save ESKOM power. For every milliwatt I spend extra on my side their software drops the equivalent on their side.

So all the great things you can do to your modem/router will probably increase your speeds but it will, just as probably, not last.

Grandmaster

excellent sum up

MDE

Thanks for the compliment, but if I only get these theories to work then it would actually be something. Maybe I should hire myself out to Neotel sufferers (like sinus, just worse) once I sort out the kinks?
    Last edited by VMS; 28-10-2009 at 06:06 PM.

BTW, does anybody have a spec on the bandwidth of these signals?

Grandmaster

pleasure...umm i'm sure i've seen the specs somewhere in the forum will have a look for them.

Grandmaster
    Last edited by MDE; 28-10-2009 at 08:17 PM.