Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cell C microsim pricing - still a ripoff

Default Cell C microsim pricing - still a ripoff

I have used Cell C for my data since their first 2gb/month deal on prepaid (12 months once off payment)
    When that finished, i went to their 5g/month deal on prepaid (12 months once off payment)
    Now i have got their 200gb/year deal, until November

So basically Cell C has been my data provider for more than 2 years.

I just bought a new tablet, and it requires a microsim. I will be getting a phone in 2 weeks which also requires a microsim. So i went down to my local Cell C to get myself some microsim cards. Cell C are still charging R49 for microsims at their stores. This is a ridiculous price when you can get microsims for R1 elsewhere.

Considering that most smartphones use micro or nano sims, and a Cell C sim can only benefit Cell C in terms of topups, i feel it is very shortsighted of them to continue this silly policy.

What do you think?

Their franchise stores need to make a profit cause they not busy like V stores. I know you can go to their head office/sandton city(flagship) and pay R20 for a microsim card and I was under the impression the microsim card costed R149.
    I know it's ridiculous have seen microsim cards with the following operators for R1 8ta,mtn Vodacom R20.

What's the cost of microsim to produce ?
    Loving technology&gadgets own a Samsung Galaxy S4, Ativ S , Apple iPad4 Cellular 64 GB, i7 ivy bridge - Porting Successful

Grandmaster

Can't you get a microsim cutter? Or even cut the sim by hand? It is extremely easy with something like the scissors on a Swiss Army knife.

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...cro-sim-681020

Am getting my cutter on ebay, but it still riles me up that they dont understand that by giving me the microsim cheap, that they are going to reap the benefits.

Have you seen in the supermarkets and places like that there are buckets full of normal sim cards selling at R0.99 . Mind you at the vodacom shop at the airport, they still selling normal simcards for R149 or something stupid like that (with no airtime iincluded of course)

I swapped my microsim for R1.
    Rosebank mall.

When my brother first bought his iPhone 4 he paid R130 for his micro SIM card. So R49 is a better price, but still a rip off IMO.

I just cut my SIM cards, cheapest way so far with Cell C.

I just cut mine too. It works perfectly.

Downloaded a template off the net : http://www.thechinacellphone.com/micro_sim_template.pdf
    Printed it out, drew the cut lines on the sim, and used a sharp scissors to cut it.

Put it in my tablet, and bobs yr uncle, it works perfectly. Went to the "my Cell C" portal on the internet and.......it has been down since yesterday, so i cant even check my balance or anything. Hvnt got a microsim phone yet, so am stuck until it gets back up.

Thank you, Cell C

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imranpanji View Post
    I have used Cell C for my data since their first 2gb/month deal on prepaid (12 months once off payment)
    When that finished, i went to their 5g/month deal on prepaid (12 months once off payment)
    Now i have got their 200gb/year deal, until November

So basically Cell C has been my data provider for more than 2 years.

I just bought a new tablet, and it requires a microsim. I will be getting a phone in 2 weeks which also requires a microsim. So i went down to my local Cell C to get myself some microsim cards. Cell C are still charging R49 for microsims at their stores. This is a ridiculous price when you can get microsims for R1 elsewhere.

Considering that most smartphones use micro or nano sims, and a Cell C sim can only benefit Cell C in terms of topups, i feel it is very shortsighted of them to continue this silly policy.

What do you think?
    At MTN I paid R130 for my micro sim a little while ago. R50 is a bargain.

I payed about R20 for mine (R18 to be exact).

I paid r29 for mine, only learned afterwards that I could have used a scissor and got the same result

By the way, the Cell C account portal is still down : https://www.cellc.co.za/my-account

Ridiculous, i must say, so cant heck my airtime balance...grrrr.....

By the way, the Cell C account portal is still down : https://www.cellc.co.za/my-account

Ridiculous, i must say, so cant heck my airtime balance...grrrr.....
    You can use *101# or *147# from your phone.

No USSD on google nexus 7 tablet.

Other options?

Grandmaster

No USSD on google nexus 7 tablet.

Other options?
    Get a cheap sim adapter and put it back in your phone?

I couldn't believe it today when I walked into a cellc branch and found that the micro sims were 2800% more expensive than the standard sims and the nano sim was a whopping 11800% more! And the kind lady behind the counter informed me, all knowingly, that it would be impossible for me to cut the standard SIM to fit.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast