Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LLU: Bitstream gets a launch date

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    I haven't got a clue as far as the technicalities go, but if you had to hazard a guess, which option do you think the big ISPs (like MWEB) would prefer to have implemented and which option would be the most flexible in terms of product offerings and future innovation?
    Too early to tell, as they say "the devils in the detail". My personal guess, if its a trade off between the layer 2 approach's flexibility & control (more scope for innovation) and the layer 3 one's greater reach, I'd go with the latter. Broadband is essentially a numbers game.

I do think whichever option(s) is chosen, it will be expensive. ISPs will have to commit to sizable upfront expenditure for the longer term differentiation & costing gains. Anyone expecting the benefits to flow through to the end-user market in a rapid manner will probably be dissapointed.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

I do remember people mentioning before that Telkoms "current" BitStream type product that they're testing atm, is a form of IPStream technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    I do remember people mentioning before that Telkoms "current" BitStream type product that they're testing atm, is a form of IPStream technology.
    Well it all depends where ICASA wants to take this process.

By the strictest (original) definitions IPStream is not really bitstream, but in the modern packet based world its close enough from a practical perspective. The jist of it is that the original (packetised) bitstream generated by the subscriber's CPE device is presented to the ISP unaltered (incl session/protocol headers), which is not currently the case with IPConnect.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123