Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Wii modding nightmare!!!

Default Wii modding nightmare!!!

Hi guys.

I sold my Wii to my sister and the DVD drive packed up(I will explain this again).

I took it back and refunded her money thinking i could have a little fun, so i bought another Wii chassis at ToysRus for R80, plastic primer-ed the case and sprayed the case gold.

I was ready to take this console apart when i realized the chassis replacement didn't even bother to include a triwing screwdriver, eish.

I was too impatient to order one, so i used a flat and eventually got the suckers out, i was committed.

After what felt like hours i had the machine in pieces and discovered the cable ribbon's nipple on the Wii's PCB had broken off and used hot glue to replace the missing nipple.

I put a disc in and it spins, i thought my journey was over until i got a disc error every time i switched the machine on.

As a man with Wii softmodding experience i tried ModMii this time for a change as i did previously update my firmware to 4.2 accidentally to play my Goldeneye with limited edition gold controller(I was impatient).

No big deal i eventually got the machine modded just the way i like with a decent usb loader and multimod with CIOS bundled to ensure perfect compatibility for my games as i still hadn't finished Twilight princess.

I thought to hell with the DVD drive and promptly yanked out the drive.

I contemplated modding it into my LCD TV but i was getting ahead of myself here, i needed to test this modded monster out and bring it back to life!

I fired it up and she boot like a champ....

I installed all necessary apps, and fire up my backup from the Harddrive and im greeted with a disc error.

A DISC ERROR!!!???

WTF!

After spending around R250 on materials and 14 hours of my life trying to save the Wii i have failed.

It sits in front of me in pieces and i cannot think of a use for this machine......

Should i leave in on the train tracks and get another one since i have accessories for it?

Is a Wode jukebox or sunkey chip even worth it at this point since i have seen the console R100 cheaper then a PS2 at my local Cash Crusaders?

If im missing something please enlighten me, can this machine be fixed besides a new DVD drive and ribbon requiring solder to the board or Wode/sunkey or am i now finally allowed to give up?

Dammit im irritated!

Grandmaster

I'm having a chuckle at this, thanks.
    flickr | Fecesbook
    I bow to your superior technique of shooting crap in camera then recovering in post!

Quote Originally Posted by demon angel View Post
    Hi guys.

I sold my Wii to my sister and the DVD drive packed up(I will explain this again).

I took it back and refunded her money thinking i could have a little fun, so i bought another Wii chassis at ToysRus for R80, plastic primer-ed the case and sprayed the case gold.

I was ready to take this console apart when i realized the chassis replacement didn't even bother to include a triwing screwdriver, eish.

I was too impatient to order one, so i used a flat and eventually got the suckers out, i was committed.

After what felt like hours i had the machine in pieces and discovered the cable ribbon's nipple on the Wii's PCB had broken off and used hot glue to replace the missing nipple.

I put a disc in and it spins, i thought my journey was over until i got a disc error every time i switched the machine on.

As a man with Wii softmodding experience i tried ModMii this time for a change as i did previously update my firmware to 4.2 accidentally to play my Goldeneye with limited edition gold controller(I was impatient).

No big deal i eventually got the machine modded just the way i like with a decent usb loader and multimod with CIOS bundled to ensure perfect compatibility for my games as i still hadn't finished Twilight princess.

I thought to hell with the DVD drive and promptly yanked out the drive.

I contemplated modding it into my LCD TV but i was getting ahead of myself here, i needed to test this modded monster out and bring it back to life!

I fired it up and she boot like a champ....

I installed all necessary apps, and fire up my backup from the Harddrive and im greeted with a disc error.

A DISC ERROR!!!???

WTF!

After spending around R250 on materials and 14 hours of my life trying to save the Wii i have failed.

It sits in front of me in pieces and i cannot think of a use for this machine......

Should i leave in on the train tracks and get another one since i have accessories for it?

Is a Wode jukebox or sunkey chip even worth it at this point since i have seen the console R100 cheaper then a PS2 at my local Cash Crusaders?

If im missing something please enlighten me, can this machine be fixed besides a new DVD drive and ribbon requiring solder to the board or Wode/sunkey or am i now finally allowed to give up?

Dammit im irritated!
    You're probably better off buying a standalone Wii unit that is fully working before you continue on more modding adventures.

To do repairs on that 'DIY project gone wrong' is simply not cost effective
    Last edited by maestro_za; 02-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Video game consoles/iPhone/iPad | SA's first 360+PS3 Reballer

Quickflowit.co.za: Professional electronic service company

Quote Originally Posted by maestro_za View Post
    You're probably better off buying a standalone Wii unit that is fully working before you continue on more modding adventures.

To do repairs on that 'DIY project gone wrong' is simply not cost effective
    OMG you are the last person i wanted to hear that from!

No keep trying, try a wode/sunkey, just buy another one?

I value your console expertise and if i had known from the start that a Wii without a DVD drive or broken couldn't work i would have given up ages ago.

You would think the damn console could still work, hooking it up to an external hard drive with bootmii and homebrew installed.

At least im now very intimate with the internals of a Wii and that is priceless.....(Who the hell am i kidding!)

OMG you are the last person i wanted to hear that from!

No keep trying, try a wode/sunkey, just buy another one?

I value your console expertise and if i had known from the start that a Wii without a DVD drive or broken couldn't work i would have given up ages ago.

You would think the damn console could still work, hooking it up to an external hard drive with bootmii and homebrew installed.

At least im now very intimate with the internals of a Wii and that is priceless.....(Who the hell am i kidding!)
    LOL

To be honest, I charge R750 for a replacement DVD-ROM installed. Then you have to factor in shipping and to fix up whatever other faults are found - it's then calculated into the final repair quote.

WODE is rather expensive and due to lack of public interest I don't stock it anymore - Soft-mod is KING nowadays on the WII (that & unbricking )

Quote Originally Posted by maestro_za View Post
    LOL

To be honest, I charge R750 for a replacement DVD-ROM installed. Then you have to factor in shipping and to fix up whatever other faults are found - it's then calculated into the final repair quote.

WODE is rather expensive and due to lack of public interest I don't stock it anymore - Soft-mod is KING nowadays on the WII (that & unbricking )
    Thats for putting it to me straight.
    Its clear now that you are absolutely correct from your previous post.
    R750 for a drive?

OMG thats alot for a Wii but im not surprised.
    I spotted a sports resort console at Cash crusaders for R599 so i may as well buy that.

Im just thinking how many dead Wii's may be lying around absolutely useless without a working DVD drive.......

I reckon its time for a softmod that can bypass the DVD check and make the console functional.

Thanks again.

Thats for putting it to me straight.
    Its clear now that you are absolutely correct from your previous post.
    R750 for a drive?

OMG thats alot for a Wii but im not surprised.
    I spotted a sports resort console at Cash crusaders for R599 so i may as well buy that.

Im just thinking how many dead Wii's may be lying around absolutely useless without a working DVD drive.......

I reckon its time for a softmod that can bypass the DVD check and make the console functional.

Thanks again.
    No problem!

I have to make a living so have to balance the spares price from international suppliers, shipping/import tax, small profit margin and what clients are willing to pay. Not that easy