Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 192021 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 301

Thread: DataSIM: one voice contract and Data SIM Cards that share a Contract Data Bundle

  1. #256
    Super Grandmaster BBSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Guptastan
    Posts
    6,345

    Default

    Nice to see they have sorted out LouisVanAlphen, now can they please arrange for data sims to work on Top-up contracts

  2. #257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBSA View Post
    Nice to see they have sorted out LouisVanAlphen, now can they please arrange for data sims to work on Top-up contracts
    BBSA, I can assure you that doing this for Topup is way more complex than for contract. Even though Topup looks like a contract offer, the billing and session control is done in a realtime fashion on the prepaid platform. So in reality Topup is really more like prepaid from a network perspective.

    The prepaid billing is done on a basis of quota reservations that happen in the background while you are on a call. The quota reservation is done in advance for the period it represents. Let's say your call is set up (initiated). There is a quota reservation of let's say 10 seconds (not sure what the real quota is). This means that 10 seconds' worth of money is deducted from your prepaid account. The network will now allow you 10secs worth of talking. Just before the 10 seconds have elapsed, another quota is reserved. This happens continuously while you are on the call until you terminate the call or you run out of money.

    The same happens for data. However, if you have multiple sessions (consumers of the data bundle) it gets way more complicated. Each session continually reserves quotas to allow you to use a block of data. Now, when you run out of money, the session for which the quota reservation failed, will terminate. But the fact is that the other session still has some quota and may even not be using it. The effect is that you still have some quota available in the 2nd session, but the 1st one terminated due to insufficient data bundle. This is the kind of customer experience you want to avoid.

    The above is a very simplified view of how (I think) it works, just to illustrate the complexity in the prepaid environment.

    Contract (post-paid) billing is easy. The (data) usage events come from the network into the billing system. Regardless of which of your SIMs originated the event, the cost is accrued to the associated account and the usage deducted from any data bundle you may have. Because a contract subscriber pays for it after use, there is no need for complex in-session control, quota reservations, etc, etc.

  3. #258
    Resident Lead Bender Ockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Henceforth AKA OckieMoto :-)
    Posts
    27,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisVanAlphen View Post
    BBSA, I can assure you that doing this for Topup is way more complex than for contract. Even though Topup looks like a contract offer, the billing and session control is done in a realtime fashion on the prepaid platform. So in reality Topup is really more like prepaid from a network perspective.

    The prepaid billing is done on a basis of quota reservations that happen in the background while you are on a call. The quota reservation is done in advance for the period it represents. Let's say your call is set up (initiated). There is a quota reservation of let's say 10 seconds (not sure what the real quota is). This means that 10 seconds' worth of money is deducted from your prepaid account. The network will now allow you 10secs worth of talking. Just before the 10 seconds have elapsed, another quota is reserved. This happens continuously while you are on the call until you terminate the call or you run out of money.

    The same happens for data. However, if you have multiple sessions (consumers of the data bundle) it gets way more complicated. Each session continually reserves quotas to allow you to use a block of data. Now, when you run out of money, the session for which the quota reservation failed, will terminate. But the fact is that the other session still has some quota and may even not be using it. The effect is that you still have some quota available in the 2nd session, but the 1st one terminated due to insufficient data bundle. This is the kind of customer experience you want to avoid.

    The above is a very simplified view of how (I think) it works, just to illustrate the complexity in the prepaid environment.

    Contract (post-paid) billing is easy. The (data) usage events come from the network into the billing system. Regardless of which of your SIMs originated the event, the cost is accrued to the associated account and the usage deducted from any data bundle you may have. Because a contract subscriber pays for it after use, there is no need for complex in-session control, quota reservations, etc, etc.
    /goes cross eyed
    /vals vlou from info overload

    hits blue screen

    OC is dead
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

  4. #259

    Default

    <Laugh> Hmm well yes maybe my explanation is too complex... but then it is quite a complex problem. Just wanted to illustrate to BBSA that a DataSIM on Topup is not the same as on contract and is actually fairly difficult depending on what platforms you use. The latest policy and billing management platforms can do this.

  5. #260
    Super Grandmaster AirWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Port Shepstone, KZN, RSA, EARTH
    Posts
    13,017

    Default

    So even though I'm using a Blackberry on a top up contract with BIS enable, I still can't get a data-sim. In theory only one device would be using the "normal" data bundle (and yes I know that some applications and sites do not use BIS eg. Youtube).

  6. #261
    Super Grandmaster BBSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Guptastan
    Posts
    6,345

    Default

    Thanks for the explanation Louis. So I can assume this is not going to happen in my life time. I think I'm just going to get a Cell C sim for my modem. It is going to cost me R999 but atleast I will have a solution.

  7. #262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBSA View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Louis. So I can assume this is not going to happen in my life time. I think I'm just going to get a Cell C sim for my modem. It is going to cost me R999 but atleast I will have a solution.
    Yes not sure when/if it wil happen. Good luck

  8. #263
    Super Grandmaster AirWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Port Shepstone, KZN, RSA, EARTH
    Posts
    13,017

    Default

    Top Up always gets the short end of the stick even though it was introduced as having the advantages of both prepaid and contract (but they forgot to mention that you get saddled with the disadvantages as well).

  9. #264

    Default iPhone + iPad Data Sharing

    Hi All

    I have a vodacom iPhone contract, + I buy a data bundle every month, I want to know if I can share this bundle between my iPhone and iPad - i.e. buy another sim card from VC and simultaneously access the data.

    I have a twin sim option at the moment, the problem with this is, one device must be off for the other to work.

    I dont want voice on the iPad - just data..

  10. #265

    Default

    You want DataSIM not twin sim. You can now have up to 5 SIMs on one contract since the most recent changes.
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

    We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

  11. #266

    Default Duplicate micro sim for 3G router

    I have a data bundle (2+2gb) for my iPad which is working great. Now I wish to use the same account/sim data bundle on my wifi 3G router. My initial thoughts are that I would have 2 sim cards liked to one account. This would allow for my iPad to work as is with existing micosim and the router to use a replicated standard sim off the same data bundle. Naturally only one of the sims can be on at a time, just like with a car phone setup.

    Vodacom has informed me this is not possible due to this function not being available yet for data. Now this is interesting as it works perfect with my handset and car phone for voice.

    So my question to the forum is can this be done, can I get the micro sim duplicated somewhere and where if possible?

  12. #267

    Default

    They should be able to issue you with a new sim on the same account and allocate the data to that. I'm fairly positive on this... could be wrong.

  13. #268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WoW View Post
    I have a data bundle (2+2gb) for my iPad which is working great. Now I wish to use the same account/sim data bundle on my wifi 3G router. My initial thoughts are that I would have 2 sim cards liked to one account. This would allow for my iPad to work as is with existing micosim and the router to use a replicated standard sim off the same data bundle. Naturally only one of the sims can be on at a time, just like with a car phone setup.

    Vodacom has informed me this is not possible due to this function not being available yet for data. Now this is interesting as it works perfect with my handset and car phone for voice.

    So my question to the forum is can this be done, can I get the micro sim duplicated somewhere and where if possible?
    Hi , can you provide your 3G number , i would like to see what package you are on?

  14. #269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VodacomData View Post
    Hi , can you provide your 3G number , i would like to see what package you are on?
    Looks like the 2+2 promo. DataSIM is available AFAIK?

    Sounds like they got confused with Twin-SIM which probably is not available on the 2+2?

  15. #270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jannievanzyl View Post
    Looks like the 2+2 promo. DataSIM is available AFAIK?

    Sounds like they got confused with Twin-SIM which probably is not available on the 2+2?
    oc confirmed that it is, but some shops still don't know what DataSIM is and others are unaware of the recent changes to the product.
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

    We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 192021 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •