Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Unisa Courses

Default Unisa Courses

Hi,
    I'm looking to get an IT degree by part time through Unisa.

I'm just struggling to figure out which degree would be better for me. I was hoping someone could help with suggestions:

1) I really enjoy problem solving - ie: I've troubleshooted many computers in the past few years, and most of the time, I troubleshoot common windows problems through trial and error. I also recently found an open source shopping cart system based on PHP, and although I know nothing about programming, I'm really enjoying playing with the code to try customize the shop. I think I might enjoy studying PHP programming

2) I also really enjoy business. I've started my own small import business. I love buying and selling and I'm good at working out how to calculate income/profit etc. So management/business skills is quite important too.

So I basically think it comes down to 2 options - BSC or B Com infomatics. The question is - is there 1 of them better suited to my requirements? Alternatively, is there some kind of course that combines the Bsc and Bcom together?

Thanks so much in advance for the help!

If you do the general BSC without specializing in a specific field then you should get a pretty good overview on everything, however, you already have the makings of a great programmer with your interest in problem solving.

Your real question should be. Do you want to go into IT?

My answer would be simple. Whatever you can learn on a course (for IT) you can learn doing what you're currently doing, playing around and problem solving. Many people would disagree with me (and I'm sure some would in this thread), but experience counts a lot more for you than book knowledge. You can know a book cover to cover, word for word, but if you can't put it into practice you don't know much at all and probably wasted your time learning it.

THUS. Based off of your description of your likes/dislikes, I'm pretty confident to recommend BCom Informatics to you. You're inquisitive enough to switch to programming or any other IT field whenever it suits you without having to actually listen/read/learn from a teacher (some people HAVE to have schooling for some reason). So my advice would be the BCom, it'll help you more than the BSC IMO unless you're just after the degrees, if so, start wherever because you'll be doing the other soon after that

Good luck

Default NDINL

Hi alkit,

I'm currently studying the National diploma in IT (NDINL) through UNISA - it's a general course and I have done programming courses as well as accounting/business courses (eg. I did an accounting module this year as well as 3 programming languages in java, python, vb along with a Linux module). I really recommend it and I think you would enjoy it as I currently am

You can always do your BTECH after if you want a degree.

Regards,
    ultimate_ra

I'm going to knock Acids Streetssmart is better than Booksmart.

At University you learn both !!!!! With UNISA you also learn how to manage your time and that is important in the real world.

Do not be fooled by people telling you experience is all that counts.

With a UNISA BSc you cover you the foundations that all IT guys need. The theory you learn you carry with you in your entire career.

But on UNISA from next year they offer 2 BScs so rather register as a student to get your number and then register on the OSPREY forum. You will get the advice your are looking their and not on MyBB.

There are not enought guys on this forum who see the value in education !!!!!

BTW: I'm 34 and if I do not get a BSc I will never futher my career. Also people don't care what you studied but more the fact that you did study. Your on the right track and please do not allow others to distract you.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunsdonza View Post
    But on UNISA from next year they offer 2 BScs so rather register as a student to get your number and then register on the OSPREY forum. You will get the advice your are looking their and not on MyBB.

There are not enought guys on this forum who see the value in education !!!!!
    Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the OSPREY forum?

Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the OSPREY forum?
    Ek neem aan dit is http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/