Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free Internet through Virgin Mobile?

Default Free Internet through Virgin Mobile?

Hey All

So here it goes I have been hearing rumours that you can get free internet through Virgin's system is this true and legal? Should I post the method as to how to get free IE access on this forum? Or is there a virgin representitive <sp> that I should pm?

Regards,
    Anakha56

Banned

Post away. Most other posts have been rather vague.

If you have R0.00c in your account then you can still surf the WAP on your phone.

well if you connect to vmobile on ur pc if your money is finished then it still works.. with a littlebit of limitations. I Am on the net right now with no cash and no programs and can surf the net anywhere i want but not allowed to use programs like p2p or torrent managers or msn just surf and dload from any site.
    thats what I have heard. is this a loophole or is it legit?

Banned

Sounds OK to me. The networks often play with billing to get you excited. Then sometimes they cock things up. It's hard to tell the difference.

I'll try it later. Do you have to use up your credit first, then reconnect??

'Coz in the past when my money has run out it just stops and I have to find something else to do.

Have you tried this with V0/V100 - which?

i myself have not tried it, i am on vodacom, so i dont know how it works. nor do i know which package this guy is talking about. i am just trying to find out if its legal or not...

Grandmaster

Anakha56, that loophole isn't that much of loophole. When your balance is R0.00, you can still connect GPRS, but the connection stalls after about 52KB of data transfer and then you have to reconnect before you can continue using it. Not much use for anything other than MXit on your phone. As VM customers will have noticed, VM GPRS (normal settings) is free at the moment anyway, even if you have airtime.
    "Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said." - Mark Twain

CAPETOWN,I have a device,I see telkom/thread killa/neotel.mm
    Blog Entries

Can any one give me the gprs universal settings for vm.I just bought that sim today,but as usual the sim was not provisioned,Have to wait 2 days for them to sort it out.
    here is a new members tip
    customwerkz hosted by domaincheap

I had a dj...dream

Banned

I've been monitoring VM for a while this evening. My credit is reducing, albeit at quite a reduced rate. VM is pretty slow and cranky. Some downloads are not completing, pages are not loading fully etc. Anyone else experiencing that??

@dablakmark
    The APN is vdata. The rest of the entries are blank. You don't need the init string either.
    Get the WAP settings via the VM menu which will appear when you turn your phone on.

Grandmaster

My VM GPRS is fine - occasionally I get a stall, but nothing a quick reconnect doesn't fix.

@Skeptik, when you say "reduced rate" do you actually get charged for data transfer, or do you also only pay a R1 deposit to connect of which 99c is refunded when you disconnect?
    "Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said." - Mark Twain

i dont seem to be geting the free internet on virgin... seems to charge me all the time, do u use a proxy for free web or not? on opera or ie?

Grandmaster

@ Sony 3G, I do use a proxy. I posted my setup in detail near the bottom of the page here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...t=59553&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    I've been monitoring VM for a while this evening. My credit is reducing, albeit at quite a reduced rate. VM is pretty slow and cranky. Some downloads are not completing, pages are not loading fully etc. Anyone else experiencing that??
    This is pretty much the same as my experience here in Durban.

I'm quite new to this mobile internet business, so maybe I haven't got the settings right. Using a Nokia N80 I accepted the Virgin data settings when I inserted the SIM card into the phone. I then connect the phone to the laptop with a data cable and using the Nokia PC Suite software I connect to the internet with N80 as a USB modem.

I enter vdata into the access point field in the manual connection wizard and it connects me. According to XP I have a connection of 57kbps, but I don't think its quite that fast...more like 24kbps.
    And this is the bottom line.

Banned

The connection should say 115kbps. Typical actuals are from 5kbps downwards. Unless you are on edge. Try downloading a file and see what the rate is.

Edwe: it is charging me. I haven't worked out if it does it onloy during connection. I'll keep looking.

...I can confirm.

Since sunday, it hasnt been charging. Normally what would happen is that it would bomb out after, like, 52kb or something like that, but this time its different. Just no p2p, but you can d/l from web sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devill View Post
    Suck it boodles ..!.
    Quote Originally Posted by alf101 View Post
    As someone once said:
    Suck it boodles ..!.

Talking Proxy settings

Hi guys.

I am also quite new to this mobile internet setup. I also bought myself a virgin card recently, and with that started playing around with the settings. But Virgin Mobile inet seems to respond differently to different configs. At this point ive got a 5kbps connection that isn't quit free and when my balance reaches R00.00 my speed drops and it also bails around 52Kb downloads.

Ive been reading topics on this forum for awhile now, figuring stuff out as i go.

Edwe, i followed up on this particular thread not to long ago, but it seems that i was a bit to late to obtain your proxy settings. Could you possibly mail them to me?

And, is there anyone here that has tried terminal service sessions with there mobiles? Just trying to find out where i could obtain more "AT" commands to pass to my mobile, would like to see how it responds.

Thanx a mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwe View Post
    @ Sony 3G, I do use a proxy. I posted my setup in detail near the bottom of the page here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...t=59553&page=2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast