Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: How does Vodacom determine data usage?

Super Grandmaster

Default How does Vodacom determine data usage?

Not only have I used up Telkom's slice of the internet, I have now used up Vodacom's too. According to Data Usage Pro I have used 284MB of the internet using cellular data on both my iPad and my iPhone out of a total of 500MB.

According to the sms I got this morning from Vodacom I have reached the limit.

Oh well, tomorrow is a new month and the internet will grow back overnight. Looks like an interesting test coming up. And an argument for sure. either with Vodacom or the app product rating box on iTunes.
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Quote Originally Posted by Albereth View Post
    Not only have I used up Telkom's slice of the internet, I have now used up Vodacom's too. According to Data Usage Pro I have used 284MB of the internet using cellular data on both my iPad and my iPhone out of a total of 500MB.

According to the sms I got this morning from Vodacom I have reached the limit.

Oh well, tomorrow is a new month and the internet will grow back overnight. Looks like an interesting test coming up. And an argument for sure. either with Vodacom or the app product rating box on iTunes.
    Data usage cannot be manipulated from our side , we merely bill for the amount of data being accessed across the SIM and IMEI.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by VodacomData View Post
    Data usage cannot be manipulated from our side , we merely bill for the amount of data being accessed across the SIM and IMEI.
    It's odd that there is such a huge disparity in the numbers. You say 500 and my idevices say less than 300. One of you is wrong.

I'd tend to trust the towers more than an app attempting to hook into a network interface
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

Have you checked on the portal what your balance is of the bundle?
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

AFAIK theres a 3 hour delay, its not live billing like with making calls or SMSs

Quote Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
    AFAIK theres a 3 hour delay, its not live billing like with making calls or SMSs
    It's actually closer to 6 hours , however i do know that we are working on getting the time it takes for the billing tickets to update shorter.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    Have you checked on the portal what your balance is of the bundle?
    Yeah - it said I had used 500MB.

It is just odd that I was getting messages about how much data was going to expire by month end - the roll over from the prior months I guess. Then yesterday it told me that it was all used up - there was no more internet - blah, blah, blah.

I added up what Data Usage Pro told I had used on cellular data on both iPad and iPhone. I could understand a small difference but the disparity here was rather large.

New day, new month - so I'll look at usage by day end and compare with usage on Vodacom.

With the cost of data (or value of data) the tools not working can cost or lose a fair bit.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by VodacomData View Post
    It's actually closer to 6 hours , however i do know that we are working on getting the time it takes for the billing tickets to update shorter.
    That makes it worse - I thought there was plenty left. You can use quite a lot in 6 hours and it can get bloody expensive.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    I'd tend to trust the towers more than an app attempting to hook into a network interface
    Maybe - but an app is always with me and I don't have to 'pay' to use it to check my balance.

By 'pay' I mean use some of my data allowance to access a web portal.

those apps are generally horribly inaccurate

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    those apps are generally horribly inaccurate
    Could well be the case - and that will lead to a very explicit review on the app store.

Could well be the case - and that will lead to a very explicit review on the app store.
    loooooooool

Yeah - it said I had used 500MB.

It is just odd that I was getting messages about how much data was going to expire by month end - the roll over from the prior months I guess. Then yesterday it told me that it was all used up - there was no more internet - blah, blah, blah.

I added up what Data Usage Pro told I had used on cellular data on both iPad and iPhone. I could understand a small difference but the disparity here was rather large.

New day, new month - so I'll look at usage by day end and compare with usage on Vodacom.

With the cost of data (or value of data) the tools not working can cost or lose a fair bit.
    I check my APN usage, iphone apn for iphone and internet apn for ipad.

Super Grandmaster

Me. Again.

Okay - according to Vodacom I have used 8.15MB of the internet. According to Data Usage Pro and some simple maths I have used 8.63MB of the internet. Taking into account the slight delay (up to 6 hours I think someone wrote) I'd say these are tracking pretty much on par.

I'll look a little later too.