Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oracle is anti-OSS

Default Oracle is anti-OSS

Oracle is anti-OSS

Is Oracle starting to show its true feelings for open source software?

Blog Entries

hehe... I drove past their offices near Woodmead earlier this morning. They have a massive sign up there that says "Number One Middleware Provider".

Nothing like admitting that you make all your money leeching off other people's creations.

TBH... I have never had a need for Oracle products.

I can see The Register headline now...... "Proprietary enterprise software provider in Open Source hate shock"

I have a lot of respect for Oracle & their products, but they've never claimed to be shining paragons of OSS, I don't know why anyone ever thought they would be.

What is the def of OSS really? Richard Stallman (RMS) has an extremist view of what it is, and he is one of the founding fathers of OSS or more accurately FOSS. My guess is you can twist what OSS means as much you like as long as you comply to the word of the law, and not necessarily the spirit of the law, in this case the license agreement.
    2011 Apple MacBook Air 13" | i5 | 4GB | 256GB SSD
    Sony Vaio 16.4" | i7 | 8MB | 500GB
    MWEB Uncapped 4Mbps
    Vodacom 3GB

oracle is playing with fire. if they do this to mysql, a call to arms from the underground will pretty much wipe them off the face of the planet.

Grandmaster

well at least google is still championing OSS....

The beauty of OSS is that if Oracle kill OpenOffice (which they inherited when they bought SUN) and MYSQL is that it can be forked and people can carry on developing the open source versions.

Quote Originally Posted by bleh69 View Post
    oracle is playing with fire. if they do this to mysql, a call to arms from the underground will pretty much wipe them off the face of the planet.
    They won't do it overtly, they'll just quietly decrease funding and stop hiring new devs. Eventually the MySQL devs will tell Oracle to get its act together and Oracle will tell them that if they don't like it, they can go off on their own.

Honestly, did anyone really expect Oracle to continue funding a free open-source RDBMS when they're a company that made their money selling a proprietary RDBMS?

Quote Originally Posted by hawker View Post
    The beauty of OSS is that if Oracle kill OpenOffice (which they inherited when they bought SUN) and MYSQL is that it can be forked and people can carry on developing the open source versions.
    Except that OOO and MySQL agreed to be bought by Sun because they needed funding to continue development. If Oracle chucks those projects out, they don't have funding again and development will suffer (assuming Google or another company doesn't pick them up).
    Last edited by The_Assimilator; 19-08-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    No gods nor kings. Only Man.

The next to fall victim was the PostgreSQL database
    Just to clarify, PostgreSQL is and never has been part of Sun or Oracle. Sun provided build servers vir PostgreSQL, but these were very quickly replaced with alternatives.

PostgreSQL is as strong as ever and business as usual. It's MySQL that you should be worried about, as that's now owned by Oracle.

Sources: http://planet.postgresql.org

--deckert

Upper Bucklebury, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Deckert;4540463]PostgreSQL is as strong as ever and business as usual. It's MySQL that you should be worried about, as that's now owned by Oracle.

Sources: http://planet.postgresql.org

And PostgreSQL is a REAL database!

/Ducks
    United Kingdom
    16Mbps

Although Oracle are being real dicks on this whole Android issue, they kind of do have a point:

Java was developed with a "write once run anywhere" policy. Google's VM breaks this policy.

But, on the other hand, if Sun didn't let Java ME stagnate so much, there wouldn't have been a need for the Google JVM...

I'm in two minds here... :/
    My Personal Website << Work in progress!!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by bleh69 View Post
    Extremely unlikely to happen. Corporates will continue to purchase Oracle products no matter what they do to MySQL. Also, as far as I'm aware the 'underground' prefers PostgreSQL anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    TBH... I have never had a need for Oracle products.
    What about Java ?

Oracle has been pushing their Enterprise Linux - Redhat clone like Centos (which you can download here) as
    opposed to buying certified Redhat 4/5 versions.

Oracle will only support your installation if its installed on certified version
    of Linux (ie Oracle Enterprise Linux, Redhat, SuSE SLES, AsianUX)

Oracle Open Source Contributions

They also bought the berkeley database which has not been binned yet.

For more info on Oracle & Linux : http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/linux/index.html
    Cheers
    Justin
    South Africa webcams - Owlcam,Cape Town, Vicbay
    http://www.midafricam.co.za

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast