Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Hilux / Fortuner - High Risk

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Grimspoon View Post
    Yes! I told him about this, he didn't seem interested, but he may change his mind when he sees it, sweet looking 4x4 that!
    The new Ford Ranger is not the same "old Found on Rubbish Dump" we all knew. This one is actually comparable with the Hilux'es.

The Fortuner is a very high-risk theft vehicle. SAPS is working with ToyotaSA on a better anti-theft system (which I see does work).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Grandmaster
    Stellenbosch, Republic of the Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    4x4 automatic = not gonna go off road, yes?
    eh? Auto is better offroad.

I'd say go for the new Ranger, the review in Car magazine has it beating the Hilux by a mile
    --
    ADSL Line: 10Mbps via Afrihost 100Mb Capped

Keep Calm And Engage Low Range

Quote Originally Posted by Slootvreter View Post
    Hook a boat or a caravan and see what happens Truly a LOL.
    Odd that the opinions on 4x4community.co.za, wegsleep.co.za - and personal experience for that matter - indicate otherwise.
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by HapticSimian View Post
    Odd that the opinions on 4x4community.co.za, wegsleep.co.za - and personal experience for that matter - indicate otherwise.
    Semi-personal experience here as well Each to his own, then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Semi-personal experience here as well Each to his own, then...
    For sure. I just think it's myopic to discount the Amarok off the bat because of the "2.0l, lol" engine. Smaller capacity, more aggressively turbo'd engines are where things are invariably headed & the Amarok is at the forefront of that trend. It will invariably have a slightly narrower power band than larger capacity motors, but if that new 8-cog auto is decent - and being a VeeDub it likely will be - you can let the car worry about staying in the correct rev range.

In terms of day-to-day use it's by far the most comfortable bakkie I've driven, and it's damn impressive when the going starts getting rough.
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    eh? Auto is better offroad.

I'd say go for the new Ranger, the review in Car magazine has it beating the Hilux by a mile
    The difference between auto and manual in offroad conditions is that with auto you have better control over the tyres when in certain situations where wheel spin is not desired.

With manual you don't as you can apply too much clutch/power, causing the wheels to spin leaving you stuck.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Ok hold on a second, some are saying the Amarok is no good, some say its decent. . . .Seriously would VW have risked designing a 4x4 that can't even tow a small boat up a hill? My gut says no.

A few more votes for the Ranger. Personally I am going to try punt this to him over the Hilux. It looks better IMO and hopefully isn't as popular with the taxi drivers that need new engines.

I haven't heard anyone mention any mitsubishis? I know way back the Colt was a beast, are they still decent?

Super Grandmaster

All the above are good options.... but this is generally how it goes:
    Fortuner > Amarok
    Hilux ~ Fortuner (since same engine, etc)
    Ranger > Fortuner
    Navara = good, but really pricey (3litre diesel). The 2.5d is decent and fairs well with the Toyota/Ford.

The Isuzu is still solid, but it's fugly.
    Colt.... no idea. Rarely see one. Apart from the fugly bit. It wins in that category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Grandmaster

Also, bear in mind that the D-4D engine in the tuna/Hilux tends to eat injectors - big $$$ when that happens.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    Also, bear in mind that the D-4D engine in the tuna/Hilux tends to eat injectors - big $$$ when that happens.
    My mate just spent R30 000 to replace his and his fortuner has just over 100 000k I think

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Grimspoon View Post
    My mate just spent R30 000 to replace his and his fortuner has just over 100 000k I think
    Jah, yet it's very hush-hush in the 4x4 community. no one wants to come out right and say Toyota is not as reliable as they used to be.
    --

Hook a boat or a caravan and see what happens Truly a LOL.
    I could easily believe it. Turbo chargers and towing don't mix. Especially Turbo chargers and up hills. If you tow the engine probably decreases boost (and therefore power & torque) to prevent damage.

Few years ago VW had problems with Turbo chargers exactly because of them overheating (IIRC), thereafter many manufacturers updated their car ECUs.

I remember exactly that my Mom's Mercedes C220CDI had to get a software update that was specifically aimed at when the car tows (and essentially decreases power as soon as the tow bar is fitted).

Blog Entries

Why get automatic when doing off reading? Or am I missing something?
    Yes you are missing something.

Auto is actually the box of choice with the 4x4 guys.

Far better to handle really difficult stuff in auto rather than manual. I proved this on a really heavy off road course that we did and the autos left the manuals for dead, as well as burnt clutches.

Subaru would be nice, but no auto diesel is available.

Amarok is brilliant, and anyone who thinks that a 2.0 litre diesel is too small doesn't know what he's talking about.

Also worth looking at an Isuzu - not bad at all.

Final Edit to OP - You don't buy a 4x4 because it looks nice....
    Last edited by Fazda; 30-03-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Fazda View Post
    Yes you are missing something.

Auto is actually the box of choice with the 4x4 guys.

Far better to handle really difficult stuff in auto rather than manual. I proved this on a really heavy off road course that we did and the autos left the manuals for dead, as well as burnt clutches.

Subaru would be nice, but no auto diesel is available.

Amarok is brilliant, and anyone who thinks that a 2.0 litre diesel is too small doesn't know what he's talking about.

Also worth looking at an Isuzu - not bad at all.
    I like really never knew that. Always thought that you would want more control over your gear shifting when doing off roading.
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

Blog Entries

I like really never knew that. Always thought that you would want more control over your gear shifting when doing off roading.
    You tend to put your auto into "manual" mode in heavy stuff, like going down steep hills, but the auto copes with everything else very easily.
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast