Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Ni Hao

Default Ni Hao

Hi everyone

I'm finally online again, and thought I'd just let you all know what broadband is like in China. I'm down in Shenzhen, in the south, near Hong Kong. Currently the fastest connection they have down here is 3MB, with options for 2MB and 1MB as well. I had my reservations about what their connectivity would be like, but those disappeared as soon as they installed the line.

We applied for our lines last Friday. The very next morning the guy called us wanting to install. Because we didn't have PC's yet, we had to delay. The installation was done on Sunday, Christmas day, and took about 10 mins. Our lines were initially set to 2MB, and I was able to pull a full 220k a second from EasyNews. The line has now been upgraded to 3MB, and I'm now able to pull around 310k a sec from EasyNews. There's no cap, I've downloaded in excess of 50 gigs in the last few days, and the price: R165 a month. They informed us that 5MB will be available shortly as well.

I'm now able to download with NewsLeecher @300k a sec and stream from my favourite trance radio station while downloading.

And before the posts about "The Great Firewall of China" start, it's a non-issue. I was past it within an hour of being connected

Edit: I forgot to mention that the modem and installation are free, and there's no contract.
    Last edited by munwaal; 28-12-2005 at 12:12 PM.

So they let you in ... now let's check if you get a visit from the Public Security Bureau in the middle of the night by viewing this page .

Democracy
    Falun Gong
    Free Tibet
    Hú Jǐntāo sucks
    Hu Jintao sucks

Quote Originally Posted by tibby.dude
    So they let you in ... now let's check if you get a visit from the Public Security Bureau in the middle of the night by viewing this page .
    *sigh*

Ni Hao, munwaal.

Thanks for sharing the info. What are you doing in Shenzhen?
    Getting Married in Cape Town? Do you need a Marriage Officer? Contact me at www.wedlock.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by TheREV
    Ni Hao, munwaal.

Thanks for sharing the info. What are you doing in Shenzhen?
    I moved here to be with my girlfriend. I did a TEFL course before heading out here and am gonna do the teaching English thing for a while and see how it goes Have 2 interviews lined up for tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get one of them!

Munwaal, ignore any negative posts - some people have a hard time finding anything positive in any given situation.

Uncapped 3MB for R165 - nice, very nice

I'll be sending you a list of my download needs

Have fun and make the best of this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by VQuest
    Munwaal, ignore any negative posts - some people have a hard time finding anything positive in any given situation.

Uncapped 3MB for R165 - nice, very nice

I'll be sending you a list of my download needs

Have fun and make the best of this opportunity.
    I'm taking fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull advantage of this connection, believe me! My girlfriend mentioned that the company that does our cable tv also offer internet connections. She's going to give them a shout in the morning to find out what they offer. I'll let you all know what they offer.