Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Static routing on ClearOS

Question Static routing on ClearOS

Hi all,

I have a ClearOS server set up as a gateway and would like to know the following. When using a computer behind the gateway I cannot access the adsl router "in front of" the gateway. So I was wondering if I could use static routing for this purpose, and if so how would I set it up?

The network setup is as follows:

Code:
    ADSL Router (10.0.0.2 / 255.255.255.0)
           |
           |
    ClearOS Gateway (192.168.0.254 / 255.255.255.0)
           |
           |
       Switch
           |
           |
    Computers (192.168.0.100-103 / 255.255.255.0)

Just set your ADSL modem IP to be 192.168.0.x?

Blog Entries

Put the router into bridge mode and make a pppoe connection?

Port forwarding might also work.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Or just add a static route for 192.168.0.0/24 on the DSL modem to point back to the clearos public interface ip. ClearOS will already route 10.0.0.0/24 out to the DSL modem based on the default route so no need to add anything on the clearos box.
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies

It depends, there are a couple of ways to do it.

For example, with pfsense (which is what I use now):
    http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/How...E_Modem_on_WAN

But with my old ipcop, I did this: http://midnightreign.org/technical-a...outerfirewall/

Thanks for the replies.

I think I was unclear to what the problem is. The problem is that I cannot access the adsl router when working on a pc behind the clearos server, but as Tinuva said I will try to add a static route like that and see if it works. Just one question though how would I tell the static route to point back to the clearos server public interface? Would I set it on ppp0?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it

Look at the article at the second link I posted. It should give you an idea of what you need to do.

Most of the time, the ETH1 (assuming this is your WAN nic) is not assigned an IP address when it is being used for pppoe.
    So the basic step is to assign it an IP address in the same range that is used by your modem's admin page. Then using the SSH server on the firewall itself, you create a tunnel using putty on your desktop. Then you use the browser on your desktop to access the tunneled port, and voila you have admin page.

While I wrote that document specifically for ipcop, it should apply in most cases to just about any linux based firewall in your particular situation.

On the ADSL modem it would be your internal network, or the DSL modem will see it as internal. As I mentioned, no changes needed on the ClearOS box, so your setup doesn't change at all, you just give it the added functionality of reaching the ADSL modem's web interface.
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies

Using Smoothwall (which is pretty similar to IPcop), I did pretty much what thisgeek described - set an IP address on the internet-facing interface on the firewall. I'm sure this is the way to go with ClearOS, rather than changing anything on the DSL modem.

Ok so I checked out that article thisgeek posted (the 2nd one) and followed the instructions and set up the tunnel etc. But when I enter localhost:6550 (just the random port I chose) it keeps on loading. So I guess I must have configured something incorrectly.

Also it says in the article that you have to configure the Red interface and give it an ip, in clearos would this be ppp0 or would it be eth0 (the lan interface into which the cable that goes to the ADSL modem is plugged in) that I would have to give and ip address in the range of the ADSL modem?

PS: Thanks for the help