Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a 3g usb modem and data bundle - advice?

Grandmaster

Default Need a 3g usb modem and data bundle - advice?

Hi guys.

I need a data card and bundle.
    I'm only going to use it when I'm at the office during the day, as I need to access some sites that is blocked by our company's proxy, and they won't let me access it.

I've tried searching the forums for this, but it seems like most people advise expensive R2400-ish modems and big bundles

I basically need a USB dongle-thingy, and about 350-500MB of data per month.

Any advice on what would be the cheapest option for me?
    Regards
    === MSi P68-GD80 == i7 2600k == 8GB == 5870 == P2770H == G5 SE == G15 == Lian-Li V1010 == HX650w == 2.5TB===
    === HP Microserver N36L == 4GB == 8TB == 5450 ===

View V9102239 ZTE K3565 USB MODEM + FREE SIM & CONNECTION @ R149-00 SUBSCRIPTION ON STD MY MEG 250 FOR 24 MTHS 2009-10-07 2010-03-06

Rather buy the modem cash and go pre-paid. Poynting have a good deal on the E161 http://www.poyntingdirect.co.za/Prod...productid=E161
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

For ad-hoc 3G use, I would suggest not signing a 24-month contract. There are more flexible pre-paid options available. Check here to look for 3G modems they start at around R900.

You can then simply buy a pre-paid SIM and get data bundles loaded automatically. See www.flickswitch.co.za for the 3Gmanager service. It basically loads 3G data bundles onto your pre-paid sim automatically, without having to commit for a 24-month contract. Hope that helps.

If you're happy to load bundles yourself as and when required, you could do so on Vodacom4Me, or convert airtime to bundles by dialing *111#.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by morkhans View Post
    Rather buy the modem cash and go pre-paid. Poynting have a good deal on the E161 http://www.poyntingdirect.co.za/Prod...productid=E161
    *pop goes ocleroux's bubble* lol

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    *pop goes ocleroux's bubble* lol
    You are like a big ogre lurking under the communications bridge waiting to clamp unsuspecting victims in your 24 month sentences
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

Quote Originally Posted by morkhans View Post
    You are like a big ogre lurking under the communications bridge waiting to clamp unsuspecting victims in your 24 month sentences
    YES!!! And every night I dream of all the little inocent ones that I managed to lure into my nest of 24 month commitment. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    YES!!! And every night I dream of all the little inocent ones that I managed to lure into my nest of 24 month commitment. hehe.
    Besides, rather jump into my lap than MTN's. As they say, I do believe I am the lesser of two evils. Me treat you REAL nice!

Since PPDB's became available there's been NO reason whatsoever to get trapped in a one-sided contract...
    I WHOOOSH!

Blog Entries

Whatever you do, don't sign a contract, you'll regret it. Buy the modem up front, cash. I'm sure you can pick up a 2nd hand modem for cheap. Ask around on these forums, you are very likely to find one, or check the Junkmail, classifieds, etc... Alternatively buy a new one if you can afford it. You can get the USB ones for R500-R600 brand new if I'm not mistaken.

Then go with GConnect for data - you top-up with data as you need, and it NEVER expires. Check here for more - https://gconnect.wirelessg.co.za/. Data bundles from Vodacom/MTN will expire, and as you only need a bit of data occasionally, GConnect works out the cheapest - the data price is flat rated per MB (62c per MB). But with Vodacom/MTN the data prices become ridiculously expensive the smaller the bundle.

Just be warned about GConnect's connection manager though... See if you can live with it, many people do, but not me...

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicWazte View Post
    Whatever you do, don't sign a contract, you'll regret it.
    Listen to this man - he is wise...
    I WHOOOSH!

Have you considered just using your phone instead of buying a dedicated modem? In the same situation as you, I just buy databundles and load them onto my phone, then tether it to get online. No contracts, no extra hardware and if your computer is admin-locked you can bull**** the IT department into installing the software to tether your phone because you want to sync your contacts and other business sounding things.

Grandmaster

And if you cant afford to buy it cash, and you must go for a contract, take the Top-up 3G Contracts. It works out the same as Prepaid.
    Has joined the Cell C Revolution... Whoosh!!

Grandmaster

I can afford it.
    Just wanted to find out what's best.

Think I'm going to try and get my hands on a second hand modem, and then I'll just get some sort of data bundle.
    Thanks guys.
    === MSi P68-GD80 == i7 2600k == 8GB == 5870 == P2770H == G5 SE == G15 == Lian-Li V1010 == HX650w == 2.5TB===
    === HP Microserver N36L == 4GB == 8TB == 5450 ===

I have been there several times, several modems purchased. If I had to do it all again, I would do what I am currently doing - using my Apple iPhone 3Gs as the modem, and remote connecting using bluetooth. So simple to setup, and the advantages - you already walk around with your phone, so just leave your iPhone in your pocket and wirelessly tether through the phone on 3G....but you MUST NOT have a contract, use prepaid bundles, cheaper and more versatile.

Apple MacBook Pro laptop, bluetooth connection to Apple iPhone 3Gs using 2GB prepaid bundle and I am surfing.....now if only VC can make the bundles cheaper, then I will stop my ADSL at home and buy 5GB bundles and use this system at home and on the road.
    Last edited by surfs-up; 25-02-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast