Before I can answer your questions, you need to be aware of the following.
No ISP is getting any free bandwidth, so no ISP can supply unlimited
traffic. We just managed to get better tariffs on volumes, but still
need to manage & count it.
Now quick answers to your questions:
1) Malicious – Users will not realise any virus/worm infections, for
they will not care about their usage. Spammers will also use this
opportunity to make a career out of spamming. We do not like any of the
above & steps will be taken.
2) Excessive – We do not want our clients to flat line their 3Mbs
connection with permanent downloading, queued one after the other. At
that speed it will end up with mad numbers per month. Once again, steps
will be taken.
Now what are these steps that will be taken.
- We will monitor the usage over multiple months
- We will warn the user & attempt to educate them regarding solutions to
their usage problem
- We will throttle their speed to limit their traffic usage within reason.
Please note that the above rules are not unique to us.