Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: weird spam mails

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default weird spam mails

Hi there

Received two buggers, these doesn't make sense to me :

most important thing for us was total calm. There was no rush. The wind was anchovy to a hungry old gull chasing him. I could be spending all this There's that ditch where Slimy ended up, just two yards from their road.
    Jonathan," and vanished into thin air.

had particularly changed in it. Like everything was the way it was thirty will find, even in the most brutalized of translations, a strength and
    He turned without a single word. I looked--there was nothing on his
    "Well, what happens from here? Where are we going? Is there no such
    Unless the spammer is testing something out... what do you think?

Regards

Libs
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Grandmaster

Is that all they say? Usually there is the actual spam part where they advertise what they are trying to get you to buy and then they put a little nonsense paragraph like that below. Ive always assumed its to confuse spam filters or something.
    "We live in a monetary paradigm that demands infinite growth, so balance is not possible." Michael C. Ruppert

Blog Entries

That's all that's in the mails... maybe it's to throw the spam filters completely off...

yes, usually they put the advert first, then a block of nonsense...

they once had passages from 'The Hobbit'... maybe we can get the lawyers from the Tolkien estate to sue them?

Grandmaster

Spammers often get so wrapped up in trying to bypass filters and anti-span measures I think they sometimes forget to actually put their advert in there!
    "We live in a monetary paradigm that demands infinite growth, so balance is not possible." Michael C. Ruppert

Super Grandmaster

i get like 6 spam e-mails daily and they are alway's the same?!
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmeister View Post
    LOL I have the exact same lava lamp

Blog Entries

Aspersie's lucky - a mail filter like Mailwasher should sort these out...

I've had a shufti at some of these "empty" spam mails, seems they're taking random passages from random books... somebody's doing a LOT of trouble just to bypass spam filtering...

gah... they're probably trying to choke the spam filters with useless non-spam data.
    Last edited by The_Librarian; 12-07-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Super Grandmaster

thanks for the info will check if it works...
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmeister View Post
    LOL I have the exact same lava lamp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freshy-ZN
    Spammers often get so wrapped up in trying to bypass filters and anti-span measures I think they sometimes forget to actually put their advert in there!

Greetings,

I've been getting some wierd spam of late in my gmail account. Some supposed stock market tips... It bypasses my spam filter by using images, talk about a pain, i get like 5 of them a day... They maybe legit but you won't see me testing it first

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Shintorojin
    Greetings,

I've been getting some wierd spam of late in my gmail account. Some supposed stock market tips... It bypasses my spam filter by using images, talk about a pain, i get like 5 of them a day... They maybe legit but you won't see me testing it first
    You know I have had at least 2 years of spam free bliss on my email (i use my own domain and host it on my own rented server)

Now just recently I have started getting like 5 or 6 of these stock market tip spam emails as well. The same forking ones with images instead of text.

Im very careful aboutgiving out my personal email and when I need to sign up on a site or give someone a contact email i just make one up. For example if I have to give my email address when signing up for Amazon.com i would give them amazon@mydomain.co.za

I have a catchall setup on my server so i have all emails forwarded to my personal email me@mydomain.co.za

If I get spammed I can easily see who is the root cause and I can also easily make any emails sent to the offending address stop.

But somehow these buggers and their stock market tips gave gotten hold of my personal email.......

And if you had to ask me I would suspect Virgin Money! They are the only ones who I recently gave my real email to and the spam started about the same time. Can anyone else who is receiving these stock tips connect this to Virgin Money?
    Last edited by Freshy-ZN; 12-07-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian
    Aspersie's lucky - a mail filter like Mailwasher should sort these out...
    I really can recommend mailwasher. I thought everyone was using it already. It is simple yet brilliant.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Blog Entries

Mailwasher works quite well for single PC's, but for a networked environment you'll need something else.

I can recommend the dspam mfilter implementation on Smoothwall as it implements graylisting, which cuts spam down to an effective 99.99%. Unfortunately it is for SMTP inbound only at this stage. There are other spam filtering methods out there which is free, and works just as well as their commercial equivalents.

My recommendation is to select a program or method which is the easiest to implement and use, as you will use this a lot, and when I say "a lot" then I meant it. But the main criteria is a "quarantine area" from which you can release false positives, because these will occur sooner or later.

Libs
    Last edited by The_Librarian; 12-07-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Master

If you are running a postfix or sendmail MTA you should look at SpamAssassin. It will run on other MTA's as well.

NO spam gets through my gmail account, although there are many in the Spam folder. If you aren't using gmail, what you can maybe do is redirect all your email's through gmail and it can filter everything out..

Librarian I got the same mail. And I also get some other weird ones involving penises and gold watches
    Sensationall revoolution in medicine!

E''nlarge your p''enis up to 10 cm or up to 4 inches!

Its h'erbal solution what hasnt side effect, but has 100% guaranted results!

Dont lose your chance and but know wihtout doubts, you will be impressed with results!

Clisk here: http://lcenders.net
    Keep getting ***** like that

I get no spam on my gmail account but the email address that I use locally gets tons of them. Is it possible that this is confined to local email addresses only?
    Last edited by Highflyer_GP; 13-07-2006 at 02:19 AM.
    Procrastination is like masturbation. It may feel good at first, but when you look at the task at hand, you're actually screwing yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast