Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell C Connector Software

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Yip, just to clarify modem drivers are installed by autorun from the CD-ROM device only once. Dashboard application is also installed. User receive dialog box to confirm installation. Next time you plug-in modem, autorun is checking whether drivers are installed and don't attempt to install drivers, but (depends on the application record in the registry) dashboard is launched.
    HI

That is correct installs the driver once. I know that there some time is a problem on Vista downwards,
    That if don't disconnect correctly, also causes the driver to get corrupt, if don't do the removal of USB correctly.
    How long have you had the stick for ?
    The older ones had issues with Vista drivers so we updated website.

If don't come right please let us know.

Regards
    ~AM~

I am using latest Connector software which is automatically downloaded.
    The weird thing is that (on Vista at least) the modem drivers (under COM ports in Device Manager) are removed even if you remove the stick IN THE PROPER MANNER (with "Safely Remove Hardware").
    The next time you plug in the stick, they don't install again (because Autorun is blocked) and the dashboard can't find the device.

Quote Originally Posted by neillr View Post
    I am using latest Connector software which is automatically downloaded.
    The weird thing is that (on Vista at least) the modem drivers (under COM ports in Device Manager) are removed even if you remove the stick IN THE PROPER MANNER (with "Safely Remove Hardware").
    The next time you plug in the stick, they don't install again (because Autorun is blocked) and the dashboard can't find the device.
    HI neillr

What Speed stick are you using ?
    MF 688 / MF190 or E1820 / E1752

what area are you in ?

Regards
    ~AM~

Modem drivers (under COM ports) are removed, it is normal, also in XP.
    You want to see, many associated drivers are removed too. Go to Device Manager, select "View by connection", you will see all drivers below "Root Hub -> <Your name> Composite Device" are removed. These are P&P drivers, but thery are registered in the system, they don't need to be installed again.

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Modem drivers (under COM ports) are removed, it is normal, also in XP.
    You want to see, many associated drivers are removed too. Go to Device Manager, select "View by connection", you will see all drivers below "Root Hub -> <Your name> Composite Device" are removed. These are P&P drivers, but thery are registered in the system, they don't need to be installed again.
    HI

True but if you go to My computer hardware etc.....
    Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you should still see (eg... for Huawei),
    Huawei Mobile Connect Serial Bus controller.
    Even if removed will stay there.
    Some time when not there i have issue and have to uninstall , reboot then re install.
    Then works.

Regards
    ~AM~
    Last edited by Cell_C; 16-02-2012 at 02:00 PM.

I am using MF190. I am in Northwold, Randburg.
    As I said before I have fixed the problem by enabling Autorun.
    If sajunky is correct in saying that it is normal for modem drivers to be removed (when the device is removed) then my solution is correct. If however it is possible to leave the drivers in place, it will prevent other users from having this problem. I don't know enough about plug-and-play / USB / ??? to say how the un-install is actually done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cell_C View Post
    Huawei Mobile Connect Serial Bus controller.
    Even if removed will stay there.
    Some time when not there i have issue and have to uninstall , reboot then re install.
    Then works.
    That is not expected. It looks like new drivers (coming with Connector) install permanent driver. Is that a case? Does it stay under "USB 2.0 root hub" when device is unplugged (when all working fine)?

Also - on my system there are no ZTE / MF190 devices left behind under COM or USB when the stick is removed.

This thread is already old but maybe it can help someone.

I noticed from about middle Jan 2012 that Cell C started sending my modem (Cell C 5Gig and their latest connection program) a note to update to new software. The modem still worked perfectly (I have only changed the DNS settings for my modem). I think Cell C wants to "correct" the setup by re-installing the same software, reboot my PC and revert the settings to original.

I think this causes most of the problems experienced by other users. If I connect with my new 8ta modem (cell C SIM) all sorts of crazy things happen:

- Cell C program does not see my 8ta modem so that is out I think

- Mobile partner connects to cell C but after a minute they trow me off, or it stays connected but no data transfer. (I think this is what The Voice and many others also see.) This is probably due to this notification that Cell C sends to "upgrade the software and the other programs do not understand it.

- The 8ta program does not seem to connects to cell c or no data transfer.

Additionally I noticed many users complain that cell c suddenly become edge only or no signal. I think it is all related especially for the older 7MB or 3.2MB modems.

The only solution I could get to work reliably fast for cell c is a cell c modem. I would love to hear what other modem and program setups can work well on cell c after January

Quote Originally Posted by okennejc View Post
    Additionally I noticed many users complain that cell c suddenly become edge only or no signal. I think it is all related especially for the older 7MB or 3.2MB modems.
    It applies to all modems.

Re: Multiple dashboards. One soultion is to use dashboard bundled with the modem and uninstall all others. The other working solution is to go to all dashboards installed in the system and find the following options:
    - Do not load on the startup
    - Unload from System Tray on exit
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by sajunky; 18-02-2012 at 09:45 AM.

I hope this helps: After trawling the web on a related issue (wanted to un-lock my Vodafone Hauwei router) I got in contact with a chap in Ireland who had plenty knowledge about mobile data and modems.

He told me that having more than one "vendor connection software" on a system is asking for trouble. Reason is that they are all in essence the same code, the software is re-branded but not re coded. So the same registry values are overwritten (not added), likewise drivers, auto-runs etc. So be it 8ta Connect, MTNFastlink, Cell C Connector, VMB, Mobile Partner : or any other derivative.

Taking his advise, I uninstalled all and now (like koeksGHT above) find the Win 7 method the fastest and the least hassle. It works with my E1820 from Cell C, an E373 from 3 (UK), my old E220 from MTN, MF190 and E173 from 8ta

Hi all

I (foolishly) followed the Cell C advice to upgrade the firmware on my Nokia CS-19 speedstick. The firmware update failed after getting about 80% of the way through. Then my current Cell C Connector software refused to work. As per the upgrade instructions I uninstalled the connector software and rebooted. The speed stick did not re-detect and allow me to install the Nokia Internet Modem software - I had to go to a Cell C shop for them to download it onto the speed stick. To cut a long story I finally managed to install the software. It is pathetic to say the least, and runs extremely slowly. It also prevent Internet Explorer from loading while the connection software is running, does not allow me to disconnect without rebooting the pc or logging off, and does not give the functionality that I previously had (such as checking how much data I still have, how much I have already used, etc.). Cell C technical helpdesk was not helpful at all. They do not have an answer for the IE problem, the fact that the software connection is extremely slow, or whether or not the firmware partial upgrade is problematic or not.

Is there any way of getting the previous software version to work with the CS-19, and, if so, does anyone know where I can get it? Any help would be appreciated. I am almost at the end of my 2 GB prepaid data and am seriously considering alternatives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12