Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IBURST PROBLEM: please help!

Default IBURST PROBLEM: please help!

So they gave me more data this month! YIPPEEEeee!!
    but what am i supposed to do with the data?

I live douglasdale and work in sunninghill... at work it says 100%, at home it says 60%-80%.. even though according to iburst I am in the "coverage" area and should be getting 100% coverage!

so during the day at work i try to put my torrents on, doesn't get more than 10Kbps..sigh..
    at home its even worse!!!! like in the deep dark hours of the night it goes up to 20Kbps LOL!
    are you kidding me iburst??

for the last few months i've been forfeiting data as there is no way possible that I am aware of for me to use up my cap!

Unless someone can help me, or atleast tell me the truth that iburst is for browsing only and not downloads etc...
    I am cancelling...

!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pboy View Post
    even though according to iburst I am in the "coverage" area and should be getting 100% coverage
    Check the positioning of your areal, you might find the tower is on the other side of your house and walls are blocking signal [or something similar]

so during the day at work i try to put my torrents on, doesn't get more than 10Kbps..sigh..
    Torrents are heavily throttled between 08:00->23:59

at home its even worse!!!! like in the deep dark hours of the night it goes up to 20Kbps LOL!
    are you kidding me iburst??
    Try after midnight, you might get better results - no throttling at all from 00:00 to 08:00

atleast tell me the truth that iburst is for browsing only and not downloads etc
    By "downloading" you mean torrents? Steam/http downloads/ftp downloads/VPN/streaming all work fine during normal hours. See above for limitations on torrents.

no way possible that I am aware of for me to use up my cap
    Try youtube, or contribute to the humble indie bundle if you want some games to download. TF2 is free on steam, that'll munch a good 12GB as well
    Last edited by eltherza; 06-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.

thank you for the reply.

so do i have to move my laptop around the house to get signal??
    what about my desktop?
    thats mad inconvenience right there! and its supposed to be "mobile internet"

torrents trottled... sigh... another restriction on an alredy restricted service Iburst!
    and i'm telling you, i try overnight, and i do not get more than 20Kbps..

steam is just for gaming right?GAMING?? so i'm yet again pushed into another restricted path in an already restricted service!!

I want to use the service the way i use my 8ta 3G, my Telkom ADSL and the Vodacom 3G.
    why is this such a hard thing to give us iburst?

its a honest waste!!!

Torrents can screw the service up for everybody else if they are not throttled during the day, so NO THANKS.

Have you opened all your needed ports and what not too? because I can get decent speeds on torrents when I *do* need to use them ....

thank you for the reply.

so do i have to move my laptop around the house to get signal??
    what about my desktop?
    thats mad inconvenience right there! and its supposed to be "mobile internet"
    I have the very same problem with my vodacom signal, I have to go to the one side [usually outside] or I get low/no signal bars.

torrents trottled... sigh... another restriction on an alredy restricted service Iburst!
    Another? So far it's the only restriction I've come across on the service. Good restriction too, p2p tend to lag me out

and i'm telling you, i try overnight, and i do not get more than 20Kbps..
    Torrents are driven by sharing, you can't comment on network performance because:
    1. There might be no seeds
    2. Seeders might be limiting their upload speed
    3. You're on a site that checks your share ratio and limits you accordingly [been leeching too much?]

steam is just for gaming right?GAMING?? so i'm yet again pushed into another restricted path in an already restricted service!!
    Youtube, streaming radio, VPN, ftp... I listed other uses in my previous post, you seemed to have missed them.

I want to use the service the way i use my 8ta 3G, my Telkom ADSL and the Vodacom 3G.
    why is this such a hard thing to give us iburst?
    Sounds like to me, all you want iBurst for is to use torrents? How else do you use your 3G service differently to iBurst?

i hear you guys.
    it seems like i'm just complaining about downloads and torrents-- -but whats the point of having access when you dont have freedom?
    i download movies, tv series, prawn etc.. yes i admitted it before and will say it again!
    i want to do whatever i want to do with a service that I am paying for! whats wrong with that?

so how do you open them ports that you are talking about voodoomon?

First I need to know if you are you using a router or if you have the modem connected directly to your pc using a usb cable or ethernet cable?

Torrents are shaped during the day to save the network, but between 00:00 and 08:00 they should go as fast as they can go, no limitations are imposted between those times on iBursts side.

Just shooting in the dark, but the attempting to download during thottled times might be increasing your timeout reconnects to high times, so that you don't connect to the seeds are quickly anymore [thus limited to few peoples 2KB/s upload limit = 20KB/s download for you]

Try not attempting to download during the day, and only startup your torrent software after 00:00 (or if it has a built in scheduler, use that)

-----

Another issue might be that the torrents you are connecting to are managed to enforce a fair upload/download ratio - and seeing as iBurst is behind what I think is a single ip proxy, you get limited by the torrent host because of other peoples downloads as well. Try other torrent sites (after midnight)?

Those are the only 2 things I can think of, dunno what these "ports" things are about but Voodoomon looks like he can help there.

I have the modem connected directly into my laptop,

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

i hear you guys.
    it seems like i'm just complaining about downloads and torrents-- -but whats the point of having access when you dont have freedom?
    i download movies, tv series, prawn etc.. yes i admitted it before and will say it again!
    i want to do whatever i want to do with a service that I am paying for! whats wrong with that?

so how do you open them ports that you are talking about voodoomon?
    No one has a problem with you downloading torents we all do it trust me i probaly put you to shame on what i downlaod
    I burst throtles torents during normal hours so that the rest of the users have a better daily web browsing service but opens torents up to full speed between midnight and 8 AM.
    If not facebook would take ages to open up and my wife would complain, now do you want my wife to complain?

Best to Schedule your torents to run at full speed during midnight to 8 am and rune them but at limited speed (like 25 Kbps) during the rest of the day
    Also your speeds are proably afected by the seeds you have and by also are you allowing the torents you download to be shared? that does make a difference being a leec as aposed to being a seed
    Last edited by isie; 06-10-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: seeding leeching
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/ports.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_number

Im just suggeting it since I have had issues hosting game servers from home for friends when the ports have not been opened and it apparently affects torrents too.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/...Forwarding.htm
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/b...rrentports.htm

I have the modem connected directly into my laptop,
    I dont know then.
    I was thinking you were behind a router with a firewall, when I tried that without opening certain ports I used to get very bad torrent speeds.
    Last edited by Voodoomon; 06-10-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Grandmaster

I wonder if seedbox works with iBurst?

Quote Originally Posted by isie View Post
    my wife would complain
    Hell hath no fury like a woman throttled to facebook.

Had a good look around, and I cant seem to find much info about how ports are affected when a modem is connected directly to a pc.

I have always had my iburst hooked up to a router so I have no experience there sorry.

I use utorrent, i gotta go read up on how to do scheduling.
    but i'm serious guys, I used to live 200m away from a tower, and overnight it ran nicely, and quite fast too!
    its just that now that I am sitting with 60-80% average, its seems to effect the speed very badly!

i am really begiining to hate iburst uh..
    the other isp's are rocking compared to them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast