Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: IP addresses

Default IP addresses

I see that sometimes my IP address comes up as 41.213.96.xxx and other times as 196.2.126.xxx
    This I find weird because I would have thought that "41" was somewhere in Europe not "good old SA".
    This is an ongoing thing - I first noticed it about 3 months ago (that's when I became aware of it anyway).
    Can someone please explain this [in relatively small words please ;-) ]
    Thanks

Super Grandmaster

Well I have the Cell C speed stick and it depends on the network. From what I know Vodacom uses the 41. and Cell C uses the 196.

Also I have seen that Telkom uses the 41. range

Quote Originally Posted by divv View Post
    This I find weird because I would have thought that "41" was somewhere in Europe not "good old SA".
    I'm interested why you thought that.

196.0.0.0/8 was the first block that was mainly assigned to African Internet organisations. When AfriNIC was formed they took over the administration of that block. 41.0.0.0/8 has been the primary block for IP address allocations to organisations in Africa for about the last 4 or 5 years. There are only small chunks left in the 41 block so most ISPs that need big allocations will receive blocks out of 197.0.0.0/8.

102.0.0.0/8 and 105.0.0.0/8 have also been allocated to AfriNIC but are not yet being issued. You can see all the details on the IANA IPv4 Address Allocations page
    local IPv6 hosting | ping6 blog | jawug hugh.diener@apolix.co.za

Thanks guys for using small words and making it so clear! :-)
    I don't know where I got my wrong impression from - probably mis-read something in the past!
    All cool then - thanks again!