So, 22:00 on 18 July and my connection to a particular server just dies. Its past midnight now and I cannot reach any international sites.
I tracert'ed some popular international sites with the same result for each:
Tracing route to www.l.google.com [18.104.22.168]
1 * * * Request timed out.
2 947 ms 996 ms 1001 ms 196-11-245-214.mtn.co.za [22.214.171.124]
3 1001 ms 788 ms 1014 ms 196-11-245-1.mtn.co.za [126.96.36.199]
4 771 ms 1013 ms 1019 ms 196-11-241-2.mtn.co.za [188.8.131.52]
5 641 ms 838 ms 1001 ms 196-11-241-6.mtn.co.za [184.108.40.206]
6 1001 ms 996 ms 1000 ms rb-ad-1--mtn-rb-1-a.mtnns.net [220.127.116.11]
7 761 ms 548 ms 1008 ms rb-ad-1--rb-ha-1-a.mtnns.net [18.104.22.168]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 rb-ad-1--rb-ha-1-a.mtnns.net [22.214.171.124] reports: Destination net unreachable.
Local sites are fine.
My problems are:
- Was this some kind of maintenance issue that MTN could have warned us about?
- If this is a network (internet) problem then how can they inform us, their data customers, of problems and tentative solution times.
I would greatly appreciate a MTN support website that would:
- List cell towers that are going to be have maintenance (cell id and general location)
- List possible service disruptions
- Mention service delivery failures with times and dates, location, and resolution
- Allow customers to log internet problems
I can imagine that most customer issues would be PEBCAK, however, there are times that the user is right and there are legitimate problems.
P.S. I had no network problems when I tried the other 3G network and I also tried different cellphones on 3G and GSM. So it isn't my hardware or settings.