Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you check

Default Do you check

your slips when you sign them at the shops after you have swiped your card?

I do loads of card transactions every day and recently made a mistake by undercharging a gent by R300+ (instead of charging 900 odd, I pushed the 6 on the pad) Anyhow, we are a distributor so it was easy to find the gent however, he has basically said his gain and my loss. I have to pay this shortfall now but I cant help think he must have known I made the mistake when he signed his slip and just kept quiet. Im so pee'ed off with myself although its the first time Ive ever made a mistake like this but am seething that this oke is being such a douche about it.

Sadly for him, next time he wants something from us, the sales team will be inflating his cost to recoup my loss so he has essentially just shot himself in the foot. Just because he wont play nice.

Almost never.

and he is a douche

I always check the amount, otherwise it'd be easy for anyone to rip me off. He must have known about the mistake and kept quiet. Personally, if there's a mistake like this I'll just get them to run the card a 2nd time. Unless of course if their service was crappy to begin with (hence the mistake)

If the invoice says the correct amount and he was only charged R600, I would just charge his card the next time he was in, no matter what he says.

He can take me to court if he wants to...

I don't always check. The guy was a douche, BUT you probably have a sign up to say check your slip as mistakes can't be rectified later, now my question would be why should this only work against the customer?

ITO of the law he has not paid the invoice in full. Surely your invoices are covered by E&OE exclusions or "goods remain property of supplier until paid in full" T&Cs?

Quote Originally Posted by etwylite View Post
    ITO of the law he has not paid the invoice in full. Surely your invoices are covered by E&OE exclusions or "goods remain property of supplier until paid in full" T&Cs?
    Did they accept the payment of R600 odd as not fully paid? Or did they accept the payment and give him the goods?

The guy is still a jerk though and will get charged the difference later.

To answer the OP, not always, granted I usually perform small transactions and majority of those places don't enter the amount manually so no need to check. Those that do it manually of course I check.
    Last edited by KalMaverick; 27-04-2012 at 11:44 AM.

I'll tell you vendors never check the slips they give to me because I've been signing mine "Bollocks" and not one vendor has queried it.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Grandmaster

I always check my slip, as said above if the person is busy chatting with there buddies they can go **** themself. But i have often pointed out an under charge mistake.... Max amount was for about R150..

On the other hand at a garage i have often found to be overcharged on my petrol card, and i also point this out....... This is one place i ALWAYS check..
    http://www.domaincheap.co.za
    Please signup to Dropbox with my referral! Greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by etwylite View Post
    They do but these T&C are more geared towards our account customers(which are majority) and not our cash sales. Often when our systems are down, the sales team have to process invoices by hand and make mistakes calculating vat etc etc and customers may be over-charged but I pride myself in immediately calling the customer and asking for bank details for immediate refund etc etc. I guess I just expected the same courtesy.

Anyhow, given our industry, this moron will be needing us again and now he might as well save himself the trouble and go to his nearest retail outlet.

Unless of course if their service was crappy to begin with (hence the mistake)
    I hear you on this too but our service is good. :P I have to process invoices and take payment at the same time, sometimes the queue is long but generally everyone is happy to stand and talk *** with me while they wait. This guy is just a scumbag-plain and simple.

I'll tell you vendors never check the slips they give to me because I've been signing mine "Bollocks" and not one vendor has queried it.
    Haha, we have someone who always signs "anyone" . Ive never queried it but I know thats not his name!

Anyway, people that dont check, maybe should start.

Went and bought two tyres last year for R1280.

Cash receipt said R1280.....guy made a mistake on the amount on the keypad when doing my card payment. He added an extra zero.
    All I see on the pin pad is enter pin, it never shows for what amount, which pisses me off. So I push in my pin it goes through, and I never checked the Cheque card receipt. Only see later that night I paid R12800 for two tyres!!!

Luckily the guy also noticed when cashing up and called me first thing in the morning to reverse transaction as I was on my way to see him, lol.

It was an honest mistake, he also called me to fix it, but ever since then I checked the till receipt and the amount on the Cheque Card slip. I also have sms updates now on any amounts into or out of my account.

But the big problem I have is whenever you pay by card and are asked to enter your pin, you cant actually see the amount you are authorising before until after the receipt comes out! Where do you stand if someone puts in an inflated amount and wont refund you? The banks could say you have authorised with a pin and wont refund you?

Went to dinner with a bunch of friends and the one was leaving early, so she paid her share by card, it was supposed to be R60.00 but the waiter thought she said R600.00, anyway when the bill came and we were all paying, the waiter kept very quiet about it, thinking he was going to go home with a massive tip, luckily we went through all the slips
    dear julius malema, desmond tutu, joey barton, barcelona, uefa, na$ri: ..|..

I always check. Once I went to fill up with petrol (using company petrol card), least to say the teller added a few digits extra, landed up going through as R15 000 for 50L of petrol lol. Needless to say there and then I phoned the investigation department and informed them (before HR pick it up and try to accuse me off trying to score big time).
    This issue was rectified the very same day. Sure the manager of the petrol station caught a fright when the investigators started climbing down his back lol.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Gory51 View Post
    But the big problem I have is whenever you pay by card and are asked to enter your pin, you cant actually see the amount you are authorising before until after the receipt comes out! Where do you stand if someone puts in an inflated amount and wont refund you? The banks could say you have authorised with a pin and wont refund you?
    You can still lodge a complaint against them.

Quote Originally Posted by KalMaverick View Post
    Did they accept the payment of R600 odd as not fully paid? Or did they accept the payment and give him the goods?
    It would be quite easy to show it isn't paid in full.

When doing so for a client, I always check the amount before getting them to enter pin,(the pinpad we use does show amount for client to verify first before entering the pin) and I double check at the same time.
    When swiping for my own purchases, I don't really check but I do see my sms's after.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast