Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Multiple Modems & Line Speed

Default Multiple Modems & Line Speed

I hope someone can help me with this and that I donít sound confusing trying to describe my problem. I know itís not possible having 2 DSL modems on 1 subscriber line, by splitting the line and having the 2 modems run individual subscriptions, at least this is what I have been told, so if this is wrong please correct me. What I want to know is can I split a line, have 2 modems running the same subscription? My reason for wanting to do this is that my modem is in my office studio at home, which must stay locked up when Iím not personally there due to equipment and data on my PCís in there. I have a separate entrance which I gave to a friend to stay in that lost his farm and everything in Zimbabwe, he was using a wireless connection to my modem, but because of the distance of the separate from my house there was constantly reception issues and also some other issues we thought was caused because it was a wireless connection where he needed to reset the modem. I have had cables laid to the separate, a network cable and a phone line, and although the reception issues is now in the past, it still happens that he need to reset the modem sometimes like when it maybe freeze up or something and I often leave the country for a month or more at a time. So Iím wondering if itís possible to put another modem on the phone line in the separate that runs the same or even a different subscription to the modem in my office so that when Iím unavailable and the modem needs to get a reset that he will be able to just reset the modem in the separate by him?
    Then just one more thing, whets the best way to connect your PC to a DSL modem, like the fastest connection? With a network cable I see it says it runs at 100.0Mbps, is that the fastest and is that sufficient for a 8 or 10 mbps DSL line, or would I need to get a different cable or connection when I upgrade to a faster DSL service?

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

If you got a large data cap and you not worried about usage then yes , a seperate modem with the same connection will be fine as long as you switch off your modem. Reason i say switch off is most iSPs allow only one connection to be dialed out (concurrent connection) so as long as you switch off your modem, he will be able to connect with the same modem.

Try to cut down your cost aswell, have him pay if possible for a prepaid account (Afrihost / Axxess) are cheap.

Running a wired connection will be best and the 100MB speed is local network speed and doesn't effect your DSL speed. Only if you moving large data between PCs would you need it faster but that is not the case with you.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Like you said, you cannot have 2 ADSL modems up and running on the same telephone line. You can have 2 connected as long as 1 of them is switched off, then the other one would work.

Personally I can't recommend that you go for multiple ADSL modems on a single line, because you'll always have a chance that one of them is switched on when the other person wants to switch on his ADSL modem - but if you're going to ensure that only 1 is switched on at a time, then it should work without any issues.

The best solution would be to get an ADSL modem that is stable, unlike yours. This way you won't have a need for 2 separate ADSL modems on a single line. I'm still using an ancient Telkom 5100 ADSL modem (does not even have WiFi) and I haven't had to reset it ever in my life.

If you connect to your modem at 100Mbps, then you should be fine for any ADSL connection. The only time that you're going to have issues is if you connect via 10Mbps LAN to say a 24Mbps ADSL connection. As long as your LAN connection is faster than your upstream/Internet connection, you should get your full Internet speed.