Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPad 3 packaging should warn about 4G

Default iPad 3 packaging should warn about 4G

iPad 3 packaging should warn about 4G

Apple distributor should warn customers about South Africa’s lack of “4G”, suggests analyst

Absolutely.

But then there are a lot of handset features that don't work and haven't worked over the years.

Nokia units came with ptt - push to talk although it was never launched; as well as Visual Radio - which was unique to Nokia. They sold Edge on their units via Vodacom, before it was launched. For years handsets have offered 'advice-of-charge' to see in real time how much calls cost, but it's a dud in SA

Rural customers can buy 3G handsets - although there is no 3G coverage and may not be for years.

Handsets offer time-of-day synchronisation with Nits, which is not offered.

Where does it end ...

CPA!!!

To be honest though, it is bad marketing on Apple's side.
    Last edited by JimboBob; 26-04-2012 at 10:30 AM.

What Apple is offering is a 4G capable device. The fact that the networks have not yet provided the service is not Apple's problem.

It is only a problem if the device is sold with a data contract then the vendor at that point needs to be specific that the data contract will only provide 3G speeds and the device is capable of much more.

It's like buying a car that has a top speed of 250 km/hr, and yet the maximum legal speed limit is 120 km/hr. The fact that the roads have the limitation does not stop the manufacturer from producing a higher spec'd car not does the car come with a warning that you will not be able to fully appreciate the full extent of the cars performance in the normal course of events.

Why should we look at this differently ...

Grandmaster

The product can support it, there is no deception going on imo.

Do you expect all ADSL routers capable of 20mbps+ to come with a similar warning label for South Africa?
    Last edited by burn; 26-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Grandmaster

I fully agree with JayN. The problem is not with the product, it is with the network. Sadly, it seems that South Africa will not get this network anytime soon because the allocated spectrum does not allow for LTE. I have the Ipad 3rd generation and it works fine on 3G.

Grandmaster

LTE is not 4G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CellC found this out the hard way...surely apple must also pay

I don't think it's inappropriate for Apple to brand the new iPad as 4G, but what they really need to do is identify it clearly as "North American 4G", and that it will probably NEVER work on LTE outside of North America (and maybe Asia).

It's exactly like one of the local networks selling a device that works on GSM1900 (a uniquely North American band). It has nothing to do with the standards, but with the frequency bands. For LTE, the new iPad uses 700 MHz (Verizon CDMA and HSPA version) or 700/2100 MHz (AT&T HSPA-only version). In South Africa, we will be using Region 1 (EMEA) 800/2600 MHz bands for LTE (one day, maybe, if ICASA ever gets a life and gives Sentech good kick), and the current trial LTE networks are 1800 MHz (also likely to be used in Region 1 mostly). There is an outside chance that we may get 700 MHz here in five years time (by which time there will be an iPad 9!), based on the ITU decision earlier this year, and the ATU decision on the second digital dividend in Kampala this week (we don't have the first one yet!).

It's not Apple's fault that South Africa Inc cannot get its collective act together and deploy commercial LTE - there is obviously trial LTE on Vodacom, MTN, Neotel etc. However, it is their fault that they have excluded the European / African LTE bands from the design of the new iPad, and hence will NEVER work on 4G here. That is the consumer issue. No doubt the next iPad (4?) will cover these bands, once commercial European LTE networks are deployed, but in the mean time, it is a North America 4G device, regardless of branding.

I wonder if it will roam onto North American 4G from here, or if you'll need another SIM.
    Last edited by ads; 26-04-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    "You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes..."

Quote Originally Posted by JayN View Post
    What Apple is offering is a 4G capable device. The fact that the networks have not yet provided the service is not Apple's problem.

It is only a problem if the device is sold with a data contract then the vendor at that point needs to be specific that the data contract will only provide 3G speeds and the device is capable of much more.

It's like buying a car that has a top speed of 250 km/hr, and yet the maximum legal speed limit is 120 km/hr. The fact that the roads have the limitation does not stop the manufacturer from producing a higher spec'd car not does the car come with a warning that you will not be able to fully appreciate the full extent of the cars performance in the normal course of events.

+1

Absolutely agree. We can't add labels to everything, this crap needs to stop.
    Only the ANC will try to deny that e-tolls cost them a ton of votes in Gauteng...

Grandmaster

Apple is currently battling with an Australian consumer group over the labeling of its new iPad as "4G" in the country despite the tablet not being compatible with those networks, but in a recent court filing, Cupertino reportedly says that 3G service in Australia is basically on par with 4G.
    Source
    I came. I saw. I concurred.

https://twitter.com/bitsyzd

Please don't put a sticker on my box. I am not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaarik View Post
    Please don't put a sticker on my box. I am not stupid.
    Umm you bought the iPad

Quote Originally Posted by JimboBob View Post
    Umm you bought the iPad
    Always the noob posters with the fanboyism...

Agree with JayN.. unless our networks roll out 4G on an unsupported band, thus not allowing the iPad to connect while other devices can.

Apple is offering no such thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast