Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Thread: Investment help please

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    Hmmm wtf, how do they give a 6% rate below R10k but 4.xx over that
    Their target market is the people who less. This way they can get a larger customer base since all the "poor" people will go to them moving away from scary giants like SB, FNB and ABSA. My theory anyways.
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Their target market is the people who less. This way they can get a larger customer base since all the "poor" people will go to them moving away from scary giants like SB, FNB and ABSA. My theory anyways.
    So could you open multiple accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    You trying to say I'm poor?

I was also holding off paying my car, much like you but I eventually bit the bullet, dude do it. Just get a settlemt figure and work out how much you will save.

But yeah I like the look of those capitec rates and may actually be moving some savings there soon unless anyone has better options?

And how is their service?
    Sho, man, it's a bitter pill to swallow, I've been saving this money since I was 18, that's 10 years, that's longer than I have had a license, to think I have to give up 10 years savings for a car that will not even match that amount when trading in, it's hard.....It makes sense, I will save a huge amount short term and probably long term, but I'm scared If I give it up now I'll struggle to save that amount again.....

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    Sho, man, it's a bitter pill to swallow, I've been saving this money since I was 18, that's 10 years, that's longer than I have had a license, to think I have to give up 10 years savings for a car that will not even match that amount when trading in, it's hard.....It makes sense, I will save a huge amount short term and probably long term, but I'm scared If I give it up now I'll struggle to save that amount again.....

Yeah me as well, but put it this way, either you can have discipline, or you can force yourself to have discipline by setting up an automated payment to take that money that would have gone for the car to a savings account, like one where you have a 32 or 3 month notice period etc

Best: Start a successful business with it
    Second best: Pay off debts
    Third best: Hedge funds (e.g. http://www.blueink.co.za/ )
    change is inevitable... cognitiveradio.co.za

So could you open multiple accounts?
    Doubt it. You have one Global Account with them to which you can link up to 5 (iirc) fixed deposit accounts.

You trying to say I'm poor?
    You and me both
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

OP: Double check with your car financier/lender whether your interest is simple or compounded. AFAIK they're all simple. What this means is that no matter how much extra you put in, you'll still pay the same total interest, the only thing that will change is how soon it'll be paid off. If it's compounded on the other hand, then yes, it will save you by paying extra.

EDIT: Never mind, just did some browsing, it's compound too.

As for investment. The first and foremost one I'd recommend is someone who can effectively teach you self-control because of this:
    i know if i pay of my car I'll just adjust my living standard and will never force myself in saving....
    As for Capitec, the reason for their relatively high interest rates on < R10k is exactly that, to attract the low-income crowd. If they kept it 6% at sums > R100k they'd have very weak margins and will be playing with the prospects of a net-loss fiscal year. Giving 6% for the < R10k means that a relatively small amount of money will they actually have to pay back 6% on, unlike the big amounts.
    Last edited by UnUnOctium; 18-04-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    change is inevitable... cognitiveradio.co.za

[QUOTE=Hamster;8093804]Doubt it. You have one Global Account with them to which you can link up to 5 (iirc) fixed deposit accounts.

Can have up to 4 linked savings accounts under your one card, I have 4 savings accounts with them just keep each one at R9999.00 and on the 1st of every month in the morning I move the interest to another account. On average each account brings in like R40-R50 per month and costs R1.50 to EFT to another account.

I like it cos it's a decent enough amount of money to have liquid in case of emergencies.

Grandmaster

OP, if you have a lump sum to invest, forget bank interest. You WILL loose money over time taking inflation into consideration.
    Go to www.imaraspreid.co.za and register. Send your FICA docs to them. It's a pain I know, but you will get over it. Deposit your money into your account. You will be registered on the JSE and will get interest more than any bank while you not investing.
    Now it is easy as you can invest even with your cell phone. Or call your broker. Ask for advice etc. You will be allocated a broker that you will get to know personally.
    Just do this. You will not be sorry. You can have a Managed Account that does well over 30% or pick your own shares.
    I was with a Managed Account but now do my own and 60% PA is my average and expect to do better this year.

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    OP, if you have a lump sum to invest, forget bank interest. You WILL loose money over time taking inflation into consideration.
    Go to www.imaraspreid.co.za and register. Send your FICA docs to them. It's a pain I know, but you will get over it. Deposit your money into your account. You will be registered on the JSE and will get interest more than any bank while you not investing.
    Now it is easy as you can invest even with your cell phone. Or call your broker. Ask for advice etc. You will be allocated a broker that you will get to know personally.
    Just do this. You will not be sorry. You can have a Managed Account that does well over 30% or pick your own shares.
    I was with a Managed Account but now do my own and 60% PA is my average and expect to do better this year.
    Thanks for the reply!!
    I had a look at the site, and to be honest, I have absolutely no idea whats going on there, my broker (from SASFIN) is coming to see me on Wednesday, maybe he can inform/help me with this!!, the whole JSE with its Bulls and Bears scares the hell out of me, I’ll rather leave this for someone that actually knows what’s he is doing

Thanks for the reply!!
    I had a look at the site, and to be honest, I have absolutely no idea whats going on there, my broker (from SASFIN) is coming to see me on Wednesday, maybe he can inform/help me with this!!, the whole JSE with its Bulls and Bears scares the hell out of me, I’ll rather leave this for someone that actually knows what’s he is doing

Ya hey I used to feel that way about markets & investments But I have a desire to know what's going on & understand these high risk high returns playing fields so i have started just last year to educate myself with the basics. Hope one day I'll be as sharp as most guys in this forum & use that knowledge to my advantage. Take it one step at a time

IF you are not going to go high risk then definitely pay off your car.

Then just set up a debit order to pay in to a call account, make it equal to the value of your car payment. This will force you to keep saving.

Once you have another lump sum, put that in to a more permanent investment, but just keep out of debt !
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    IF you are not going to go high risk then definitely pay off your car.

Then just set up a debit order to pay in to a call account, make it equal to the value of your car payment. This will force you to keep saving.

Once you have another lump sum, put that in to a more permanent investment, but just keep out of debt !
    The problem is even if i pay the money into my car i will still owe +- R40k.
    I'll talk to my broker regarding the "high risk" option, if i can take like 20 - 40% interest per year, i'll definitely consider it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadre View Post

Ya hey I used to feel that way about markets & investments But I have a desire to know what's going on & understand these high risk high returns playing fields so i have started just last year to educate myself with the basics. Hope one day I'll be as sharp as most guys in this forum & use that knowledge to my advantage. Take it one step at a time
    i even tried registering on the JSE site to try out the "demo", man, i had no farking idea what was going on their, obviously i'm not English, most of you can probably tell, but i cant even pronounce half the words on that site, wish they would provide a day course somewhere on the JSE.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast