Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: MTN 3g modem software for vodafone USB modem

Default MTN 3g modem software for vodafone USB modem

I'm using a Vodafone K3760 USB stick. I've been using a pre-paid Vodacom SIM for my data bundle previously, but I've gotten frustrated with a poor signal in our residential area. My HTC Desire picks up 3G and HSDPA perfectly fine when I use it, but it's on an MTN simcard.

I have another MTN simcard that I've put into the Vodafone USB modem, but obviously the Vodafone Broadband software that comes with the modem does not allow you to use the MTN SIM. Is there a way that I can insert an MTN sim into the USB modem and use that to connect to the web?
    I'm also using a mac, so it needs to be software for OS X. I've tried looking for Fastlink software, but I'm not sure that that would help, or am I mistaken there?

Thanks!

Grandmaster

I have exactly the same problem, wanting to use A vodafone K3565Z modem with an MTN SIM. I had hoped that using gingg's excellent MDMA to connect would work (on Win7) but no luck, just an error message. I also tried replacing the VMC software on the stick with the generic Huawei software (assuming it's a Huawei modem?), but it seems you can't take the VMC software off. So what now -- any bright ideas please?

Quote Originally Posted by Terencek View Post
    I have exactly the same problem, wanting to use A vodafone K3565Z modem with an MTN SIM.
    The '-Z' after the model name means it is made by ZTE, not Huawei.
    I had hoped that using gingg's excellent MDMA to connect would work (on Win7) but no luck, just an error message.
    I have tested it on a couple of ZTE modems, please email me the details maybe I can fix it for you.

Grandmaster

Thanks ginggs -- I will give a couple of things a try later (e.g. running a VMC 9 on the laptop rather than the stick's own Lite -- think this would accept an MTN SIM?) and if I don't come right, will take up your offer.

U should try creating a normal dial up connection from scratch using the modem and phone number *99# this has worked everytime for me.

Grandmaster

In the end I found the absolutely best solution was to download the generic software from the manufacturer's site (Huawei or ZTE) and run that. Worked an absolute treat for me, and now means I can use my modem not just with any SA provider, but abroad as well with no restrictions. You can still choose to keep the original Voda software on the stick itself, thus no invalidating your warranty. Instructions and links are available from earlier threads on this topic.

In the end I found the absolutely best solution was to download the generic software from the manufacturer's site (Huawei or ZTE) and run that. Worked an absolute treat for me, and now means I can use my modem not just with any SA provider, but abroad as well with no restrictions. You can still choose to keep the original Voda software on the stick itself, thus no invalidating your warranty. Instructions and links are available from earlier threads on this topic.
    Any leads on where I can find ZTE generic software that works for a K4505-Z modem? Im not getting any luck searching.
    Piracy is eco-friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Moshidi View Post
    Any leads on where I can find ZTE generic software that works for a K4505-Z modem? Im not getting any luck searching.
    ZTE's dashboard is called 'Join Air'.

You can also try MDMA.

Default VBODAFONE K3565-Z MODEM DOES NOT ACCEPT MTN SIMCARD

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    The '-Z' after the model name means it is made by ZTE, not Huawei.

I have tested it on a couple of ZTE modems, please email me the details maybe I can fix it for you.
    install JointAir connection manager