Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 113 of 403 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113 114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 6040

Thread: HP ProLiant MicroServer

Grandmaster

My NIC died Does anyone know if I can take it to HP directly and if I need to present POP?

right guys, who is running a separate sound card in their MS?

I want to see if I can completely eliminate the use of a WDTV but for that I would require optical

if any1 is, pls link me to what you got and how it performs.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

You can just plug in like an Asus Xonar U3 (USB 2.0) sound card, which includes optical out if you don't want to buy an expensive sound card.

I finally had the chance to setup my HP Microserver:
    4x 2TB drives in software RAID 5 - luckily I got these drives before the prices went up
    2x 4GB RAM
    Ubuntu 11.10 server with ubuntu desktop packages + SickBeard + SABnzbd+, and MikroTik RouterOS running in a VM

So far I'm very impressed, seeing that I actually max out 1Gbps (100MB/s + it spikes above that every now and then) when I'm transferring large files from the server to my desktop. The other bonus is that the server is nearly dead-silent, compared to my noisy 40mm fans that I had for my Intel Atom microserver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D4N View Post
    My NIC died Does anyone know if I can take it to HP directly and if I need to present POP?
    Died or popped?

Did you register your MS when you got it?
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Madman88 View Post
    Died or popped?

Did you register your MS when you got it?
    Link light stays on even with no network cable attached. No I didn't register it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D4N View Post
    Link light stays on even with no network cable attached. No I didn't register it
    sounds like it was surged.

They might fix it under warranty, but you're probably going to have to find your POP.

If you bought it online you should be able to download a copy.
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    You can just plug in like an Asus Xonar U3 (USB 2.0) sound card, which includes optical out if you don't want to buy an expensive sound card.
    Have you tried this, and does it work.

From what I have seen USB sound cards are not supported in Openelec, and the Asus is not supported in Linux.

I would also like to hear of anyone using a separate sound card.

I tried Openelec on my system last night. It worked with my USB sound card... It wasn't the Asus, though.

One would assume Openelec uses the underlying linux sound sytems for sound support.
    http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...ix:Vendor-Asus

How well it works though is a different story, http://ubuntuforums.org/tags.php?tag=xonar

There must be something out there that works https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...entsSoundCards
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Grandmaster

I am using this mini keyboard as a remote on my MS. Worked out of the box on both Windows XP and Openelec.

Bought on Bid or Buy.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/56305...r_Pointer.html

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by P924 View Post
    I tried Openelec on my system last night. It worked with my USB sound card... It wasn't the Asus, though.

What make was the USB sound card?

I can also confirm that this air keyboard works out of the box on openelec.

http://www.takealot.com/electronics/...FSgntAoda2dE5Q

How is the whole motion sensing air mouse thing going? I checked out one of those keyboards and it seems like it has a really nice feel (compared to the esquire one, similar to the BoB one above) but I never actually tried it out plugged in.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I used that Asus Xonar U3 (USB) sound card on Ubuntu with the ALSA drivers. I haven't tried Optical out using ALSA though, because I don't have any optical receivers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post

I finally had the chance to setup my HP Microserver:
    4x 2TB drives in software RAID 5 - luckily I got these drives before the prices went up
    2x 4GB RAM
    Ubuntu 11.10 server with ubuntu desktop packages + SickBeard + SABnzbd+, and MikroTik RouterOS running in a VM

So far I'm very impressed, seeing that I actually max out 1Gbps (100MB/s + it spikes above that every now and then) when I'm transferring large files from the server to my desktop. The other bonus is that the server is nearly dead-silent, compared to my noisy 40mm fans that I had for my Intel Atom microserver.
    This sounds like a great setup

I have a few q's if you don't mind:

- Any reason for going Ubuntu vs Windows Home Server for example? Was it the price? Or just personal preference. Do you think I could also max out the Gbps with Windows Home server?
    - Any reason for the extra 4GB of RAM? Would that help when transferring large files perhaps?
    - Would I be able to run RAID5 in Windows too? What did you use to run it?
    - Is there any disadvantage to software RAID vs Hardware? I know hardware raid (the mobo) supports 0 and 1 only?

Mind you I would be keen to dabble in Ubuntu too, and i'm sure it starts up quicker?

Thanks!
    Last edited by fxit_man; 06-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    For more iAdvice head over to:
    http://iPhoneZA.co.za

iPhoneographers - Check out http://appleofmyi.co.za

Page 113 of 403 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113 114115116117123163213 ... LastLast