Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: iPod - Windos vs. MAC format

Default iPod - Windos vs. MAC format

Both my iPods are Windows formatted, as I didn't have a Mac when I got the both of them.

I would assume that it is possible to reformat the iPod using the Update software from Apple (I recall something about resetting EVERYTHING by using the iPod software).

But now, is it really worth the effort to change them from Windows to MAC, as I only connect them to my MAC. The Windows format runs on MAC, and it seems to be fine, but would I gain anything by reformatting to MAC format?

EDIT: And while we are in iPods ... why in the world did Apple decide to NOT build firewire support into the iPod Video units. What a waste
    Last edited by LandyMan; 11-09-2006 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Brain fart
    Flickr Photos
    Google it you moron
    Vernon Koekemoer sal jou doodmaak, stadig en aaklig

I use the Mac Format. There are one or two small benifit's iirc.
    It is really easy to change as well. Just run iPod Updater (In the utilities folder) and tell it to. You type in the name of your iPod and it is done. All your music/tv shows/photo's/calendars/etc will be automatically updated

Quote Originally Posted by LandyMan View Post
    But now, is it really worth the effort to change them from Windows to MAC, as I only connect them to my MAC. The Windows format runs on MAC, and it seems to be fine, but would I gain anything by reformatting to MAC format?

EDIT: And while we are in iPods ... why in the world did Apple decide to NOT build firewire support into the iPod Video units. What a waste
    I would think that for major uploads to the ipod having them mac formatted would be faster. I also use mine in disk mode all the time for file backups and have even gone so far as to boot off it - its an ipod photo which means firewire.

You mention you have two so why not change one and see if its worth the effort?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by bwana v.17 View Post
    I would think that for major uploads to the ipod having them mac formatted would be faster. I also use mine in disk mode all the time for file backups and have even gone so far as to boot off it - its an ipod photo which means firewire.

You mention you have two so why not change one and see if its worth the effort?
    Firewire ... hmmmm, yummie! Why oh why did they not add the support on the Video versions. schmucks!

At the end of the day I can try one of them, worst comes to worst I have to transfer 6000 songs again, nothing else that can really go wrong. Guess I'll try on mine, my wife won't be too impressed if she switches on her iPod and there's no music on
    Flickr Photos
    Google it you moron

Firewire ... hmmmm, yummie! Why oh why did they not add the support on the Video versions. schmucks!
    I guess for size.

Unfortunately where firewire comes standard on Macs it's not as common on pc's. Pity as its superior to usb2 for many things. Then again so was betamax but they lost out to VHS.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Why for size? My iPod photo 30Gb is roughly the same size as the 60Gb video, and it has firewire support. I are confused (or I are baboon )
    Flickr Photos
    Google it you moron

Super Grandmaster

Apie!!

iPod rulz!!!
    What the mind can conceive, it can achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by lilDeath View Post
    Apie!!
    LOL!
    Flickr Photos
    Google it you moron

Why for size? My iPod photo 30Gb is roughly the same size as the 60Gb video, and it has firewire support. I are confused (or I are baboon )
    I guess size isnt as important as saving a few $'s.

A lot probably has to do with giving ppl who dont have usb2 on their older machines a reason to upgrade. Me - I'm keeping my 60gb iPod photo.
    Ron White was right