Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading my wall jack

K.....no electricity here so using my phone. Its not pasting the full link.

Blog Entries

Like this?

Blog Entries

Or is it like this?

The first one from samstores.

Thats the exact one. Then like i said.....you have the female side as well which is a mirror image of that one. The female side is what telkom provided with the previous owner.

Reason for the upgrade is, there might be an increase in line quality. Because as of now i have beeb without internet since the 5th. After complaining about high latency 200+ms to local sites.

Now after the call has been logged as such........no connectivity at all. Have called telkom 9 times. Have two reference numbers.........but cant get a hold of any call center agent for my escalation details which i was told was done last week.

Blog Entries

You can just do it yourself.

Go to Makro or Game and buy one of these...

Then you cut off the wire to the old one and thread it back to expose all the little wires inside.

Find the blue and white wire and strip them back about a centimeter.

Then pop your new little box open and connect the blue and white wires to the little round screws and tighten them.

Screw the little box into your wooden skirting board, and then pop the lid back on.

Bob's your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    What is the supposed benefit of doing that?
    Most 10Mbps and higher ADSL2+ customers are unable to reach the maximum line speeds due to poor line characteristics. Each filter added to the line degrades the performance even further so it is recommended to install one central filter and connect all extensions to this rather than to supply each telephone with a separate filter. There are also large differences in the characteristics of the different filters as the link below shows. In many cases the linespeed can be increased by as much as 2Mbps or more by redoing the existing telephone wiring and installing a good quality central splitter/filter.
    http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yotch View Post
    Most 10Mbps and higher ADSL2+ customers are unable to reach the maximum line speeds due to poor line characteristics. Each filter added to the line degrades the performance even further so it is recommended to install one central filter and connect all extensions to this rather than to supply each telephone with a separate filter. There are also large differences in the characteristics of the different filters as the link below shows. In many cases the linespeed can be increased by as much as 2Mbps or more by redoing the existing telephone wiring and installing a good quality central splitter/filter.
    http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php
    How do you know that filter is better quality than the external one? Do these things have ratings? Is it bigger?

I think that the microfilters that Telkom supplies are supposedly tested by Icasa and usually have a sticker attached. The old POTS filters that I have seem to degrade my linestats quite badly i.e. if I remove all the filters and telephones and read the linestats from the router and then redo the test with the filters and telephones attached my upstream noise figures drop by 1~2dB. Some of the components inside my filters may have been degraded by lightning though. I doubt that they were approved for ADSL2+ since Telkom only introduced this relatively recently. Usually the more components inside the filter the better the performance. The latest Telkom filters (Billion?) might be a lot better. See if there are any changes in your linestats when you disconnect all of your telephones and filters. A small change of 1~2dB could reduce your maximum linespeed significantly when trying to connect at 10Mbps and higher. One central filter will only degrade the linestats by 1/2 or 1/3 as much as two or three separate external filters. The line filters that are often bundled with routers (like those shown in the link above) seem to be really badly designed and do not appear to have undergone any compliance testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    You can just do it yourself.

Go to Makro or Game and buy one of these...

Then you cut off the wire to the old one and thread it back to expose all the little wires inside.

Find the blue and white wire and strip them back about a centimeter.

Then pop your new little box open and connect the blue and white wires to the little round screws and tighten them.

Screw the little box into your wooden skirting board, and then pop the lid back on.

Bob's your uncle.

Ive been reading that some have 4 wires and some have 6?? Don't want to strip the cable if thats the case. As in only have 4 connections available, but have a 6 strand wire. I can't find any documents with the wiring diagrams for these things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Inn3rs3lf View Post
    Ive been reading that some have 4 wires and some have 6?? Don't want to strip the cable if thats the case. As in only have 4 connections available, but have a 6 strand wire. I can't find any documents with the wiring diagrams for these things.
    Think mine came with 6 since I remember them not using 2 (Green/White if I remember right) of the wires,

What I need is the wiring diagram for a protea socket to the standard RJ11 jacks you get now. lol, thought I was a google master, but not finding anything.

Okay, I have been to game, pick n pay, clicks, telkom direct, IC, Hifi corp, and all with no luck of getting the new wall jack. They have the old Protea connection, but not the new ones? What the hell? lol. I have had a look in my offices store room and have taken the ones off the walls (we dont use them). Now, one uses 2 wires, one uses 6 wires and I can't find one that uses 4. And in my case, and with my beautiful luck I've been having, the protea jack will take 4.

Find blue and white lines, stripped of about one centimeter. Then pop open your new box, blue and white wires to HP 97 connection ferry tighten the screw.

Quote Originally Posted by deragoku View Post
    Find blue and white lines, stripped of about one centimeter. Then pop open your new box, blue and white wires to HP 97 connection ferry tighten the screw.
    What an intelligent piece of spam. Almost plausible until you click the link.

LOL... unfortunately you cant paste that link.

It has browser info in it.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12