Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Help With Music Production

Default Help With Music Production

So I've been playing with various production programs for quite a while now. I know the basics eg. how to use the instruments to make a sort of tune.

What I don't know is all the various effects; sidechaining, compression, busing, filters, attack, decay, sends, returns, automation and how to apply this to my music in order for it to sound good and not just like some person fiddling around in fruity loops.

Does anyone know of a simple to understand resource/s where I can gain this info?
    enoki.co.za
    In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Grandmaster

Playing around with the DAW & youtube

Fruity loops usually comes with a bunch of demos. Open those up and loop the song while you note the changes. Play around with settings, you might want to solo out the instrument while doing adjustment.

I never had youtube when I started so those where my options...hell I haven't even read the pdf manual as of yet.

I can't really explain those said terms in English. Like if I was going to talk about compression, I would state I usually most on drums. As my drum samples are usually "cold" or "distant" and I use a compressor to liven them up.

Quote Originally Posted by tsume View Post
    Fruity loops usually comes with a bunch of demos. Open those up and loop the song while you note the changes. Play around with settings, you might want to solo out the instrument while doing adjustment.

I never had youtube when I started so those where my options...hell I haven't even read the pdf manual as of yet.

I can't really explain those said terms in English. Like if I was going to talk about compression, I would state I usually most on drums. As my drum samples are usually "cold" or "distant" and I use a compressor to liven them up.
    I'm using Ableton, and recently been playing around with Logic.
    enoki.co.za
    In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    I'm using Ableton, and recently been playing around with Logic.
    Ah, Ableton is much better in my opinion. Unfortunately I dont have Ableton installed anymore on machine so I can't give you specific tips on it.

There are lots of tutorials available on the intertubes. I learned to use Cubase with video tutorials which helped a LOT!

You can also pick up a lot of tips from forums like KVR

It will take quite a lot of time and practice to master your DAW and learn all the tricks you need to put a professional sounding track together

I've been using Cubase for about 5 years now and I still haven't managed to get that full, polished trance sound that I'm looking for!

This is one of my older tracks that I'm busy reworking to try and get it sounding decent

http://soundcloud.com/syrrano/syrran...eans-2012-test

Quote Originally Posted by syrrano View Post
    There are lots of tutorials available on the intertubes. I learned to use Cubase with video tutorials which helped a LOT!

You can also pick up a lot of tips from forums like KVR

It will take quite a lot of time and practice to master your DAW and learn all the tricks you need to put a professional sounding track together

I've been using Cubase for about 5 years now and I still haven't managed to get that full, polished trance sound that I'm looking for!

This is one of my older tracks that I'm busy reworking to try and get it sounding decent

http://soundcloud.com/syrrano/syrran...eans-2012-test
    But that's so good!
    enoki.co.za

Blog Entries

Pooky, don't try learn it all in one go, that will just do your head in.

For electronic production, I can't recommend this enough:

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Ma.../dp/0240521072

Also, a bit hard to understand, but absolutely filled with gems of info:

ANDI VAX "MIXING SECRETS"

Don't get sucked into plugin madness either, pick the basic tools you need, and concentrate on learning those. It's easy to get overwhelmed, so just choose a handful to master first.

Pick a DAW and stick to it.

Off the top of my head...

Good luck buddy.
    Telkom Internet, what in the hell is wrong with you? Your product is utterly broken.

Praise Jesus (and don't be a douche-canoe).

Blog Entries

Pooky, if you use a compressor on drums, would you use a fast attack or a slower attack?

Why?
    Telkom Internet, what in the hell is wrong with you? Your product is utterly broken.

Thanks! But listen to a track from Above and Beyond for example and hear just how full and huge it sounds. There some serious production voodoo going on there that I wish I knew how to do

It may be worth investing in a proper study course if you're serious about it.
    I do this as a hobby but I'm also considering going on a course to learn more about mixing and sound processing

So I've been playing with various production programs for quite a while now. I know the basics eg. how to use the instruments to make a sort of tune.

What I don't know is all the various effects; sidechaining, compression, busing, filters, attack, decay, sends, returns, automation and how to apply this to my music in order for it to sound good and not just like some person fiddling around in fruity loops.

Does anyone know of a simple to understand resource/s where I can gain this info?
    At my website.

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    Pooky, if you use a compressor on drums, would you use a fast attack or a slower attack?

Why?
    I think a fast attack because you need a punchy sound?
    enoki.co.za

Blog Entries

I think a fast attack because you need a punchy sound?
    Nope. Drums are 'punchy' mostly due to the transients, which are right at the beginning of the hit. If you compress those transients, you diminish the impact of the sound!

So, with drums you want to make sure your attack is long enough to let the transients through, or alternatively, mix together a compressed as hell drum mix, with an uncompressed mix - The uncompressed mix makes sure your transient material is there.

Compression took me years to wrap my head around, and I'm still a super noob.

*edit*

As to release settings with electronic music, you want to time the release with the music's flow and rhythm. Side-chain compression is also going to be your best friend, I'm sure there will be plenty of Youtube tuts on how to do it and why in various DAWs.

And that's where transient shapers come into play. They can give your snares a really punchy snap too

Blog Entries

*edit*

Moved post.
    Last edited by copacetic; 25-03-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast