Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Standard Banks Student Account Below Par?

Default Standard Banks Student Account Below Par?

I'm currently on a Standard Banks Student Achiever account, and have recently seen how **** it is compared to ABSA and FNB. I get a TOTAL of 5 electronic transactions (ATM, Point of sales and EFT) per month. Both ABSA and FNB get unlimited for a very small fee per month.

What's worse, if I go over that 5, I get charged a hefty R20! Really don't see the point of staying with them.

Anyone else see this or have a comment on it?

Blog Entries

FNB is the best.....I've been them for almost 5yrs now n i've recruited my whole family to bank with'em

Seriously thinking of changing.

I'm on ABSA atm but from speaking with friends from FNB it seems their student account is the best.
    Have no issues with my current account though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sysem View Post
    Seriously thinking of changing.
    Seriously still thinking about it..?? Get out of there soon.
    Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence.

Standard Bank as a whole is below par.

As others say, FNB is the best IMO

On orientation day at UKZN a lady from Standard Bank told us we can get free banking from them... Is this what she was referring to?

Blog Entries

Standard bank works with with 5 trans free than pay a small fee than for another 5 or 10 (Works best if you dnt use much of your money)

Nedbank has designsave - more like a pay as you use, the free stuff is gone

FNB - I had an account since a child with them when I turned 18 they froze my account without a letter or a hello : Cause I had to switch to the student this put me off and I switched over to ABSA (FNB the internet banking is great basically they market their product well)

ABSA - Fixed rate and everything is free!! (upto a R5000 limit) - R13. something a month

-----Savings account-----

Standard bank - has a great saving account where you have access to your money anytime (R50 to open)
    ABSA - 6 months story
    FNB - need a grand to open (32 day)

I say open 3 as a student

Well since the accounts are free (or were when i was a student) you cant really say they are below par. if you aren't happy with the transaction rate after your free transactions are over, pay for an account that has cheaper transaction.

Default Standard Banks Student Account Below Par?

I am also with standard bank student achiever and i was very disappointed when i realised the that my friends with student accounts in FNB and Other banks have unlimited electronic transactions and we student achievers only get only 5 free, my friends encouraged me to change to Fnb which apparently has one of the best student accounts, i hope standard bank will change this for their Student achievers
    I'm currently on a Standard Banks Student Achiever account, and have recently seen how **** it is compared to ABSA and FNB. I get a TOTAL of 5 electronic transactions (ATM, Point of sales and EFT) per month. Both ABSA and FNB get unlimited for a very small fee per month.

What's worse, if I go over that 5, I get charged a hefty R20! Really don't see the point of staying with them.

As Superman89 said, Standard bank student achiever is good when you dont really use it that much... i have that account and dont use it much, like maybe 4 times a month, for me which is great because then i dont pay anything per month and when i get my cash i just put the amount i wanna save in the pure save account (great account) and keep cash so i dont have to pay R20 a month from FNB/ABSA etc i know its just R20 saving, but in time, especially as a student, it grows and one day you see you can buy a case!

I have an FNB student account and it is the best product on the market in my mind.

Friends of mine are with ABSA and that is also a decent product which is in fact slightly cheaper, and although its a good product, my personal preference is FNB.
    Nedbank I dont know much about, and the standard bank student account is just rubbish if you ask me. I saw their "free student account" advert the other day. its a joke. I think I probably swipe my card on average about 2 or 3 times a day, so you can only imagine how bad "5 free transactions" sounds to me...

5 was always good enough for me at campus, go to the ATM once a week, thats all i would need. Plus you don't pay a cent on those accounts.

Not sure why FNB is the best student account.

Comparing Nedbank and FNB, Nedbank was cheaper than FNB in about every aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by phiber View Post
    5 was always good enough for me at campus, go to the ATM once a week, thats all i would need. Plus you don't pay a cent on those accounts.
    How much cash do u walk around with? I never have more than about R140 on me because I know I can swipe my card free of charge when ever I have to pay for something whether it costs R9.95 or R5000. I just prefer not keeping a lot of cash on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by KalMaverick View Post
    Not sure why FNB is the best student account.

Comparing Nedbank and FNB, Nedbank was cheaper than FNB in about every aspect.
    Thats the one student account I know nothing about, but this far I am happy with FNB. I do know that the monthly fee at Absa is slightly lower than at FNB by about R8 per month or so if I remember correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast